New to me RC10 Team Car on the way

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bluewormx
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10 Team Car on the way

Post by bluewormx »

NomadRacer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am Hey mate, I don't know if the metric e-clips will work for you (don't have any myself)I'm guessing 1/12 scale on-road racing is pretty hot in the UK. Check around with those guys and their parts supply chain for Calandra Racing Concepts #1382 1/8" e-clips 100pcs. I have some and they snap nicely on the hinge pins.
That is a real good idea. :D
http://www.actionmodelcentre.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CAL-1382

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

bluewormx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 am
NomadRacer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am Hey mate, I don't know if the metric e-clips will work for you (don't have any myself)I'm guessing 1/12 scale on-road racing is pretty hot in the UK. Check around with those guys and their parts supply chain for Calandra Racing Concepts #1382 1/8" e-clips 100pcs. I have some and they snap nicely on the hinge pins.
That is a real good idea. :D
http://www.actionmodelcentre.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CAL-1382
Thanks both. Ordered.

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 am Team KNK hardware makes a killer screw set and you not only end up with the right ones (unlike many of the others) but you also end up with a bunch of extras. Kit runs $20 and USA shipping is $3.75

http://www.teamknkhardware.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5538080
Ordered a set of these as well. UK shipping ended up being $9. They charge $25 initially and then refund the difference of what it actually costs when they ship it.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Cool, good to know! They are good people
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Glad to see your getting locked on,mate!
Bum on Direct Deposit

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Im really confused about something. You are adamant about running this really nice vintage RC10, however, you are purchasing and replacing/upgrading darn near everything on the car so why not just purchase a new RERE worlds car and run that and keep this one stock and in the condition it has survived in over the last 20yrs?

Really strange the thinking you have on this. :?

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

fastang wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm Im really confused about something. You are adamant about running this really nice vintage RC10, however, you are purchasing and replacing/upgrading darn near everything on the car so why not just purchase a new RERE worlds car and run that and keep this one stock and in the condition it has survived in over the last 20yrs?

Really strange the thinking you have on this. :?
Main reason I haven't bought a re-re world's car is because I CAN'T buy a re-re world's car. There aren't any for sale anywhere, certainly not in the UK.

Originally I looked for a world's re-re. Couldn't find one.
Then I looked for a re-re classic. Found one that sold for way more than I was prepared to pay.
Saw a fairly beaten up Team Car that the seller was asking quite a lot for given the condition. Tried to do a deal and in the midst of that, the car and seller disappeared from eBay. The same car then appeared listed by a different seller. That all seemed dodgy to me so I steered clear of it.

Then I saw this one. I bought it for a lot less than that beaten up one was listed for. It was also two thirds the price that the re-re classic sold for.

The only things I've bought is a shock rebuild kit - I need one to repack the seals on the shocks after taking them apart to see why they were different lengths.

I've bought a set of turnbuckles as I was advised the kit ones bend easily.

A set of stainless screws because some of the original hardware is tarnished plus I don't have a stock of spare screws and nuts.

E-rings again because I don't have any spares and will likely lose or damage some when I take it apart to clean the smoke smell from it.

A lexan undertray to protect the chassis - as I said, I want to use it not abuse it.

Only other purchase is some wheels and tyres mainly because the original rear tyres would last all of 5 minutes running on pavement.

I don't see that as replacing everything on the car. Mainly it's stuff to either get it or keep it running. I've also had in mind that some of these things might not be available forever and are certainly already unavailable or limited in the UK.

I don't want to have to hunt high and low, and pay over the odds for things like vintage tyres or tyres to fit vintage wheels.

The thinking is, and always has been, that I want to run it but I want to run it with respect and keep it in a condition that I can run it for a long time to come.

Please people, get off my case about running it. These things were designed to be run. It's not like it is the last Team Car that exists in this condition. I'm sure plenty of people here have them as good if not better. I've explained that I'm wanting to be sympathetic and respectful.

If it helps - it's not perfect. After removing the old receiver and servo tape I discovered some scratches in the chassis. Probably from a previous owner removing and replacing electronics earlier.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Why is everyone on this guys ass? We are all into RC CARS not Static models. I thought we were all here to help and support others who share in this great hobby. If he doesn't want to run any cars, or thrash them all, its his business. I personally think he asked very legitimate questions and has taken some smart steps to be able to protect, maintain and enjoy his vintage rc. Some of us waited a long time to get our first RC10. I know I couldn't afford one until I was an adult and they were already out of production. I'll be damned if anyone ever told me what I could or could not do with my cars. I think everyone needs to be a little more supportive of our new member here and not so judgmental.
You guys would probably break into tears watching me bash the hell out of some of my classic rc's.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

If anyone throws out a big enough number, I'd sell one of my world's ReRe kits. Lol. I wonder if my source has any left or if he finally sold them all off them on eBay...
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Basher67 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 pm Why is everyone on this guys ass? We are all into RC CARS not Static models. I thought we were all here to help and support others who share in this great hobby. If he doesn't want to run any cars, or thrash them all, its his business. I personally think he asked very legitimate questions and has taken some smart steps to be able to protect, maintain and enjoy his vintage rc. Some of us waited a long time to get our first RC10. I know I couldn't afford one until I was an adult and they were already out of production. I'll be damned if anyone ever told me what I could or could not do with my cars. I think everyone needs to be a little more supportive of our new member here and not so judgmental.
You guys would probably break into tears watching me bash the hell out of some of my classic rc's.
Thank you for the support :D

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

lmw94002 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm If anyone throws out a big enough number, I'd sell one of my world's ReRe kits. Lol. I wonder if my source has any left or if he finally sold them all off them on eBay...
There's the thing. It wasn't about owning an RC10 at any cost.

I only got back into the hobby a couple of months ago, so I missed the re-re world's and classic being available in stores. I have no idea what price they were.

I do know what price I was prepared to pay though.

If I had found one and it was, what I thought to be, too much money I wouldn't have bought it.

I think, and have been told, that I got this one for a good price. I've even had somebody offer to trade a world's re-re NIB kit for it.

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

Your car, do what you want. Race it! I missed the big sell off myself, bit started buying up used cars and ReRe kits if I thought the price was right. Luckily I picked up most of mine before the eBay market dried up.

It's about fun... Do what you want with the car. I committed a "crime" the other week by dying OG white parts purple... But to me... They were extras and I want to build a purple car like I did way back when I was a kid.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Not had chance to do much with the car yet. Have had a few bits delivered though.

The JC Racing wheels (white) and Schumacher tyres.
The shock rebuild kit.
The world's re-re turnbuckle set.
A pack of 100 spare e-rings.

Still waiting for the Team KNK stainless hardware set and have a re-pro body and wing on the way.

Found a motor for it, got a lightly used Tekin Gen 3 Redline 17.5T from eBay for only £15.

The plan is now to strip, clean and rebuild. Both to try and get rid of the smoke smell and also to get to know the car and how it goes together. During rebuild I'll swap in the new turnbuckles and see if there is anything else that needs attention.

I've tried some of my NiMH in the battery location. Some of them simply won't fit, others are a bit tight. I've read that the re-re battery cup allows modern batteries to be used.

Would fitting a re-re battery cup allow a bit more room for my tight /non fitting battery packs?

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Peter_B wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:25 pm Would fitting a re-re battery cup allow a bit more room for my tight /non fitting battery packs?
Hi peter, Re Re battery cups and originals are the same.

What changes was the dimension of the bulkhead and the position of the holes to allow for the long Lipo battery.

A NiMh stick pack should fit fine in a original team car, I just test fitted in a Graphite team car and it fits fine. :D

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

bluewormx wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 am
Peter_B wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:25 pm Would fitting a re-re battery cup allow a bit more room for my tight /non fitting battery packs?
Hi peter, Re Re battery cups and originals are the same.

What changes was the dimension of the bulkhead and the position of the holes to allow for the long Lipo battery.

A NiMh stick pack should fit fine in a original team car, I just test fitted in a Graphite team car and it fits fine. :D
Ah, I must have misunderstood what I read then. Or it's to do with the holes.

I have 3 different types of NiMH sticks:

Overlander 3300mah fit without issue.
Overlander 5000mah these are a few mm longer and thicker than the 3300s and only just squeeze in and the battery retaining strap barely fits.
Powertech 4500mah these are even longer and thicker than the 5000mah Overlanders. Because the Overlanders are a tight fit I know that these have no chance.

My little boys have the 3300s in their cars as the larger packs don't fit so well. The 4500mah ones will only comfortably fit in my Clodbuster. So I mostly run the 5000mah Overlanders in my cars.

Fortunately they do fit the RC10 but I might have to think of an alternative securing mechanism as I don't have a lot of faith in the stock restraining strap. I have to forcibly bend it over the battery to be able to get the pin in.