B1M bolt-in mid motor conversion kit

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: New bolt-in mid motor conversion project

Post by mk-Zero »

lemosd wrote:Following, will def be buying this conversion when you.post them for sale. Just getting back into the hobby after atleast a decade away from it. Just built a re re worlds car, love it. I don't like the look of the new kits.

Glad you found us! 8)

lemosd

Post by lemosd »

Thanks! Loving this site, tons of knowledge to soak up. Love seeing all the project builds you are all doing, I'm into that stuff. No longer in the market for another new kit. This site has me scouring ebay and craigslist for old beaters to build up lol. Ive got an old mt-10s that I bought new over twenty years that I'm bringing back from the dead.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The one big issue I see, is not being able to remove the spur gear, without removing the transmission, shock tower, etc. I thinkl the work is fantastic, so I'm not trying to bash it, just bringing up a concern if you intend to sell them.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

yellowdatsun wrote:The one big issue I see, is not being able to remove the spur gear, without removing the transmission, shock tower, etc. I thinkl the work is fantastic, so I'm not trying to bash it, just bringing up a concern if you intend to sell them.
Yes, I'm aware of that limitation, it's all been thought through (my day job is engineer/inventor/designer/fabricator, so this what I do :wink: ). Inherent to not having to cut or drill the pan are sacrifices in other areas, in this case having to unbolt the transmission (probably only the transmission, not the other things you mentioned :wink: ) to swap a spur gear. It's a worthwhile trade in my opinion. 8)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Most people won't feel the need to swap Spurs very often anyway, I'd call it a good trade off.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Anyway, for sure it will be easier than getting a diff out of a b44, lol. You gotta pull half the f-ing car apart to do that :lol:

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

mk-Zero wrote:Anyway, for sure it will be easier than getting a diff out of a b44, lol. You gotta pull half the f-ing car apart to do that :lol:
Try getting a diff out of a XX4 :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

lemosd

Post by lemosd »

Like I said, I have just been lurking on this forum and reading as much as I can. Just browsed through your guys ten4 build thread....amazing. Without going off topic here too much do you think it would be possible for you to design a stealth diff housing that would accept a b6 gear diff for the rc10?

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

lemosd wrote:Like I said, I have just been lurking on this forum and reading as much as I can. Just browsed through your guys ten4 build thread....amazing. Without going off topic here too much do you think it would be possible for you to design a stealth diff housing that would accept a b6 gear diff for the rc10?
It's in my project queue already ;-)

lemosd

Post by lemosd »

Awesome........I'm running a 6.5 turn brushless in my re re and wonder how the ball diff will hold up. Its already pretty damn quick and its still in blinky mode until my programmer arrives. The ten4 is a bit out of my budget right now, but this mid motor is a for sure thing once you sell them. Mid motor gear diff? :D

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Lol. Let me get the rc10 gear version going first then we'll go from there.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, it makes it more fun for me when people are excited about it.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Finally, I had some time to work on this project. Sorry to those of you that have been following it that there hasn't been any headway to report for a while. :oops:

Anyway, I managed to make some more progress on both the bulkhead and the trans case. On the bulkhead, I added mounting to attach it to the top of the trans case. I also added some gussets in areas that seemed they would be a bit weak or flexy. I fixed the rear camber link holes, which I had in the wrong place. They are now in the correct World's car (the OG one, not the rere) location. Last thing was to give the chassis brace arms more clearance, they were hitting the rear arms before full suspension compression on the last version.
On the trans case, only thing I did was added matching mounting bosses on top for bolting the bulkhead and trans case thgether.

I can say this about it: it's very rigid with it all bolted together, at least as rigid as a normal RC10, so I think it's going to work well. Next I'll take it back apart and then reassemble it with the full b4 slipper set up to check for clearance.

Next I've got to design a motor plate and rear "bumper" bracing for the motor guard so it doesn't fold on a hard impact. I already know what I'm going to do for that. I also need to decide if I'm going to make a slipper cover for it, because that will influence the motor plate design. I also need to design a shock tower, then see if I can get Jeff to make me some :wink:

Stay tuned. 8)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Looks great Brian!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

midse
Approved Member

Post by midse »

Nice to see custom 3D printed stuff being used rather than the old modification of existing parts:)

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I designed and printed a motor plate today. Pretty simple desing, but seems to be spot on. It's nice to be able to make a quick mockup for test fitting before having a bunch water jetted from aluminum.

Here's how assembly goes. You bolt the bulkhead to the pan first and tighten it down. Then you slide the transmission, motorplate, and motor (although the motor can be put in later, too) under the bulkhead. You then put in the 4 screws that attach the trans and bulkhead and then the 4 that attach the trans to the pan.

Plenty of space for all the electronics with the transverse shortie pack mounts.

Still left is the shock tower and rear chassis/bumper brace. I am also printing slightly updated versions of the trans case and bulkhead this weekend. I also want to add mounting holes to the trans case for the rear Stealth mounting holes. I realized that later cars don't have the 6 gear transmission holes in the chassis countersunk. Keeping with the no-drill theme, I don't want people to need to countersink their chassis either, so those people can optionally use the rear stealth holes for mounting the trans. The front trans mounts use the bulkhead holes, and needless to say they are countersunk on everything.