My Associated RC12e and RC12i

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Cuemaster

My Associated RC12e and RC12i

Post by Cuemaster »

Hi all, I'm new here.

I recently sorted out my collection of old race cars, I build and raced in Perth, Western Australia back in the early 1980's. Originally with a RC12e then later a RC12i.

I need to get some parts, tyres are all dry and cracked from 20 years in the shed and some hot summers. The RC and some electrics need some attention, but i remember it working about 10 years ago. I charged one battery on the weekend and the motor in RC12i on the right still runs, the sound bought back some happy memories....

There are enough parts to get the RC12e running, I even have one of the old speed resistors, but i need to find a plastic body.

It should be fun to get back to some hands on electrical/mechanical work for a change.

cheers

Steve

harold996tt
Approved Member

Re: My Associated RC12e and RC12i

Post by harold996tt »

That's amazing that you kept your cars all this time... and even found them. I have had to start buying from fleebay in order to rekindle my long lost interest in Associated cars.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Man...how long did it take you to arrange everything for that picture? :shock: :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Cuemaster

Post by Cuemaster »

Coelacanth wrote:Man...how long did it take you to arrange everything for that picture? :shock: :lol:

All day, but it was nice to revisit all the bits, and try to work out what can be restored, and remember how things work.

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

Hang on I just noticed you said you raced these in Perth Western Australia! I am originally from there and was a young kid back then. Went to one of the races that I think was done under lights in some shopping centre but didn't know left from right back then. Bought my stuff from a guy called Alan Hurst if memory serves me right at Strombecker Hobbies along Barrack Street.

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

I even spot a BC Elecrtonics speed controller on the car on the right!!! I had one of those...

Cuemaster

Post by Cuemaster »

Hi,

Yes we used to race at La Plaza shopping centre and later Southlands shopping centre.
In winter we raced at an indoor sports hall at a school some where.

I remember Strombecker hobbies too, I remember Alan, he was one of the "A grade" racers.

I'm trying to find out more about that ESC, it was working until recently, Im sure it's a dry joint some where...

I recently ordered a new battery and Hobbyking ESC, and found some new tyres at a local hobby shop.

My aim is to restore one car as original as possible and one with some modern parts for some fun.

cheers

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

Good times. Wonder whatever happened to Alan.would be amazing to see you restore one up. Wish I had kept mine from back in the day.what memories.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Hello from Australia.... Nice collection of Associated 12's you have there. The fact that you held onto them for so long is amazing.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Cuemaster

Post by Cuemaster »

Some progress on my Associated RC 12

The RC 12I is now running, I fixed the ESC and have had some fun running it around my drive way at home

The RC12E is cleaned and re-assembled, I bought the last sets of vintage tires at a local shop and battery and ESC online
I was delighted to find a resistor recharging cable online, but its to good to take out of the packet :lol:

I need to get the JR receiver fixed, but no one in town seems to do the repairs, so it may need to be sent to a service centre in Adelaide.

cheers
Attachments
Associated RC12
Associated RC12

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The good old suicide charge cables, those things were dangerous.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Very cool! It's like a time capsule was opened. Not sure if I would change much on those two besides adding a body.

Cuemaster

Post by Cuemaster »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:Very cool! It's like a time capsule was opened. Not sure if I would change much on those two besides adding a body.
Yes, I'm trying to keep them as original as I can remember, scratches included. I'm browsing E-Bay for some NOS parts. The new Hobby King ESC is nice to drive with, but not so original... but its ok.

2 more photos from the olden days 1981 maybe?

Also a recent photo with a Protoform body. I was never very good at cutting them out, so I'm hesitant to start the painting and cutting. Yes I still have the same tools....

cheers
Attachments
Building the car Christmas day 1981
Building the car Christmas day 1981
Freshly painted  12e and 12i ....1983
Freshly painted 12e and 12i ....1983
Protoform Strakka body ....2015
Protoform Strakka body ....2015

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

That's incredibly cool! I'm loving that Marlboro car. 8) Wish I had kept my old hobby gear from back then.

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

That is so cool having the photos of the cars back in the day. Love the use of the Channel 9 logo!!!