RC10.44 : Shaft Drive 4WD RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Re: RC10.44 : Shaft Drive 4WD RC10

Post by Bubbleboy »

Hey guys, I got my Shapeways front suspension pieces and did a test fit of the suspension travel with the B44.3 dogbones in place. They are 81.4mm long, and bind at the 2/3 travel mark.

I need a favour. If you guys have variety of spare dogbones, can you measure them end to end. It appears that I will need something around 77-78mm long, then let me know what model they are from?

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Thanks!
I killed an Edinger...the shame

Corsa
Approved Member

Post by Corsa »

I'm sorry I can't offer much help, but I'm lovin' what you're going, keep going.

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

My opinion on this kind of ideas are.
Everything that is not made of an rc car maker is nice just like this one..
We need more pics....
Jerzi

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

this is bad ass 8)

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Playing with it this morning I think I can with almost certainty say that a 77mm dogbone will work.

To try and get the front tranny as far forward as possible, I swapped the L&R arm mounts and installed the shock tower closer to the nose. Adjusting the tranny forward 1/4", it doesn't appear to make a difference with the binding. What it does do is gives me a little more relief in the distance between the output shaft and the nose tube. So the shock tower config may or may not stay. I'll determine that after I get the proper size dogbones.

Here's a pic with the axel support by two bearings...as it should, and it binds.

If I remove the inner bearing on the steering block, the axel moves 2mm outwards. I can then get full travel. I also had found that when I mounted the tranny, I was off center by 2mm, so adjusting it by 1mm back, and then using a 77.1mm dogbone, I should have 1mm to spare.

I posted on Facebook inquiring about dogbone lengths and a guy mentioned he has a 77.1mm AE shaft. He just can't remember which car it was from. If you guys have the time, and the parts, can you please rummage through your spares.

Much thanks!

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Check the rear shafts from the 44 series. Something is telling me they are shorter in my head...darn voices!!
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

I have the shafts listed in the Ten4 build coming, but I have a very bad feeling this is another set of 81.4mm shafts.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Still waiting for B44 CVAs to come in. As these are 78mm long, I was able to confirm with Associated that the slipper CVA kit for the B44.3 has one shaft that is 77mm long. I might just order a set now, ready to expect the worse.

So a little work on the rear then. With the B44 outdrives being a bit longer I was running into binding issues. As the B44.3 diffs don't have a diff nut to contend with, it was time to pull out the B44.1 diff and use the permanent B44.3 rear tranny. I then drilled out the rear hub with a 3/8 bit by 3mm. Re-inserting the bearings, putting the stock RC10 re-re CVA in, followed by a 9751 crush tube, I was then able to put my B4.2, 12mm clamping hex nut. Test fitting a rim, showed I had enough clearance, although the rear shock had to be mounted one hole inwards. The shocks also required to have ten of the 0.75mm black limiters put in so the dogbone wouldn't jump out of the carrier.

Couple of things to note. Use a drill press to be more accurate while drilling the hubs. I'll use the neighbors next time and am going to try going down 2.5mm instead of 3mm. When tightening the wheel nut, the CVA snugged up to the hub a little too much and rubbed. I'll update the post after my second (and not hopefully third) attempt. Will this leave enough material between the bearings for axle rigidity....we'll see, as we won't really know until I run it.

Got the extended nose piece. After tapping the mounting holes a quick test fit found that I will have more room for the bellcranks. Whether or not I can use the stock ones....stay tuned. I'll get the hole cut in it drop the tranny in and see. Looks like I'll be buying some extended nose tubes from mk-Zero though.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Working from home this week gave me some additional time to work on the car in the evenings. Redid the rear bulkhead with a black 10T piece. I cut a slot below the transmission mount point so I could retain more material in the bulkhead. I started to see bulging in the first white bulkhead, so this wouldn't have done well while driving. I'll get some pics up when I finish the upper deck mount. Motor mount is now bolted in place. Battery holders for the shorty pack will get screwed down after I get the steering servo installed.

After much thinking, I finally cut off the rear motor mount. It felt odd as it is such a recognizable piece of the car to get rid of. Anyway, I trimmed down a B4.2 front bumper, added to shims, and the rear is complete.

Made some huge progress on the front. I was ready to use an extended nose piece, but just couldn't. I didn't want to deal with finding an elongated body or have to re-anodize it black. So instead I cut back the pan, and drilled and tapped the nosetubes. I need to get new nosetubes from mk-Zero though, as I hate having a screw hole in the tubes. This will also fix my bellcrank problem. More Ten4 Shapeways parts ordered!

Best part, is that I found a way to get the front tranny 1/4" more forward and I don't have to cut holes in the nosepiece. Removing material from the case as well as grinding a groove into the aluminum still allows the outdrives to clear the nosetubes!

As always, more parts on order. Carbon fiber will be here in a week or so, so I can get going on new shock towers.

I've emailed Mr. Lexan about some body options. The motor position is going to be an issue.

Stay tuned!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Looks good so far, interesting and very creative project. The most difficult challenge will probably be the steering system and not the body option. How do you plan to solve that?

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

At this moment the theory is to use two of these elongated bellcranks, with the connecting turnbuckle at the rear. Still have to figure out if the servo link will go over or under the driveshaft.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Associated's CVA kit 9947 for the optional B44.3 center slipper has a 77mm dogbone that works perfectly! No more binding! Downside, is you have to buy two sets.

Can hardly wait for the Ten4 bellcranks to show up. Shapeways has notified me that they are on their way.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Looks great! If you don't want to use two of the bellcranks with link at the rear, you could use a short tie bar up front. With flat head countersunk screws it's a nice slop free setup and takes little room
Attachments
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

I never considered the slop factor that might be incurred by having the bellcranks linked in the rear. Thanks for the pic, I was thinking of something similar but in a U shape to get in and around the tranny. Hopefully everything will be here next week.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Got the inner rear hubs drilled down 2.5mm. Coincidently, the B44.3 front crush tube is the exact width of the remaining material....perfect.
Had to throw the rims on it to see how it will look. It's coming along...