No 2wd racers? Oh wait!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

No 2wd racers? Oh wait!

Post by yellowdatsun »

So a friend of mine asked me to get a 2wd vehicle so we could race at our local track. I responded that I only have, and drive, 4wd vehicles. A B64D, a Losi Ten SCTE, and a VERY highly modified 4x4 Slash. Then it occurred to me that I DO have a few 2wd vehicles, they're just older. So I've decided to try my hand at this car in novice. I have a vintage sticker kit coming for it. We'll see how she does. It has a Castle esc and motor, truck front end, Klein arms, stealth tranny, and the shorty battery mounted sideways further forward.
Attachments
IMG_20170806_133143.jpg

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: No 2wd racers? Oh wait!

Post by yellowdatsun »

Another pic. Nothing special, but I know people like pics.
Attachments
20170807_124041.jpg

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

First... very nice looking buggy!

Second... what is the name of the color (and brand) of the paint used on the body? I dig it, gotta have it!
Bum on Direct Deposit

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

It's made by SEM, and is a vinyl auto/boat paint. Made for vinyl seats and such. You can find it on Amazon, along with other colors. They make at least 3 kinds of grey. One can will do a mix of like 6 buggy and truck bodies, so don't let the price scare you. This one is called "Ranger Gunmetal Grey".

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

it does sound odd to say... but that is a sharp looking shade of grey for sure. :) And great looking ride in general.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Thanks for the info on the paint!
Bum on Direct Deposit

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

looks pretty sweet. It looks like you are running the truck bellcranks up there? You might want to change them out to buggy (shorter) versions, as many guys ditched the truck ones on the trucks since they end up being 'twitchy' compared to the buggy length.

smahoney1

Post by smahoney1 »

How do you like the Castle motor/esc combo? I just picked up a 4600kv Castle combo waiting to be installed.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The Castle combo has been in there a while. Runs great. Can't remember the kv at the moment, but it's likely around 4600 or so.

I'll have to look into the buggy bellcrank setup. It used to be a 10T, hence the truck front end parts.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

So I've been "trying" to run this at our local track, but it pushes really bad when going into a corner. I know it's a 30 year old car, blah blah blah.

I do know, it's HAS to run better than it does. What are some setings to make it turn better on a medium track? I've so far, got new tires, played with spring settings, and added weight to the nose.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

yellowdatsun wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 am So I've been "trying" to run this at our local track, but it pushes really bad when going into a corner. I know it's a 30 year old car, blah blah blah.

I do know, it's HAS to run better than it does. What are some setings to make it turn better on a medium track? I've so far, got new tires, played with spring settings, and added weight to the nose.
It's hard to say without actually watching the car perform but I found that adding a spacer under the front screw of the rear hingepin mounts to increase anti-squat helped my rear-motor RC10 to eliminate some of that on-power push. Also going to a shorter camber link up front will give a more responsive steering feel.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if you are pushing badly in the corners, you might look into a stiffer rear spring. that's typically not a bad thing meaning you are getting good rear traction, but you will need to lessen it.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

IMO, with all that horsepower, pushing is to be expected.

You could dial in some brake when you let off the throttle. I think you could decrease the rear toe-in too?
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

yellowdatsun wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 am So I've been "trying" to run this at our local track, but it pushes really bad when going into a corner. I know it's a 30 year old car, blah blah blah.

The extra weight up front will definitely help with load transfer, but too much and it will jump funny. I'd consider switching up your oil and spring package, go lighter on the front to get better transfer off throttle on turn in.

The comment about dialing in some drag brake is a good one, but use sparingly as too much will unsettle the chassis.

If you are running spacers in the rear shocks you could try taking one out and see if that helps as well.

Ultimately it is about transferring load rear-to-front off power on turn in. A little goes a long way, but as you are seeing with rear motor cars, there is no lack of rear bite in most scenarios :mrgreen:

PS> Agreed on the body color, it is a sharp shade of gray. I'm curious why you used vinyl boat paint, it is more durable/flexible? Or possibly was it just something you had on hand?

Take care,
->Mark

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

[/quote]
PS> Agreed on the body color, it is a sharp shade of gray. I'm curious why you used vinyl boat paint, it is more durable/flexible? Or possibly was it just something you had on hand?

Take care,
->Mark
[/quote]

I saw someone at the track with a shade of gray on his truck and asked where he got it, that's how I found out about that type of paint. I did 3 cars in that color, and it seems to be holding up great so far.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give them a try. I used to race these when I was younger (much younger), but back then the tracks weren't like they are today.