RC10DS Nitro - 41 Willys - dedicated page

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...
LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS Nitro - 41 Willys - dedicated page

Post by LoboNYC »

I decided to make a thread for my RC10 Nitro DS Willys. it was born of spare parts. it was mentioned in my Camaro thread but i felt it needed a thread of its own.

It has slowly evolved and has yet to be finished. A high speed setup was the intended goal. It has a spur & pinion 56/24 for a 2.3:1 ratio. The manual has part numbers for 56,58, & 60 tooth spurs and 22 or 24 tooth clutch bells. i'm not sure what the stock ratio is but i went with high speed. I managed to find an associated 54 tooth spur which would bring the ratio to 2.25:1. This has to yet to be fitted.

I shoe-horned an OS .18 engine with MIP 4n1 clutch shoes & spring. Although a Paris Racing pipe was going to be fitted...i couldn't resist the smooth glazed blue stock associated pipe. The associated header was not used as there was a clearance issue with the stock tire.

NTC3blue anodized shocks with blue springs. they proved to stiff and were later replaced

Silver springs in the rear

Green springs in the front

steel screws were replaced stainless steel whereever possible

Traxxas servos used for throttle/brake duties

Traxxas servo used for steering. servo saver used for protection in order to replace stock associated steering assembly with a MIP ball bearing steering setup.

GPM RC10GT aluminum front axle hubs used. They fit perfectly.

here is the setup. i love the blues but if you notice i used a GT header. This header was later replaced because it did not clear the stock tire. When the suspension compresses the tire rubs onto the hot pipe. I solved this issue on another car by using offset wheels but not in this case. I wish to keep the stock wheels on this project so i replaced it with a duratrax manifold set part # DTX8272. The header exits at a higher angle so the stock tire clears it through its entire suspension cycle. I thank Romulus22 for this fix.

Aluminum suspension mounts and tranny brace used. notice how close the tire is to the header.
Oh by the way, titanium turnbuckles and RPM ball cup ends are used as well.

The 62t spur was later replaced with a 56t spur. As i mention there is a 54 spur waiting for install in order to make this just a little faster, hehehe

here is the present 56/24 setup

Front end

GPM DS dogbones used along with polished cupends.

This is the Duratraxx header part # DTX8272 This clears the tire when the suspension compresses.

Now getting that big engine to fit required some modifying. in order for the header to clear 3 of the heatsink fins had to be removed. you can see above the silicone coupler.

here is a little trick i fingured out and use on most of my nitro setups. I replace one of the engine mount screws with a longer one. This allows me to attach with a small nut a duratrax filter mount and filter. it keeps the filter tucked away between the fuel tank and the aluminum tub wall.

Big power

The Sleeper

Throttle/Brake Linkages, receiver/radio and receiver pack and some body details are only things keeping this from hitting the pavement. :mrgreen:

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Nitro DS - 41 Willys - dedicated page

Post by LoboNYC »

This sleeper is still evolving....

I always liked the HPI vitage wheels but i hate gluing tires. Ive been playing around with different style wheels for a while now, never happy...until now

These are a set of RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.9 Aluminum Beadlock wheels. Awesome!

This aint your daddy's DS!

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

Wow those wheels are really nice. RC4wd always produces good looking stuff. I bet that cv-r would rip the tires off that thing 8)

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

skunk.werkz wrote:Wow those wheels are really nice. RC4wd always produces good looking stuff. I bet that cv-r would rip the tires off that thing 8)
Thanks skunk.werkz, Those wheels are indeed sweeeeet. The only thing about them is they sit wide on the DS. i cant use them with the 200 mm muscle car bodies as i hoped for but they are perfect for the Willy body.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Had a look at all the close-ups...very nice build there! Of course, I'm a sucker for alloy...and blue. :) Very nice wheels, too, but the rears need some negative offset for that deep-dish look. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Coelacanth wrote:Had a look at all the close-ups...very nice build there! Of course, I'm a sucker for alloy...and blue. :) Very nice wheels, too, but the rears need some negative offset for that deep-dish look. 8)
Thanks! Coelacanth

i Agree with the rears needing that deep dish look.

It was a toss/up for me. I could have used the HPI version of the wheel style to achieve the correct deep dish look for the rear but the aluminum was just to sweet looking to pass up. Another benefit of the aluminum is that they are beadlock wheels. no more gluing.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Looking at those hubs it looks like there is enough meat there to mill the outside down some. Probably have to trim the axle protruding the axle nut to make benefit of it but if you feel like going through the trouble they might just have enough to get under the muscle car bodies.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

romulus22 wrote:Looking at those hubs it looks like there is enough meat there to mill the outside down some. Probably have to trim the axle protruding the axle nut to make benefit of it but if you feel like going through the trouble they might just have enough to get under the muscle car bodies.
Hey Todd, Your right about the milling of the hub as well as the axle. I say i would need to remove about 5mm off the front of the hub that attaches to the wheel. The axle threads would have to be shortened by 5mm as well in order for the wheel to attach to the hub.

I dont have a way to shorten the hub so the easiest way for me to attempt would be to contact the RC4WD and see if they would make one set custom for me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

For the price of custom hubs just pick up a decent angle grinder. Chuck the hub onto an old axle in a drill and lathe it down that way. Take your time and some fine grit sandpaper and the finished product can look like it was done on a real mill or lathe.

CruzinCustomz
Approved Member

Post by CruzinCustomz »

Great looking DS! I might have to pick up a nitro DS one day. Let us know how the tires hold up on the bead-locks once you get it running.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

romulus22 wrote:For the price of custom hubs just pick up a decent angle grinder. Chuck the hub onto an old axle in a drill and lathe it down that way. Take your time and some fine grit sandpaper and the finished product can look like it was done on a real mill or lathe.
I just checked out a video on the tool. Looks like i will be picking one up soon :mrgreen:

CruzinCustomz wrote:Great looking DS! I might have to pick up a nitro DS one day. Let us know how the tires hold up on the bead-locks once you get it running.
Thanks man!!! You wont be dissapointed with a nitro version DS. I ran my camaro DS all out this year a lot on a parking lot. There was no taking it easy, Full throttle runs with full throttle flips. It was a lot of fun watching the camaro body do its thing.

The beadlocks should keep the rally tires in place. I used those same wheels on my RC10GT, ran at full speed and of course burned rubber doing left and right turn donuts. The tires have not slipped off the wheels....

I will definitely keep you CruzinCustomz and everyone else posted!!!

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

You need any tips or suggestions on how to use an angle grinder dangerously let me know.