B5 wheels on RC10?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

twisted
Approved Member

B5 wheels on RC10?

Post by twisted »

tomorrow iam getting a restored rc10 worlds but it has the 3/16 axles on it. i want to run modern wheels front to back. what do i need to get to do so? i know the re release has new cvds,is that all i need for the rear?

thanks

JK Racing
Approved Member

Re: B5 wheels on RC10?

Post by JK Racing »

Your gonna have to do some swapping and buying and drilling....

Up front: B4.2 carriers and knuckle assembly - you will need to drill them out for 1/8" hinge pin where they mount to the arm. Use th axles, bearings and hexes straight from the B4.2 car.

Smarter guys than me can guide you on using 25 or 30 degree carriers..I get mixed up which B4 one does what on the RC10.

Out back: Go to shapeways and search NIX (Niki on here). He has rear carriers that use the B44 series rear CVAs with stock rear arms. Then drop on the SC10 series rear fat hexes and mount up your hex rear wheels.

Optionally on the rear, NIX on shapeways has a full arm set that will use B4 series rear CVAs with stock RC10 carriers (search 'wide' arms). That is another option.

FYI: be careful on the shapeways NIX page...you'll buy a lot, his stuff is awesome and very addictive :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

twisted
Approved Member

Post by twisted »

thanks for the reply. i wonder if it would be just easier to use the jconept wheels, thats if they are still in production. either way i need the new style cvd's right?

also is it the b5m battery cradle that some use or the b5?

thanks for the help!

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

It depends if you specifically want to use B5 wheels, or whether any modern wheel that would let you use modern tyres.

To fit original B4 wheels to the RC10, Associated sell front and rear conversion kits and CVDs to do the job.
Front axle conversion
Rear axle conversion
CVA for conversion

twisted
Approved Member

Post by twisted »

terry.sc wrote:It depends if you specifically want to use B5 wheels, or whether any modern wheel that would let you use modern tyres.

To fit original B4 wheels to the RC10, Associated sell front and rear conversion kits and CVDs to do the job.
Front axle conversion
Rear axle conversion
CVA for conversion
i just want to run modern wheels for 2.2 tires. i bought a car today that has the wheels from the uk that are 2.2 but i want the ones that uses hex.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Twisted, the method I posed above is the most common one. There may be other ways as well, but that is tried and true.

FYI, the rear 'kit' from associated only allows you to use the re-re worlds rear rim (which is 2.2) not the B4 wheel. Associated finally updated their site as well, it no longer says B4 wheels :)
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

twisted
Approved Member

Post by twisted »

JK Racing wrote:Twisted, the method I posed above is the most common one. There may be other ways as well, but that is tried and true.

FYI, the rear 'kit' from associated only allows you to use the re-re worlds rear rim (which is 2.2) not the B4 wheel. Associated finally updated their site as well, it no longer says B4 wheels :)
ah thanks for the info!

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Joey, I thought that the front needed more to be the proper width than just using the B4.2 carriers and knuckle assembly. I thought that setup makes the car technically too wide.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I'm working on a car now, just need to drill my carriers. I'll measure it out and see.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Just ran across this thread from a Google search not relating to it... But 25 degree B4.2 castor blocks would give you 30 degrees of castor on a rc10... If you used 30 degree B4.2 castor blocks, that would be 35 degrees on a rc10... Just remember 25 or less. You don't want anything higher. 20 degrees would be what I typically ran. (Gave me 25* castor overall) If you want to make up the width, you need truck axles with short course hexes.

Hope this helps if you haven't already figured it out. :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback