b4.2 tires...interchangeable?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vitamink

b4.2 tires...interchangeable?

Post by vitamink »

So, my son's b4.2's tires are already losing a lot of tread after, ahem, some excursions onto the asphalt. (Suspect he may be spinning donuts on the sidewalk a bit too, but I digress...)

When the time comes to get new tires, do I have to buy the rims as well, or can I somehow remove the old tires from his current rims. They appear to be glued on, but I don't know if that's defeatable.

jwscab

Re: b4.2 tires...interchangeable?

Post by jwscab »

yes, you should be able to use acetone on the wheels to remove the tire beads. either in acetone as a soak or elevated in a sealed container.

one thing to remember is that the acetone only works for pure nylon wheels, which the B4.2 should be. other manufacturers could use other plastic blends that can be easily MELTED with acetone.

quite a few threads regarding removing tires. Some recommend boiling them to remove as well. oven attempts are very tricky as most oven controls are pretty inaccurate and nylon will start to flow in the 240 F range.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Keep in mind, rims are really cheap, like 5 bux a pair (2 wheels), so you have to decide if removing them is worth your effort or not. The tires are what's expensive, at about $15 per pair (two tires).

Before I gave my B4.2 to my brother, I kept my set of bald tires (that had become bald from running on the street) and would swap them on when I wanted to blast up and down the street. Then you can keep the new tires/wheels pristine for the dirt. That's another advantage of not trying to reuse your old rims. 8)

You can also find new wheels and tire sets on ebay. People buy new kits and part them out. Here's a complete set of B4.2RS wheels and tires for $25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-wheels-and-tires-/322201780422?hash=item4b04b900c6:g:UKsAAOSwhMFXkt2~&vxp=mtr

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I have been using ca remover to remove tires recently, although it does take some time, the results are quite satisfactory. If the car is seeing much time on the asphalt perhaps some multi terrain tires like Proline Dirthawgs would be a good choice?
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

When the rims are $6 fort two, it's not worth the time or effort to remove the old tires. Does it work, depends on how good you are with it. Is it a huge PITA, absolutely. The only ones I bother are the old pin style rear wheels, as they are going to get hard to find someday. But the B4 wheels can be had all day long at any hobby shop.

vitamink

Post by vitamink »

clm wrote:I have been using ca remover to remove tires recently, although it does take some time, the results are quite satisfactory. If the car is seeing much time on the asphalt perhaps some multi terrain tires like Proline Dirthawgs would be a good choice?
Those Dirthawgs look like a good option. I don't think I can keep him from driving on the asphalt around our townhouse.

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

It always felt like I was throwing money away running pin spikes on asphalt or cement... the chunky tires have so much more rubber to wear and have a nice long life.
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

Dirthawgs are perfect for bashing. You could also boil the tires for a while to get them off the rims. But I would buy new rims if I were you 8)