"Scruff"

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

"Scruff"

Post by Nobby Sideways »

Copied from my welcome bio:
Background to my RC10 ownership: Never been a racer, probably never will be.

I got my RC10 Team Edition from a guy I went to school with. He raced it, and then sold it to me. It was pretty tired and beat up when I got it, I guess around 1994. I would have been 13, 14 years old. I used to run it up and down the street. I loved it, tatty as it was.

My buddy (who was a bit of a tool) asked for a go. 30 seconds later it had hit a kerb flat out (which wasn't that quick, admittedly) and smashed the front shock tower. As a 13 year old kid in England without access to the internet or connections with the racing guys, my chances of fixing it were nil. It was cannibalized for spares and put in my dads attic.

Fast forward to last year, I've got kids of my own who are interested in bashing with RC cars. A Tamiya DT-02 each (and a DT-03 for Dad...) and we are all happily bashing around on the grass near my house, setting up little races round mini cones and stuff. Really happy. My Dad sees all this and finds out my old RC10 from the loft; I thought it was long lost. It's looking really, really sad.

A few days later I've stripped it down. I've worked out what it is (Team edition), that pretty much every thread is stripped, and the nose is bent. It's not rare, its not original, so I've decided to do a rebuild to a basher spec. I've straightened and repaired what I can, and new parts where needed are on their way. I have no doubt that once it is back to fully running condition some further parts will be replaced and repaired (I've already been delighted to discover some animal has glued the diff together and lost all the diff balls, as well as half the balls from the ball race under the slipper clutch adjuster nut). It will never be pretty, especially with my shell painting skills, but it is an enjoyable project which myself and my kids are having a lot of fun with. I'm really loving seeing it coming together and getting a second chance.

So the state of it as found:

And as it is now:

I know its not very original, but I figured they were not exactly rare so this one being a basher isn't the end of the world. I tried her out today: on 30wt oil she is very bouncy on short grass, turns on a sixpence. Also I snapped a drive shaft for some reason so now I need to buy more spares (after only 10 minutes of driving!). It's only on a barely warm RS540 motor as well, so I doubt it was all the torque! Excuse the Tamiya speed controller. This was a temporary set-up to get her rolling before I invest in a Brushless motor...

Not quite sure why she spat out the dogbone. Might look into the CV conversion as I'm here.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Re: "Scruff"

Post by Jimbo302 »

I like it. A solid runner with character.

Odd that it ate an axle, I've been contemplating a cva swap as well.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Cool story and good job bringing the rc10 back to life. Did the rear axel that broke have a missing spring? CVA is a great upgrade.

- Limestang

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

check your outdrives on your tranny for wear. If they wear 'notches' in the outdrives they will eat dogbones like candy and then the cvd's like candy. Looks like a great start to a fun runner though!

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!