Hot Trick Transmission Bracket Fitment Help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Hot Trick Transmission Bracket Fitment Help

Post by Basher67 »

So I just bought an old rc collection and got a big box of NIP vintage parts with it. I noticed when I bought it that there was a whole bunch of Hot Trick parts in it. I've been dying to find a set of front arms for one of my rc10's to match the rears I picked up over a year ago. After feverishly digging through hundreds of parts until 3 am like a kid on christmas morning, I realized there were no front arms for my buggy in the lot. There was however a super cool part marked as "Assoc./MIP Transmission Bracket. Shown in pic below. So I'm thinking this will be great for the foam core chassis project I'm working on. So I put it up to the chassis and its beautiful and everything looks like it will line up perfect. Then I try to match up one of my tranny's and the problems begin. The first trans. I tried was an A&L belt drive and the bolt holes were not even close. I then tried the mip (pictured below) trans and same thing. This bracket doesnt line up with any trans I have. AAAAAHHHHH! So now I'm stumped. I searched the forum for answers and found a pic with this bracket being used with a trans I had never seen before set up for a 4wd conversion. Anyone know what the deal is with this bracket? I'm really bummed right now about this.
Attachments
DSC06561.JPG
DSC06560.JPG

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Hot Trick Transmission Bracket Fitment Help

Post by Phin »

The Hot Trick motor plate is for the early tan case Mip trans made for the Tamiya SRB cars. The black case trans doesn't need the Hot Trick plate....it was made with mounting points for the RC10 chassis and stock motor plate.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Is there an advantage in finding and using the tan case over any of the other transmissions? I guess what I'm asking is why anyone would go to all that trouble when we have so many great transmission choices readily available for the rc10 platform already.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It was the first aftermarket trans, a carryover from the SRB's. The advantage is it's rarity and uniqueness. If you want it to go fast and be reliable, the stealth is by far the cheapest and easiest to use. The A&L trans you have there is very good as well, and would be a good era correct trans for a CE or long front arm build. Your MIP shown would be good for the short arm setup.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I have that trans plate and the MIP trans it goes with on my mid 80's car, you can see pics and the restoration here. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34009
My trans plate is an earlier version that was anodized gold, before they started making them red like yours.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I get it. I'm always trying to find vintage aftermarket hop ups for my cars. I had just never heard of this one. I guess I'll shelf the bracket in my parts collection until I come across one of those early mip's. You guys are always a wealth of info and I really appreciate it. I decided to use the MIP trans that I have with the Litesink motor plate for now. I threw in some AYK Race Prep "Superbones" while I was at it. This build is starting to come along. Still need to dye the wheels and knockoffs black and figure out what I want to use for shock towers. The goal with this build was to build the car with as many vintage aftermarket parts as possible. I wouldn't be as far along as I am so far without the help and info I've received from the members of this forum. Thanks to all.
Attachments
DSC06563.JPG
DSC06562.JPG