RC10LC - IFMAR 1996 On-Road Worlds Special

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Niki
Approved Member

RC10LC - IFMAR 1996 On-Road Worlds Special

Post by Niki »

Hello,

I got these two RC10LC's into my possession. Both were driven in IFMAR 1996 On-Road Worlds (Revelation Raceway).
10LC_001.JPG
I've been trying to gather up information about these quite rare cars.
Please let me know if some of my datas ain't right.

RC10LC was some kind of Limited Edition or Prototype for the 1996 On-Road World Championships.
It was a complete kit packed in RC10LS box and did not include any manual.
It was never released to actual production.

Associated had two different bodies for it.
On the right: Nissan 96 GTP #6139 (Yes, I know, the T3 Ford Truck body has the same number!)
On the left: Nissan GTP #????
I have one uncut clear #6139 body. That's why I'm sure about the type and code. The unknown body on the left is my only one.
Front end is lower and it has lifted side edges. More downforce I assume.

I found one old ad in RCCA magazine June 1996.
10LC_002.jpg
Information here about the rear pod sure is wrong. RC10LC do not share the rear pod with 12LC.
10LC has the same T-bar as 10L2 so it is impossible to mount the 12LC pod to it. Also the 10LC rear pod is actually wider than 12LC pod.

Here you can see the size of the RC10LC (210mm wide). It really is short. Reference on the left is RC10L2 (235mm wide). On the right is RC10LSO (200mm wide).
10LC_003.JPG
Next week I will test it on carpet indoors... :)
10LC_004.JPG
-N-

Jirka
Approved Member

Re: RC10LC - IFMAR 1996 On-Road Worlds Special

Post by Jirka »

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Ain't it obvious that car in ClassicRC picture is RC10LC? Maybe Swauger drove both 10LS and 10LC? So that is his LC. Rare photo anyway.

In RCCA 1996 December, IFMAR On-Road World Champs story pictures Swaugers winning car like this:
10LC_005.JPG
Looks like a LS to me. Text tells a different story.

-N-

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

OK both RCCA and me was wrong but all drivers had several cars also. Pictures are really RC10LC, no other cars.
Unfortunately all of my other original pictures of Associated cars are not available anymore also the negatives went lost in the meantime. Without reference the viewing angle was misleading regarding dimensions but after receiving scans from other magazines now, yes my own picture also is showing the RC10LC. Corrected also at Classic RC.

BTW congrats on your find. Rare car for sure.

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Thanks.

I spent a few hours reseaching all kinds of references I could find and had of course the real car sitting on my desk. That's why I was quite sure about this.

This is what I have so far found out:
RC10LC has clearly unique chassis plate. Rear chassis brace seems to be also one of its kind. It is really close to 10L2 rear chassis brace #8207 but the stanoff holes do not match.
Rear pod upper and lower plates are special versions. Bulkheads are standard #4536 and #4537. T-bar is standard 10L2 #8191.
Front suspension attachment holes match with Super Speedway cars 10LSS and 10LSO. Rear track width is 210mm. It uses long rear axle #8210 but the shorter one #4355 can be used also.

Last night I drove the car first time on carpet track. I had so much fun my 1/12 scale pan car is surely going to a break for a while :D

-N-

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Rear pod is balanced with brushless motor! Nice!

-N-
10LC_006.jpg

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

wow those cars are beautiful! what a find!

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

I've been now running my other RC10LC on a indoor carpet track. It's a lot of fun... but...
...before anything bad happends I desided to fab a separate running car and leave the original 10LC's on a shelf.
Some small changes can also be done at the same time.
Original chassis thickness is 2mm. I'm going to drive this car mainly indoors so a small increase will probably be a good thing. Will start with 2.4-2.6mm.
Short wheelbase brings more stiffness also.
So this is going to be my prototype of a prototype...
While making the 3d-model I named the assembly NIX10LC. Yes, that's a good name. I just leave it there.

-N-
10LC_007.jpg

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

yeah i have one of those driven by Petri kyrölainen not sure about the spelling but i bought it from him back in the day tried to order part for it once but they had never heard of it.

i also have un cut body for it I talked to protoform they made the body for it bitd but they have destroyed the mold some year ago.

mvh Isobarik

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Hi Isobarik,
Finally another RC10LC owner signs up. Noticed your old posts on R/C Tech-forum so I knew you have (or had) one car.
It was a surprise you have Petri's car. I heard Petri sold his car to France! So it's not true. You live in Sweden, am I right?
I was told only 5 cars ever got to Finland. So I have two of them and you have one. Where are all the other not-Finn driven 10LC's?
I heard an estimate that 30 pcs of 10LC's were driven in 1996 Worlds and the total of factory prototype production was only 50 pcs.
I haven't got confirmation for it from AE Factory. AE do not have any documentation to share either.

-N-

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Niki wrote:Rear pod is balanced with brushless motor! Nice!

-N-
10LC_006.jpg
Reduce the right rear hub to two screws and it would likely balance out perfect :wink:

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

I had the origin body for it with the numbers and all i think he was in the b or c main with it ...but it got lost so i traced one body down and i still know of one more owner who has his car left. There are pics of it on pixbox but the server is down for the moment.

I trained 1/12 back in the days with petri and raced in torneå it was fun and the tracks was always challenging and the grip was high. yeah i live in sweden Luleå so 12 mil to torneå.

He also came down to luleå and we drove 1/10 track several times his dad was very excited and bought my used trc tyres since they where yellow and he couldnt get those but i could. His mum had knitted him some finger gloves with the AE logo on them was kind of cool.

I bought tires betteries and motors from antero/petri since they where cheaper
and the quality was higher. especially the tires i used to take orders and get them for my friends aswell.
I have an case with batteries from bitd very high capacity atleast it was and a couple of cam/reedy motors aswell.

For the wc 92 1/12 i bought some P-170scr for him to use in the race very high cap then atleast i think 4/5 sets. Antero said thet they where very good and made the runtime with eas but petri was not on the same level regarding driving skillz of the fast guys so it became more watch and learn.

During the summertime i sometimes drove 1/12 on the local outdoor track here in luleå since it is rather small, i would have gone to wc96 if i have would have known that all the swedish guys stayed at home because the track for 1/12 was not on carpet.

mvh isobarik

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Niki wrote:Ain't it obvious that car in ClassicRC picture is RC10LC? Maybe Swauger drove both 10LS and 10LC? So that is his LC. Rare photo anyway.

In RCCA 1996 December, IFMAR On-Road World Champs story pictures Swaugers winning car like this:
10LC_005.JPG
Looks like a LS to me. Text tells a different story.

-N-

pod is to big and old style left side plasti, chassi has to many slotts .

clearly an LS or what ever they called them.

mvh Isobarik

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Too long and narrow. Sorry. As far as I know the only options are 2 Asso bodies and HPI #7002 Nissan NPT92 from Road Star 10GW.
RC10LC wheelbase is 235mm (9.25") with in-line steering.
Rear width in Asso bodies 210mm, front 192mm.

-N-