Andy's Monster Truck Conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Andy's Monster Truck Conversion

Post by Basher67 »

Picked this up a month or so back. Didn't pay enough attention to the details at the moment of purchase. I got excited and all I saw was Andy's chassis and See's aluminum wheels and I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough. Later I noticed that the side stiffener on the right side was trimmed towards the back and then with some help on here with the I.D. of what I had, It became apparent that I had a buggy chassis with truck conversion wheels and not custom 10T. So I figured "why fight it?" I started collecting up some more parts to build an Andy's monster truck conversion. I just added the Andy's front arms, front and rear bulkhead, front truck conversion shock tower, and graphite rear tower. Almost had a set of rear arms yesterday but someone beat me out of them at the last second. :cry: Still have to locate a pair of those. I have the Andy's battery strap but it doesn't fit an AE battery cup so I guess I'm looking for an Andy's cup too. Always thought the monster truck conversions bitd were really cool. I'm going to make some side panels for the chassis to fill in that area between the chassis and the body. It's something that always bothered me about the conversions----that 1" gap between the chassis and body. I have a decent plan in my head for this project. We'll see how it goes. Even though I'm trying to use mostly Andy's parts, I'm not necessarily sticking to vintage only parts on this one. I plan on bashing this one around when I'm done. Brushless motor and modern truck tires. I have some ideas for the body, but still haven't decided for sure. I'll keep you posted as I make progress.
Attachments
DSC09935.JPG
DSC09934.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Andy's Monster Truck Conversion

Post by Basher67 »

I got the tires in the mail today. I'm really diggin' these. The body here is off of the wife's Stampede. I mocked it up to get an idea of the wheelbase. I really like this body and am considering it as an option. I usually prefer chevy bodies but this '66 ford was pretty cool. 8)
Attachments
DSC00118.JPG
DSC00115.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I like it!

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Looking good. :)

I've got an Andy's rear truck/oval body mount if you need one.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Bum on Direct Deposit

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

NomadRacer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 am I came across some Andy's front truck mounts on eBay the other night. Here's the link in case you need one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANDY-ANDYS-3420-ASSOCIATED-RC10-MONSTER-TRUCK-FRONT-MOUNT-BLACK-NIP/272888876126?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Heads-up: There's two versions of the Andy's front truck mounts...one that sleeve over the nose tubes (that one in the eBay link) and one for graphite/flat chassis that screws on top of the front arm mount blocks (the screw holes for the anti-sway bar).

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I appreciate it guys. The front Andy's conversion body mounts that I've seen for sale all mount to the nose tubes. I'm going to make a front mount using kydex. Probably something similar to the JG conversion mount. I might have a rear mount coming my way already. I also have a design drawn up to make my own from kydex. I may make it just to see which one I like more. Hopefully I have a set of arms coming next week. The part that seems to be a pain to find is the battery cup. I bought a nice new Andy's battery strap and it became obvious real quick that it doesn't mount to an associated battery cup.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

As an alternative to the jg style body mount, and just as easy to fabricate, you could do a wrap around skid mount like the old A&L pieces. The neat thing there is that you can also mount the body mounts at the grill instead of through the hood. Mines not adjusted to the correct angle but you get the idea.
Attachments
2C3DABCA-579E-4CD9-B7EA-C66D0000EBD0.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

That's a great idea! I was going to make a skid plate anyway, so it only makes sense to incorporate the front body mount into it. Thanks, I'm going to give that a try.
By the way, that six wheel truck unbelievable. I've been pondering a 6 or 8 wheel clodbuster build, but what you got there is BADASS! 8)

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

So I let this build sit around in the "cabinet of started, but unfinished projects" for a couple months now and finally decided to get it going again and changed directions a little. I ditched the Andy's chassis and went with a black tub instead. Everything was going good until I realized that the rear body mount is meant to bolt to a six gear tranny, and I'm running a stealth. No big deal, I got lots of options to solve that. Now this happened. Anyone care to chime in where I went wrong here? Black tub c stamp chassis, Andy's monster truck conversion shock tower and front bulkhead. I really don't want to grind into the shock tower
Attachments
DSC01513.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That tower is probably meant to run with the Andy's chassis with no brace tubes. I'd run a different front tower.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Get you a 10T front tower from Factory Works?
Bum on Direct Deposit

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I think I'm going to grind a small relief big enough so the tubes will clear. I hate to grind on brand new Andy's parts, but their not doing me any good like this.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Basher67 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm Everything was going good until I realized that the rear body mount is meant to bolt to a six gear tranny, and I'm running a stealth. No big deal, I got lots of options to solve that.
For the rear body mount I think you can get a trans brace that has both the 6-gear and stealth holes...then use the 6 gear holes for the mount and the stealth for the trans.
NomadRacer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm Get you a 10T front tower from Factory Works?
10T tower won't Work but A&L did have a long front shock tower that'd work with nose tubes. Actually Gomachv makes a few that would work.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

In hindsite, buying the shock tower set from Factory Works would have been better and cheaper, than sourcing nip Andy's parts that aren't compatible with each other. I won't make that mistake again. :roll: I've seen the high quality of Jeff's shock towers and they are impressive. :mrgreen: