RC10GT Brushless Conversion Performance Review

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

RC10GT Brushless Conversion Performance Review

Post by Basher67 »

I thought I would share my experience building, track testing, and bashing my RC10GT brushless conversion. I've seen some really nice builds doing these conversions but could never find a whole lot about the end result as far as performance and is it worth the time/expense for what you have when your done. I started out with a GT that I picked up for $25 that was covered in nitro goo and had a broken transmitter. After cleaning it up, i noticed the nice turnbuckles with rpm ends, rpm bumper, carbon fiber shock tower etc. I decided to try out an electric conversion since I've phased out all my old nitro trucks. There is an indoor offroad carpet track fairly close to me and I thought it would be cool to try a mid motor truck with the unlimited traction of the carpet track. Well, the first attempt at the conversion was a 19t brushed motor mounted on a universal engine bracket. The battery sat lengthwise front to back at a slight angle. Needless to say, this halfass attempt did not bring the results I was looking for, but I did learn a few things. #1 with the weight biased forward already because of the mid motor setup, the battery needs to sit sideways as close to the motor as possible for better balancing. ( I was landing more jumps on the roof than the tires) #2 This truck is durable! It was built to handle nitro power and can take my abuse and keep going. #3 brushless power was going to be necessary to get the kind of performance I wanted.

So I redid the whole setup, starting with a dynotech motor mount and carbon fiber esc shelf. I want to take a second to point out to anyone considering this conversion that this motor mount is the only way to go. If I remember right it was less than $30 and the problems it solves and the work it saves is worth every penny. I then relocated the battery sideways as far back as I could. I used this build as an opportunity to try out one of the GoolRC motor, esc and programming card deals. The motor is the 4 pole 3800kv 3660 and the esc is advertised at 80 amps.

What a difference! The balance is much better and the power is ridiculous. I started out with the esc set to full "punch" and learned to turn it down very quickly. I nailed the throttle on the asphalt in front of my house and it launched so hard and wheelied so violently that it flipped on its roof and skidded down the street at least 30 ft. So my assessment of the build? I think that if you primarily run on dirt tracks or any low traction surface, you're better off looking for a rear motor truck. The extra weight to the rear just affords better traction to the rear wheels. My son consistently launches faster and just seems to hook up better all around the dirt track with his T3. Carpet is another story. THis truck is awesome on the carpet track. The weight being more central in the truck results in better steering under power. Now I'm not going to try to tell you that this thing is going to be competitive with the newer purpose built race trucks. But it does hold its own and is a blast. Finally, just from a bashing fun to run truck perspective, I was very happy with the outcome of this project. So far it's been very durable and very fast and when I consider that I only have a couple hundred bucks in the whole thing, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Attachments
rc10gt conversion.jpg
DSC06867.JPG
DSC06866.JPG
DSC06865.JPG

Russellrc10

Re: RC10GT Brushless Conversion Performance Review

Post by Russellrc10 »

Hi I was wondering if any know anyone with a original gt body I chasing one of my gt build billy easton
Thanks

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I would check with TBG (team blue groove) out of Canada. They reproduce a ton of out of production bodies. I have used many of their bodies and have always been very happy with the quality. They have an Ebay store with an impressive selection of bodies available. The body you see here on mine is a vintage Dahm's GT Slammer.

PerryCodes
Approved Member

Post by PerryCodes »

I see you opted for that ESC shelf... any issues with a higher center of gravity when navigating turns?

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Not at all. The small amount of weight from the esc is better off being near the rear tires to aid in traction in my opinion. Another good option would be to mount it on the rear of the truck, where the battery pack used to sit, on the backside of the shock tower. I just felt it was a little more exposed to possible damage back there.

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Nice!

What body it that? I am using the Tower ST15 body...
IMG_1933.JPG

I like mine on clay, but could use a bit more rear weight bias. I guess I could replace my shorty with a full size.
RC10 WC re-re / SC10.2 / RC10 CE / 2x RC10GT-E / Futaba FX10

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

mine is a dahm's gt slammer body

BohemianBabyDev

Post by BohemianBabyDev »

Basher67 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 pm So far it's been very durable and very fast and when I consider that I only have a couple hundred bucks in the whole thing, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
What gearing are you using? Original 32 Spur right?
What pinion? I have a 48p 84 tooth and a 31 spur with a 17.5 in mine and doesn't launch at all.
(Not that it needs to it's just very manageable).
Have had some issues with the confines of the motor next to the transmission and the limiting gear factor.