RC10 Pan Car Refurb (A&L trans update)

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

blubblood
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Pan Car Refurb (A&L trans update)

Post by blubblood »

I got the McAllister kit and was wondering if there was any mods needed to the Andy's arms and if it weakened them. Not a fan of the stock arms. The chassis a 3mm aluminum 'graphite look-alike' and set up for mid-motor and a pair of 2s lipos. I think I can mount a 2-speed also. Do you like rubber or foam for high speed? I kinda like Jaco truck foams. What was your top speed?

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

blubblood wrote:I got the McAllister kit and was wondering if there was any mods needed to the Andy's arms and if it weakened them. Not a fan of the stock arms. The chassis a 3mm aluminum 'graphite look-alike' and set up for mid-motor and a pair of 2s lipos. I think I can mount a 2-speed also. Do you like rubber or foam for high speed? I kinda like Jaco truck foams. What was your top speed?
No mods needed - didn't look weakened at all. Fastest I've been is 72. Once you hit the 60's tires become an issue. The newer style rubber stuff is way too soft and grows too much for my liking. The old school rubber tires were hard and would be perfect for top speed runs but you can't find it anymore...so foam it is. I was buying tamiya foam and putting that on my aluminum mag wheels and that was good til I hit the 60's and then they started falling off! lol. So I went to a pan car pre-mounted tire. So far they've been good but I lost a lot of gear. The Jaco truck foams might be my next set to get my gear back.

Keep your progress updated in a thread (or here if you want) - I like to see how others' do!

blubblood
Approved Member

Post by blubblood »

I've done better than 60 with a dragster, basically a yardstick with a bunch of batteries, but a suspension car has to be a handful. Are these the spindles you used -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/371106617828?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT? I'm planning on using standard front truck axles, if I can get tires.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

No I pieced everything together. I made a list of everything i used in this thread a couple pages back.

blubblood wrote:I've done better than 60 with a dragster, basically a yardstick with a bunch of batteries, but a suspension car has to be a handful. Are these the spindles you used -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/371106617828?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT? I'm planning on using standard front truck axles, if I can get tires.

blubblood
Approved Member

Post by blubblood »

I looked at your Shapeways page, what is your opinion on the 3d printed stuff? I saw some of the early printed stuff and wasn't impressed with the quality. How is the finish and strength, and can it be dyed like nylon?

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

blubblood wrote:I looked at your Shapeways page, what is your opinion on the 3d printed stuff? I saw some of the early printed stuff and wasn't impressed with the quality. How is the finish and strength, and can it be dyed like nylon?
I love the 3D printed stuff - I'm addicted to it! I've had no problems with it either. See my ION build (link in sig) - lots of 3d printed parts on that car - including stainless dogbones! However, there are also threads on the NIX91 car where their have been some durability issues with the 3d printed parts. I think that might be a US vs Netherlands thing though...Again I've not had any problems. The finish is real nice too. I've not had luck dying my parts however lots of guys here have - they say the trick is to get the polished white parts...I've not tried that - I just get the black from shapeways - much easier for me.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

That is a serious little car, very nice work.

blubblood
Approved Member

Post by blubblood »

What is the best shock length for the McAllister front end?

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

blubblood wrote:What is the best shock length for the McAllister front end?
I'd say the .56's - they will give you a bit more travel. If your setup is low and super stiff then the .71's will be fine.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Jimbo302 wrote:That is a serious little car, very nice work.
Thanks! Still a work in progress - still trying to figure out wheels/tires.

blubblood
Approved Member

Post by blubblood »

What is the overall shock length? Most all shock lengths are in mm.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

n20capri wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am Hmmm - well 72mph and the first signs of trans problems! However, it didn't help that I tried to hold the thing still while trying to heat up the tires. DOH. They stuck better than I expected and I heard some belt slippage and clicking. It was fine after that but this along with multiple speed runs and here we are.

I can't complain this trans is a beast - NOTE this is W/O a slipper too!!!! Unbelievable for sure. Just need to see if I can get a replacement belt and top shaft gear! lol. I have a video of the 72mph run but I have get it uploaded...stay tuned.
What gearing and motor to achieve 70+ and how long was the pass you made?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

KidAgain wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 pm
n20capri wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am Hmmm - well 72mph and the first signs of trans problems! However, it didn't help that I tried to hold the thing still while trying to heat up the tires. DOH. They stuck better than I expected and I heard some belt slippage and clicking. It was fine after that but this along with multiple speed runs and here we are.

I can't complain this trans is a beast - NOTE this is W/O a slipper too!!!! Unbelievable for sure. Just need to see if I can get a replacement belt and top shaft gear! lol. I have a video of the 72mph run but I have get it uploaded...stay tuned.
What gearing and motor to achieve 70+ and how long was the pass you made?
It's an atomik RED 120A esc with their 5.5T motor. Gearing for this run was 78/28 and a 3S battery. A&L trans of course. Also, really short 2.2" overall diameter foam tires. Switching to these tires lost me about 5mph with another gearing/battery/tire combo...I've since switched over to a 2.2" rim so with tire I'm over 3" - should get that MPH back if the tires stay together. lol. I also have 74/33 gearing now so it should be fun. Can't say for sure how long the run was - 3 seconds maybe???