Rebuilding the 6 gear transmission.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Rebuilding the 6 gear transmission.

Post by jwscab »

uhhh.....did you grind out where the felt washers and retainers fit? If not, you don't need a new case. the outdrive bearings are 3/8 x 5/8, and fit where the felt washer and retainer would go, but they are no longer needed. if you didn't mess with that area on the outside, you are fine. it's hard to tell from your pictures your complete modifications, you only show the inside of the cases.

if you opened up the hole where the outdrive goes through, then you've already done the proper modifications.

when you do this mod properly, the outdrive can slide back and forth in the transmission housing, on the inside, the bearing race makes contact with the center shaft, on the outside, the brass washer contacts the outdrive bearing, which is held in place 2 ways. on the motor mount side, the mount keeps the bearing in place. on the other side, the small screw you add keeps the bearing from falling out.

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

I didn't enlarge the outside on the larger 5/8 section. I did enlarge the inner 3/8 section of the outdrive hole so the outdrive wouldn't make any side contact with the case where the outdrive goes through. Whewn you look through the case from the inside, you can see the outdrive bearing seal on the 3/8x5/8 outdrive bearing that replaced the felt. I'm under the impression that the brass tube has to be snug where it goes through the hole which would be the 3/8 hole that has to be enlarged. I just enlarged it too much I think.

I received 2 ABEC 7 bearings from Boca Bearing today. You can really feel the difference as to how smooth they turn compared to the others. Are they worth $20 per bearing? I don't know. I bought them for the diff shaft figuing that is the part that spins the fastest.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nope, you are fine the way you did it. the brass tube will contact the outdrive bearing inner race, so you are supposed to open the diff case hole anyway so it doesn't rub.

are you still having trouble figuring out how it all goes together? I'll draw you a picture if you'd like.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

ok, hopefully this won't confuse you more, and will clarify. if not, I apologize, and you may slowly back away from the the drawing and forget it ever existed. this is a projected side view, so things inside the outdrive are 'visible'.
Attachments
outdrive detail.JPG

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

Are you kidding me? The drawing is excellent!! If the hole I made isn't too large then that would tell me that the brass tube would have to make contact with the outdrive bearing AND the outdrive gear or the tube would just slop around the hole. So does the tube make contact with both AND the tube would rotate with the outdrive? Is that correct?

You need to add your drawing to that link. I wish the article was more clear. Nowhere in that article do I see the tube. Seeing the size and the diameter would help give an idea what has to be done.

I just realized you're just across the Del River. We use to live near Willow Grove in the late 50s to early 60s.

Butch

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, the brass tube contacts the bearing and gear at the same time, and rotates as part of the assembly. I think you got it now! the tube can't come in contact with the gear case or it will drag. the drawing shows distance between the case and tube.

So you are in Jerz? I'm from there originally, hamilton twnshp area, I'm there alot too.....

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

Yep, I got it now!! Took me long enough!!

I went to elementary school in a place called Cornwells Heights and my sister graduated from Bensalem HS. In the early 60s we moved across the river to Burlington County. I'm outside Sea Isle City now.

Now I gotta get to Hobbies R Us and get some supplies!!

Thanks.

Butch

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

sweet thread-- thanks guys!
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10 RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 OIN RC12l

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

I'm in the process of putting the 6 gear back together. I can get 16 seconds of free spin by spinning the outdrives on the axle of the center spline plate!! I have two bearings in the outdrive. I tried spinning the outdrive with just the one flanged bearing and the outer race of the inner bearing as a filler. The outdrive spun much better with the two bearings installed.

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

Well here it is 6 years later and that 6 gear tranny is in my RC10 restore. I filed everything down to where everything was smooth. No binding or anything close. It is smooth!

harvey
Approved Member

Post by harvey »

Yea, but how long does it spin for???

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

It won't spin no 16 seconds. But the outdrives alone without the gearing wouldn't spin 16 seconds either.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The spur gear acts as a flywheel and will help it to spin longer. 16 seconds would be a stretch even for a modern gearbox.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

FordPSD
Approved Member

Post by FordPSD »

I just ordered ABEC 7 bearings from Boca Bearing. I have quite a few transmission parts so I'm going to build a new transmission with those new bearings. We'll see how it will spin then! I'll give an update in about 10 days. I'll display it with my restored RC10.

Thumper26

Post by Thumper26 »

Does anyone know of a link to a video regarding dismantling a 6-gear transmission? I can't seem to find one on YouTube and am having trouble visualizing how to take my tranny apart to rebuild it. HELP!!!