RC10 Graphite - Heavy Custom

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Graphite - Heavy Custom

Post by dinglem »

OK, I will try to dig out the wheels.

Hazy, for sure. I'm not too bothered what I have as the end product has been amazing. I'm just curious more than anything, plus if I am building a 'new' car as an exercise, then I would like for it to be correct. Plus it is great fun researching such things. The box serial number still has me stumped though.

Thanks very much for your input.

I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a suitable chassis, of either variety!
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Suspension components.

14881307_309190519467025_1012964961_o.jpg
14881569_309190536133690_16779609_o.jpg
14875911_309190522800358_1966649731_o.jpg
rear.jpg
rear mount.jpg
rear mount.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
rear mount.jpg
rear mount.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

A fellow forum member has just pointed out something about the box my car came in which could make sense. He tells me the standard boxes has an updated end label stuck over the initial basic label in some cases in order to provide model details (serial numbers) specific to the box contents. He said he has seen these labels fall off over time.

Perhaps that has happened to mine? Looking back there are two clear spot points on the end of the box where it looks like something may have been attached and possibly pulled off? Has anybody else seen something similar happen?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The boxart of a graphite car is completely different than that of a CE. You have a CE box. Why there was a graphite kit inside of it, I think only your dad and/or the store he bought it from could possibly know the answer to that.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Cool. Good info again.

I am now wishing he had bought the CE and added a Graphite chassis to the deal so I would have a mintola unused gold chassis to build up today. No such luck unfortunately.

I'm a bit stumped. Seems like a CE with a Graphite upgrade/swap on the day from the evidence above. Thanks for all of your input everybody. I had no idea it would be so complicated!

I think I will look for a tidy A stamped gold chassis and build up the suspension components shown above onto it and have a shelf model CE to go with my original race Graphite car. I still haven't found the wheels or rear shocks yet, but I know I would not have even used the original tyres that came with it so they will be 'new'.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

The real early boxes were stamped, later they went to labels.

My CE box, the labels were coming off and I re-glued them.

:)

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Thanks for all of the replies here guys - a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Probably a question that gets asked loads of times, but what is the best way clean up the white(ish) suspension components posted a little earlier please? Wishbones and uprights?

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Scrub the hell out of them with soapy water,

Don't use anything too abrasive just adds scratches.

Boil them, with things like the arms, with the nylon they are made from,

boiling is good, they actually become less fragile.

If you are going to race with vintage parts you should be boiling them!

You can use the peroxide method,

but parts like the arms were never white from new.

So I don't bother with it.

:)

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Thanks for the cleaning tips.

I shall start by giving them a good scrub with a toothbrush. They have hardly been used tbh as we switched to the Yokomo suspension conversion pretty quickly. Luckily I have kept everything so I have almost all I need to build it up apart from a gold pan chassis. That is the only thing I need to source and I know that could be quite a challenge to find is the kind of condition I want.

I can see there is one part missing on the inner rear suspension but I imagine that will be in one of my boxes if I have a more thorough look. Same goes for the original rear shockers.

I have also seen some of the amazing art work people are capable of on the car bodies now too. Pretty incredible. I think I might have to invest in one of those!

I guess once I get underway I can start a build thread as I am pretty new to this (the second time around) and there is obviously a lot of knowledge on here.

How often can I expect a minty-mint A stamped chassis to appear for sale then?

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

My original radio from bitd has turned up now too. In fact, we have two of these.

14808921_307314872987923_2107310167_oa.jpg

Certified Mike

Post by Certified Mike »

That's some fun history and really cool mods! Definitel thumbs up!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Just been over to visit my folks and had another delve in the loft. I managed to find the original bodyshell to my RC10, as well as some tyres. I also took a few shots of the underside of the car although they don't really show very much.

Loads of NOS tyres up there though, TR-240;s, TR-380's, and a spanking new pair of Associated TQ-71's??

I also unearthed a lovely set of chrome HPI rims which have a great rear dish to them. Happy days.
bodyshell original01a.jpg
bodyshell original02a.jpg
underside fronta.jpg
TQ-71aa.jpg
TQ-71ba.jpg
Attachments
underside reara.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

240's
TF240.jpg
380's
TR380a.jpg
39's?? (I don't remember even buying these but they still have the original foam inserts and are unused).
TR39c.jpg
TR39b.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Chrome HPI rims. Look pretty cool!
HPI chrome02a.jpg
HPI chrome03a.jpg

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

Great story and car!