VH1 Where are They Now: The Posi-Lock System

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PerryCodes
Approved Member

VH1 Where are They Now: The Posi-Lock System

Post by PerryCodes »

What ever happened to the posi-lock system that (afaik) originated (and died) with the RC10GT2... Why didn't Associated ever use this in any other trucks/buggies? Does it suck? Enquiring minds want to know!

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: VH1 Where are They Now: The Posi-Lock System

Post by RC10th »

Its only purpose in my opinion were hour long Gas Truck A-Mains where a quick tire change during a pit stop was helpful. With the demise of gas truck racing there wasn't really a need for them anymore.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

It's only advantage is to enable very fast wheel changes. It's been used in 1/8th on road for 30+ years, where their hour long mains mean their foam tyres can wear down and they can pit for fresh tyres which takes only seconds to change all four. That is why it was fitted to the RC10GT2, so when running in a 30 or 60 minute final if your spikes wear down then changing rear tyres would only add around 5 seconds to a fuel stop.

The disadvantages are extra unsprung weight in the wheels which affects suspension setup, and extra rotational mass which will affect acceleration and braking as it is like adding two small flywheels to each driveshaft. As electric runs 5 minute heats there is no need to change tyres during the race, so there is no need for a quick change system.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I have one on one of my T4's. Kina cool but I didn't put it on any other models. Didn't use it as much as I thought I might.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS