RC Carbon works belt drive and direct drive transmissions?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

firebird1999us
Approved Member

RC Carbon works belt drive and direct drive transmissions?

Post by firebird1999us »

Just saw these listed at RC Carbon works... they look like take offs of the old trackmaster transmissions.

http://rccarbonworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=215

http://rccarbonworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=216

I'm just unclear where the parts to complete them could be found? Like the belt, the stand offs/spacers, the correct diff, and brackets to attach to the chassis? I can't imagine they're just for people with trackmaster transmissions already because that seems like a super small market to target...

I got excited when I saw it because it looked like a good solution to my transmission needs for he Carbon works build!

I emailed the site owner and am waiting on a response... figured I'd put it out there to some of the knowledgeable folks here;)

blubblood
Approved Member

Re: RC Carbon works belt drive and direct drive transmissions?

Post by blubblood »

Those are replacement parts for Trackmaster trans, belt and direct drive. Many had heavier aluminum plates. No repair parts except what pops up on ebay. Which are you looking for? I have a new/unbuilt CF direct drive and a used aluminum belt drive I haven't tested. I'm thinking on trying a Stealth or MIP.

firebird1999us
Approved Member

Post by firebird1999us »

Which was considered the more appealing of the two- direct drive or belt? Based on appearance I assumed they were heavier duty transmissions - is that the case? Any way to brace them to the rear bulkhead like a stealth?

blubblood
Approved Member

Post by blubblood »

Don't really know which was more appealing or desirable, just something different. I kinda assumed the direct drive was designed for more on-road and the belt for off-road, just a guess. I've seen them both ways. Trackmaster also made an oval conversion chassis that used the RC10 suspension. GoMachV makes a fiberglass copy of the conversion chassis. There is no provision to directly brace the drives to the bulkhead, but you can get creative. On the belt drive, I thought replacing the threaded standoff with a thru bolt, 2 wide spacers, and a turnbuckle to a brace on the bulkhead. There is an example of anchoring the direct drive also.
Attachments
Replace standoff with spacers and tie rod to bulkhead
Replace standoff with spacers and tie rod to bulkhead
Bracing example on direct drive
Bracing example on direct drive
GoMachV's conversion chassis
GoMachV's conversion chassis