[Project] Restore My Black Stealth RC10CE Destroyed by Sandy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: [Project] Restore My Black Stealth RC10CE Destroyed by S

Post by jwscab »

Gt trans parts won't work. Do yourself a favor and go to associateds website and download some manuals.

Nice haul of parts, should be good for trade if not for direct use

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Sad to hear any damage from sandy and hope all is ok now. on the other side I just love crusty rc pics. its like they tell a story (like a lot of my rcs) . good luck on the build its lookin good

MeltingPlastic

Post by MeltingPlastic »

Thanks guys. Yeah I held the stock to the gt parts and its obvious why they wouldn't work lol. Dug through the parts manuals and got a list of everything I need for the tranny. I was able to free the bushings for the output drives but they need some work with a wire brush to clean off some stuff. I think I'll be happy rebuilding that with the b4 slipper and bearings all around!

A few more weeks of waiting/vacation/etc and she should be all ready to go minus electronics as I can't decide on going brushed or brushless.. Thinking brushed due to the era and not planning on running this thing hard.

MeltingPlastic

Post by MeltingPlastic »

Well with all the snow we're getting here in the northeast I decided it was a good day to get as much done on the buggy as I could. Got almost all of the front end in except for the one axle as that snapped when removing the wheel originally so I have to order some new axles. The rear would have been farther but the right rear mount was stripped (i was 10 when i built this lol) so i wasn't able to get the remaining threads out. I'll probably order some new rear mounts because I know even if I get it out, I wont trust the thread engagement.

I'm about to place an order for the axle, the rear mounts, shock oil (need to rebuild the shocks still), the small turnbuckle, the servo mounts, a servo, and the linkage. When I get back from vacation I'll be ordering the parts needed to rebuild the tranny with the B4 slipper and then I just need to purchase some electronics to test her out! Probably go with a Futaba MC330R, a lower turn motor ~15t, and maybe try to find a used pistol transmitter to keep it somewhat period correct.

MeltingPlastic

Post by MeltingPlastic »

So i finally got all the parts I need for the rebuild minus the receiver and ESC.

I started rebuilding the stealth last night with the B4 slipper and noticed something weird. If i place just the top shaft and the idler into the housing and close up both halves, it appears to bind every 360 degrees. if i separate the halves i see no binding or issue as to what it's hitting. Not sure if there's some sort of burr somewhere I'm not seeing or what. Also should i put grease inside the housing? seems to be a debate on that one. black grease was used for the thrust bearings and stealth grease for the diff bearings but not sure if is hould use the stealth grease again for the inside gears.

Hopefully I can figure out what is binding tonight as i was doing this at 11:30 last night

Also, can I use a B2 idler? I know i'll need a shaft and bearings but not sure if it'll fit in my case.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I believe the B2 idler does not fit.

you should not need grease in the stealth if you are running stock gears, just the clear in the diff, black on the thrust.

if you are finding that there is a bind every rotation, I would think it's the top gear, mark the shaft with a sharpie and see if the rough spot always aligns the mark, say at 12o clock, in the rotation. if it always the same, it the top gear, if it's not, it's the idler. all it takes is one small booger and you will get a rough spot. might be small enough to be a 'who cares' after a couple of runs.

MeltingPlastic

Post by MeltingPlastic »

jwscab wrote:I believe the B2 idler does not fit.

you should not need grease in the stealth if you are running stock gears, just the clear in the diff, black on the thrust.

if you are finding that there is a bind every rotation, I would think it's the top gear, mark the shaft with a sharpie and see if the rough spot always aligns the mark, say at 12o clock, in the rotation. if it always the same, it the top gear, if it's not, it's the idler. all it takes is one small booger and you will get a rough spot. might be small enough to be a 'who cares' after a couple of runs.
So I pulled it apart again and noticed that the idler had 2 teeth with some rust in them from the original top shaft due to the salt water... Cleaned that up and it spins like I expected.

No pics but the car just needs the electronics and I can play around again! Gonna wait until I see what's in storage that may have survived of my stuff hopefully won't have to buy much