Ebay RC10T2 resto

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Ebay RC10T2 resto

Post by joey_zrl »

I have been wanting to restore an Associated truck for a while now, and I happened across a really nice RC10T2 roller on ebay at a price I couldn't pass on. :D

It has a few scratches on the bottom of the chassis, but the rest of the truck looks to be in really good shape.

It's missing a few pieces like the battery strap and the gear cover, but I think this truck in itself is a good platform to start with.

I'll definitely replace the bearings and go over the transmission gears and diff balls/plates, and anything else that needs replacing.

Does anyone know what tires and rims were originally used on this truck? I'm thinking ribbed fronts and knobby rears on one piece rims?

I have some gold shocks with black plastic caps from a T3, but I do believe this truck had team shocks. Not sure if there was a run with the golds?

Any info or help towards restoring this truck would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172548175600

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Re: Ebay RC10T2 resto

Post by joey_zrl »

Sorry the pics didn't show up in my link.

T2 roller pics:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That looked like a really nice one. Glad you got it.

Check the manual on team associated.com. tires will be listed as well as all the spare part numbers.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

jwscab wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:55 pm That looked like a really nice one. Glad you got it.

Check the manual on team associated.com. tires will be listed as well as all the spare part numbers.
Thanks jwscab. I hear that the T2 is hard to find in 'very good' condition, so I'm super stoked to have found it! 8) I also found out that the Sport model came with gold shocks and bushings. I'll probably go ahead and use my gold T3 shocks until I can locate some team shocks.

I will most likely order a direct replacement body from Team Associated, as well as the wheels. Thanks for the compliment and the help.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

These are the gold shocks from my T3 Sport that I plan to install onto the T2. I would rather have the Team shocks, so I will be on the prowl for a set. :idea: I've had these gold shocks in a zip-lok bag since 1996-97 or so. They were filled with silicone oil before storage. It surprised me that they weren't leaking, and the o-rings weren't even dry-rotted. I topped them off with fresh oil today, so they'll be ready for the T2. I think the shock sizes are 1.32" on the rear, and 1.02" on the front? Am I correct?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Should be 1.02 and 1.32.

Shady Rascal
Approved Member

Post by Shady Rascal »

The body is Associated part number 6130. In stock at Tower for 15.49

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFWUR&P=7

Rear wheels are Associated part number 7803. In stock for 5.49

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2985&P=7

Front wheel is Associated part number 7842. In stock for 5.49

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2949&P=7

Gear cover is Associated part number 7372. I didn't see it listed at Tower currently.

Battery strap is Associated 7326. I didn't see it currently listed either.

It looks like rear tires were originally listed as ProLine XTR "mini pin" or "stubby T" and front tires were ProLine XTR "Edge"

Factory parts list....https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10T2/Team/cat_10t2.pdf

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the help. I just snagged a battery strap NIP on ebay. Thanks for the part numbers and links Shady Rascal.

Shady Rascal
Approved Member

Post by Shady Rascal »

You're welcome. I'm a nerd at looking stuff up. That's a clean truck. If I had seen it, you'd have been bidding against me.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Battery strap and gear cover are some of the hardest parts to find. They do pop up from time to time. Try giving Klavy a tingle as he seemed to have an endless supply of gear covers when I was chasing a few, otherwise Ebay and oldrc.com are your best bet.

Edit: Don't forget the battery pad which should still be available.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Shady Rascal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:36 pm You're welcome. I'm a nerd at looking stuff up. That's a clean truck. If I had seen it, you'd have been bidding against me.
I hear ya man. It had a buy it now price of $79.50, so I didn't hesitate on my quick draw. :lol: I have been going off the deep end looking for a nice vintage T2 lately, so I consider myself lucky.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

RC10th wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 pm Battery strap and gear cover are some of the hardest parts to find. They do pop up from time to time. Try giving Klavy a tingle as he seemed to have an endless supply of gear covers when I was chasing a few, otherwise Ebay and oldrc.com are your best bet.

Edit: Don't forget the battery pad which should still be available.
Will do RC10th. Thanks for the help Sir.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I was very close to clicking the BIN until I saw that one pesky extra hole in the tub. After that I had to pass.

Although, the complete trans, nose plate and misc. plastic parts were probably worth it. As most around here know, the truck specific parts like arms, towers, universal, etc..... I have no use for. :wink:

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Scr8p..I figured a lot of folks on here had already spotted that. :lol: I'm thinking the previous owner was trying to relocate the front battery brace to work with a shorty pack.

I can think of a few ways to delete the hole without marring up the metal around it. JB weld, a razer blade, and a black sharpie should get me started... for now. Most of the oldies have a little bondo somewhere anyway, lol.

It will be a fun runner project though.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

So the T2 came in the mail yesterday, and I cleaned it up a bit and swapped out the rusty turnbuckles and tie rods with fresher T3 counterparts. The Gold shocks went on, and mounted up nicely.

A few things that I noticed after some inspection was that it had one or two ball-studs that had backed themselves out on the steering bellcrank, but I tightened them back down with no issue. It had one bent ball stud on the right steering knuckle, but luckily I had a few exact replacements. The servo saver has a cracked lower section, so I added that to my short-list.

Lastly, I took a black sharpie and went over the visible bare metal on the inside diameter of the hole that someone drilled in the chassis. I think I will leave it be because anything I do to try to fix it, will probably make it worse. It is what it is.

I have an NIP battery strap hold down on the way, as well as rear body mounts. All I need is a gear cover, battery pad, body, wheels and tires. Oh, and Team shocks. That should be keep me busy over the course of a few years. :lol: