RC500 Rear Suspension

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zipster
Approved Member

RC500 Rear Suspension

Post by Zipster »

I picked up a 2wd RC500 a while back (pics below) without any rear shocks, and the upper shock mount broken on one side. In looking at a ton of threads and pics all over the place, it looks like there are two main rear shock mounting approaches. One, which is probably what mine had, that attaches the rear shocks directly to the upper arms and angle in to the middle at the bottom, and another that uses a separate shock tower and mounts the shocks vertically. This leads me to several questions:

1. Were those different versions of the car, or was the shock plate an option/upgrade?
2. Were the shocks the same? What shocks are they (in some cases they look like front early RC10, the fronts are the same gold, and I've seen references to "RC10 front shock conversion") ? I stuck on a random front gold shock and it fit pretty well - is that the same shock in the tower version?

I'm a long way from restoring the car, but looking to figure out what parts I need to be gathering.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sten
Attachments
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: RC500 Rear Suspension

Post by GoMachV »

I'm not positive if it was a running change or just a conversion, but here are the instructions for converting it along with part numbers

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4hnd1wJQLh5OVp1V2xmcnZsdTA/edit?usp=docslist_api
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

You can access the manual at the following link:

http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/discontinued/

The shocks you have mount vertically. The smaller (older) style mount diagnolly.

Cool project!

-Limestang
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1987 times

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

RC10resto has a nice example of the older chain drive style. See link below:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37343[url][/url]

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

Thanks guys! Great info! I think that, given the broken a-arm and the fact that I have extra front gold pan shocks, I'll go the route of the shock kit/tower - or at least start gathering parts for it. I love these cars/this era - they really expected a lot more ability and willingness to modify and be creative. Seems like half of the instructions were cutting up and modifying parts!

Really looking forward to this build, although at the speed I go, it'll be a lot more vintage before it's done!

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Here's a contact for Associated 1/8 parts. He may have what you need and is good to deal with:

Bert Bonem
RCCAR-GUY
[email protected]
Fullerton, CA. 92835
USA
714-683-8275

Otherwise, scan Ebay on a regular basis. Depending on the part's needed, you may look at buying a parts vehicle. The 4wd parts are especially challenging to find. I look forward to seeing your RC500 finished.

- Limestang

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

That's funny - I realized I bought a bunch of parts from him on ebay a few days ago! Thanks for the contact info. I'll have to reach out directly once I figure out a list of needs.

I also found the rear shock tower on ebay as well, so off to a good start!

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

Be aware that the black rear shocktower requires two small spacers to mount it properly. The spacers are same material/thickness as the fibreglass shocktower itself, just under an inch long (I think...) and each one has two holes.

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

I have rebuilt about 5 RC500's, and I have found that most people don't pay attention to the assembly clearances of front, but especially rear upper and lower A-arms. These need to swing freely, and require a lot of careful trimming and reaming. Buy a few good chucking framers sizes .125" and .126" to make the hinge pins fit properly. But don't ream all holes, for instance the fit of the pins in the rear hub carriers should be tight.
Also, work in a specific order/pattern. For example, start on lower inboard, then outward below, then outward above, then back to inboard above...am I making sense?

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

Thanks - I was able to get the rear tower, and it has one of the spacers (I think - it's an odd shaped piece, 'bout an inch long with two holes, so sounds right) - will need to find, or make, a second.

Makes sense on the assembly/spacing front. I was just building a re-re RC10, and had to do much of that to get the front end working right.

I don't know when I'm going to really get going on the resto on this one - I also have an RC250, 12i, and a host of other projects awaiting attention - but I'm mostly keeping an eye out for the parts I'm obviously missing at this point (this is my least-complete project), and starting to learn more about the 1/8 cars in general. Seeing them race in Reno as a kid got me hooked on RC, but until the last month or two, I'd never laid a finger on one.