Help with b5m shock length

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Help with b5m shock length

Post by Basher67 »

Looking at options for upgrading the shocks on one of my rc10's. There are some really nice shocks out there for the b5m but I'm having a hard time finding the eye-to-eye length info. Has anyone used more modern buggy shocks on the original rc10's? Are any particular models more compatible or closer to the right size than others.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Re: Help with b5m shock length

Post by lmw94002 »

Depending on your actual RC10, you can probably still get NEW direct replacements from Associated. I like the Worlds Re-Release kit shocks with the "bottom" seal. The "V2" series I think they call them. Or you can probably get a rebuild kit and the V2 bodies to rebuild/upgrade your original shocks.

You can make most shocks work if you're close. You may need to work with the spacers on the shaft, on the upper shock mount point, and work on the eye/spring cup to make sure you're not rubbing any where.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I have lots of different versions of associated "RC10 gold pan" shocks. I like them and they're great shocks, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking to go a little outside the box on this build. I decided to go with some Integy shocks with the piggyback reservoir for a B5m. The fronts are close , but the rears are shorter, if the info I found is correct. I'm hoping to adjust for the length with the mounting bracket on the rear hot trick arms I'm using or possibly a shorter rear shock tower. Hopfully I'm able to make it work in the end.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

I don't know anything about Integy shocks. How's the parts support for them?

Got a link to what you bought?
Bum on Direct Deposit

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'm not sure how to post a link. I'll see if I can get the wife to help me with that. lol They were really nice looking and really cheap (which scares me a little). I order a set of shocks off of ebay that were listed as GMAXX brand big bore shocks with 4 mm shafts for RC10 1/10. They arrived and looked nice but they were bigger than the shocks on my 1/8 scale nitro buggies. about a half inch too long in the front and over an inch too long for the rears. They had no tag or markings on the package at all. I tried to contact the seller to see if maybe he sent me the wrong ones by mistake but didn't get a response so I just returned them. The integy shocks are not far from me so I'm hoping to have them this week. Trying to get this build done for next months botm contest. lol I'll keep you updated on how they work out when they arrive.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Got an update for you on the shocks. I received the integy piggyback shocks and was more than a little pleased. They are over-the-top cool. The piggyback reservoirs are not exactly scale but they look badass. The machine work and finish are excellent. I dont know how they will perform, but from a visual standpoint they are second to none. They are intended for a b5m so fitting them on a custom vintage rc10 took a little doing, but with the right combination of bolts, spacers, bushings and limiters, they do bolt on. Spring rate for the rear seems too soft to me so I'm going to try some stiffer rear springs, but the front seems spot on. I would normally throw in some pics, but I'm finishing this build for the BOTM contest so you'll just have to wait to see the finished car.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Great information on the shocks. I did some Google searching for the piggy back option and they do look cool. Looking forward to your BOTM entry!
Bum on Direct Deposit