3D printed RC12E project

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

makoman1860
Approved Member

3D printed RC12E project

Post by makoman1860 »

Hello,
First off forgive any stupid questions as I have never had, nor worked on a pan car of any kind (except motors). A friend of mine at work had toyed with building an R/C car using 3D printed parts and all, just for fun. When I saw the RC12E that Chris had drawn up I thought it would be a perfect project. Question I have is on the rear axle, from what I gather the 12E's used a solid axle and later on the ball diff was added. For tearing around the office conference room is a Diff going to make that big of a difference or would you stick to the simple solid axle? Also where is a good place to get tire foams? We are going to print off the wheels ourselves. Any advantage to moving the steering servo to the chassis and running a direct steering setup? Like I said, totally green to pan cars. Thanks!!

rraeford
Approved Member

Re: 3D printed RC12E project

Post by rraeford »

As far as the diff goes, I installed one on my first 12E in 1982 (long before I could drive worth a flip) and I noticed a tremendous difference. Basically, without it you turn quickly in one direction and push badly in the other. So I would make that change. I have the steering servo mounted on my 12E chassis -- like in a 12i. I don't know if there is an advantage other than lowering the center of gravity.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Got the first of some of the 12E parts back from the printer. My co-worker/friend used to work in the full size racing industry....and so couldnt help but modify the designs a bit. He drew up his own wheels as well, BBS style. Ill toss some pictures up if anyone is interested.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yes please 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

We all love pics

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Pics it is.......any thoughts?

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

rraeford wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 pm As far as the diff goes, I installed one on my first 12E in 1982 (long before I could drive worth a flip) and I noticed a tremendous difference. Basically, without it you turn quickly in one direction and push badly in the other. So I would make that change.
A lack of a differential will not make a car turn quickly in one direction and push badly in the other. A car doing that is unbalanced (i.e. "tweaked").
Something clever goes here...

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

makoman1860 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:11 pm Pics it is.......any thoughts?
I would be skeptical about the strength of those parts, but they look awesome! 8)
Something clever goes here...

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Strength wise, its not bad once vacuum impregnated with structural epoxy, about the same as nylon 6/6. Im interested to see how well they hold up. As a back up Im printing the original design as well.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

makoman1860 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:59 pm Strength wise, its not bad once vacuum impregnated with structural epoxy, about the same as nylon 6/6. Im interested to see how well they hold up. As a back up Im printing the original design as well.
Is that impregnation commonly available ? Sounds interesting.
And a pretty design too.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Mr. ED wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:24 am
makoman1860 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:59 pm Strength wise, its not bad once vacuum impregnated with structural epoxy, about the same as nylon 6/6. Im interested to see how well they hold up. As a back up Im printing the original design as well.
Is that impregnation commonly available ? Sounds interesting.
And a pretty design too.
It seems pretty common in industry if you are dealing with laser sintered nylon. We have done parts in laser sintered nylon that has carbon fiber strands in it as well, however the material cost is about 6x that of standard SLS. The fun here has been to see how low the cost can be kept by making all our own parts. Looks like at this point, the only parts that need to be bought are a spur gear, diff balls and thrust rings, ball bearings and steering linkage, plus screws. The rolling chassis minus body should cost about $30. Add a brushed ESC, stock can motor, cheap servo and cheap radio and we are looking at maybe $120 RTR with a NiMh battey pack. Might be a fun little spec type racer for an office league.....

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

Those wheels look bada$$! Do you plan to make the stock ones as well? Hard to find those in good shape.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

I dont see why not? As soon as I get the other printed parts they can all get dyed.....havent decided on a color yet though.