Associated RC12i IFS

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

harold996tt
Approved Member

Associated RC12i IFS

Post by harold996tt »

Thanks to a good friend, I now finally have a car that I have been struggling to track down for a long time. As a young teenager growing up in Perth Australia, this was the last pan car that I ran. I remember thinking what a revolutionary design the front end was on this machine, even though it did not necessarily enhance the driving experience of the car compared to the standard spring front arms.

The car is in excellent condition with brand new chassis. Unfortunately even though the radio plate is also excellent, there is a hole drilled where the antenna probably was and this has been epoxy repaired. Will look to find another radio plate in due course. Also need to replace the screws on the radio plate as these are incorrect and then will remount the rear body posts and add the ride height adjuster. Also need to find the graphite chassis stiffener to complete this.

Am very happy.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Re: Associated RC12i IFS

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Congratulations on acquiring that car. 8)

I look forward to seeing your restoration progress on it.
Something clever goes here...

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

That is nice basis for a resto. The IFS cars are very tough to find these days. Looking forward to seeing the restoration.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Was there an update somewhere that told everyone to use different camber link holes? Mine had holes drilled and installed like this one, instead of upright per the book
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Mine doesn't even have holes there for mounting. Actually didn't notice until you mentioned it.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It seems very common so I'm thinking it was a popular mod of the day
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I have asked the same question before. I did not have a choice on one of my cars...

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

ChisaiKuso wrote:I have asked the same question before. I did not have a choice on one of my cars...

This is really interesting as yours does not indeed have the option of the on top mount. I unfortunately can't remember how my original kit was, nor how I ended up mounting it.

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:That is nice basis for a resto. The IFS cars are very tough to find these days. Looking forward to seeing the restoration.
Thanks very much. Yes these are getting very hard to come by. Btw I love your restoration...

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

harold996tt wrote:
PlastiZapCA+ wrote:That is nice basis for a resto. The IFS cars are very tough to find these days. Looking forward to seeing the restoration.
Thanks very much. Yes these are getting very hard to come by. Btw I love your restoration...

Thanks, I finally added period correct 1/12 wing buttons to it. It's about midway down the page.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=29700

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:Thanks, I finally added period correct 1/12 wing buttons to it. It's about midway down the page.
I have to ask. Did you find vintage wing buttons from back in the day, or are you using the re-release wing buttons?

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

ChisaiKuso wrote:
PlastiZapCA+ wrote:Thanks, I finally added period correct 1/12 wing buttons to it. It's about midway down the page.
I have to ask. Did you find vintage wing buttons from back in the day, or are you using the re-release wing buttons?
Those are the real deal, Kimbrough No. 125 for 1/12 cars. I picked them up on e-Bay from Crunchy. That guy always finds rare parts, never thought I would have found them. The re-re buttons are slightly larger and thicker, they would be a good match for the Kimbrough buttons though. Really not huge amoutn of difference.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Great car you got. :wink:
I have lots of Associated cars, any scale, but the RC12i IFS is something special and maybe hardest to find of their 1/12 cars.

harold996tt
Approved Member

Post by harold996tt »

V12 wrote:Great car you got. :wink:
I have lots of Associated cars, any scale, but the RC12i IFS is something special and maybe hardest to find of their 1/12 cars.
Thanks very much mate. I have just secured a second example in need of a bit more TLC that should be on its way to me soon. But I just couldn't resist the opportunity to own two of these. I really agree with you. The IFS car is really not easy to find. I love it. Now to try see what else you have in your collection. Time to do a search :)

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Not all of my cars are shown at the museum yet. Several of them still need parts to complete. Some of the brands are not shown at all as my ABC Carrera or the Phantom folded Lexan car. None of my 1/8 scale so far.
But due to massive work at the job I have not been able doing much at vintage cars through summer. But later this year there will be some interesting stuff added.

BTW regarding folded Lexan chassis cars. Thanks to a certain guy who just send me a package, there will be two sweet little folded Lexan cars shown at the museum. Someone have an idea which make/type these are? Not 1/12 scale. :wink: