My Vintage RC10CE, Help!!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CrookedTree

My Vintage RC10CE, Help!!

Post by CrookedTree »

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. My 90's RC10CE brings me here today, It's been stored for over 20 years now, temporarily coming out of storage at one point for the kids to play with, it received a new speed control and motor at that point, only to be stored again until now. I've unpacked it again and no idea which way to go with it now. I'd either like to dress it up and upgrade it to be a little more modern but it seems that may be frowned upon in the RC10 world or just sell it for something a little more modern that my son and I can enjoy. I'd appreciate any advice, comments, or information on the car, value or where to acquire upgrades and parts. Thanks for looking everyone.
Attachments
image7.JPG
image9.JPG
image8.JPG
image6.JPG
image5.JPG

clm
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage RC10CE, Help!!

Post by clm »

That is a very sweet Survivor 6 gear Championship edition. I hate to say it but if I owned it I would definitely shelf it and get a Worlds Car re release which can be gotten around $150 and thrash on that.

Being an original 6 gear to put anything silly in it you should do a stealth trans swap.. and retail that is over half of what you can get that Worlds car for from places like Tower.
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

+ 1

tuna.Rc
Approved Member

Post by tuna.Rc »

ill trade you 150 cans of tuna in virgin olive oil for it

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Great looking time capsule there...dont touch it (and I am an anti-shelf queen guy). Put it away to gaze at when you need to remember your youth.

Pick up a re-release Worlds or any other modern car for you and your son to beat around with.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Wow, I like it as it is.

Hang onto it for nostalgia sake, don't sell it. It has a character you can't easily reproduce.

I would just clean it up a bit and maybe find some black aluminum shock caps, that's it.

Buy something more modern for the kids to play with.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

vitamink

Post by vitamink »

clm wrote:That is a very sweet Survivor 6 gear Championship edition. I hate to say it but if I owned it I would definitely shelf it and get a Worlds Car re release which can be gotten around $150 and thrash on that.

Being an original 6 gear to put anything silly in it you should do a stealth trans swap.. and retail that is over half of what you can get that Worlds car for from places like Tower.
Would a 6-gear transmission not handle a newer motor? What's the definition of "silly"?

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

vitamink wrote: Would a 6-gear transmission not handle a newer motor? What's the definition of "silly"?
A stock 6 gear should do fine with a stock class brushless, one of those 17.5. Many buy a brushless system and attempt to see how long a car designed not to wheelie will wheelie or how fast they can make it go.

The original 6 gear was designed in an era when motor/battery/esc were just no where even close to what you can get now for cheap from even the likes of Hobbyking, even the 3 gear stealth can be smoked with some of the modern power systems but with it's slipper clutch it has a fighting chance... Unless you lock it down to 'stunt drive' heh :)
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

vitamink wrote:
clm wrote:That is a very sweet Survivor 6 gear Championship edition. I hate to say it but if I owned it I would definitely shelf it and get a Worlds Car re release which can be gotten around $150 and thrash on that.

Would a 6-gear transmission not handle a newer motor? What's the definition of "silly"?
Silly is like dropping an LS1 in a C1.
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

vitamink

Post by vitamink »

clm wrote:
vitamink wrote: Would a 6-gear transmission not handle a newer motor? What's the definition of "silly"?
A stock 6 gear should do fine with a stock class brushless, one of those 17.5. Many buy a brushless system and attempt to see how long a car designed not to wheelie will wheelie or how fast they can make it go.

The original 6 gear was designed in an era when motor/battery/esc were just no where even close to what you can get now for cheap from even the likes of Hobbyking, even the 3 gear stealth can be smoked with some of the modern power systems but with it's slipper clutch it has a fighting chance... Unless you lock it down to 'stunt drive' heh :)
If I could get my CE running with a 17.5, I'd be pleased as punch, just to see the old guy zipping around again.

(Need to do some mallet-work on the chassis to straighten out the bend it acquired from its bashing career, however.)

A transmission rebuild is also definitely in order. Any ideas on the most economical route to get a full set of bearings for this car?

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

If it has the 6 gear any bearing set for the recent Rc10 classic should work. You can get them from Avidrc.com or Bocabearings.com for about $16 for a basic set or a little bit cheaper with some ebay browsing.
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

CrookedTree

Post by CrookedTree »

Thanks for the advice, since I posted the pictures I've taken the car apart and thoroughly cleaned all the parts. Thinking about storing the original pieces and rebuilding with some after market pieces that don't require modifications to the chassis. I'd like a black/gold color scheme and modern electronics. More pictures to come....

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I would save that chassis too, many of the original gold chassis and noseplates are far worse shape then that and you can often get a re-re worlds chassis for fairly cheap to keep that in good condition. Good condition white parts are fairly easy to get, chassis/nose is hard to find due to them being the thing the car will always scrape on the ground :) ReRe gold noses just don't cut it for a shelfer.. that original stamped AE logo really does it for me heh.
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

agreed on keeping that survivor intact. Maybe run it a little bit on carpet or carefully outside to get that nostalgia, but yeah, that worlds car at ~150 bucks is tough to beat.

CrookedTree

Post by CrookedTree »

Cleanup is complete, the peroxide trick worked great on the white parts and everything is intact without broken any broken pieces. I did cut an end out of the battery cup at some point it appears to accommodate a larger battery and the tires are shot. I plan on shelfing most original pieces and going back with some updated pieces. I don't plan on changing or damaging the pan at all so it can go back to original at any point. I found paperwork stating I purchased the car July of 1991. Here is the progress....
Attachments
IMG_7091.JPG
IMG_7090.JPG
IMG_7089.JPG
IMG_7092.JPG