Peak Performance...How high is it and how do we get there???

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

VINTAGE10

Peak Performance...How high is it and how do we get there???

Post by VINTAGE10 »

In real world terms, what exactly is the best we can get out of these cars we love so much? How much can a speed-thirsty throttle jockey expect to milk out of these 20 year old trannies? What's the setup that got your RC10 moving like it never dreamed it could? What's the setup that went too far and wound up breaking stuff...and what broke? I want hard numbers...motors, ESCs, batteries, trannies, gearing, speeds, run times, etc.. I would just like to get some realistic idea of how far the envelope can be pushed...to find where the threshold of detonation is, and to stop just before hitting it. I am compiling parts to put another project together, and I want to make this one stupid ballistic! Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated... :shock:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Peak Performance...How high is it and how do we get there???

Post by Charlie don't surf »

In what application are you speaking of? Drag, off road, bashing, dirtoval?

and the only thing that can change in nylon in 20 years is the color--, parts is parts

VINTAGE10

Post by VINTAGE10 »

I'm talking about a mixed bag, but mainly: (1)wide open beach bashing with a couple heavily modded Slashes and SC10s, (2)terrorizing of parking lots, baseball fields, and golf courses along with the same Slash/SC10 competition, and (3)some free time on a very large, very smooth, well-groomed offroad track. We typically like to go really fast until something snaps, fix it, and go really fast again..., but isn't that pretty much life. So what is the setup that will make my super modded beach buggy a rocket? I have three trannies I can work with...a 6 gear, a stealth, and a MIP stealth. Recommendations.........???

VINTAGE10

Post by VINTAGE10 »

Wow, 66 views and only one response from someone other than myself. I was hoping for a little more guidance than that. I hope I didn't offend any purists on here with my quest for speed. Let me make this clear...I am not hacking up my mint A-stamp Edinger car to make this missile. I have a couple of 1-piece chassis that I machined out of .125" thick 6-series aluminum. The entire car is being built up with new parts that were all gathered in recent years. In fact, the only things that will technically qualify it as an RC10 are the tranny and the vintage body/wing. I am thinking about the Novak Ballistic Brushless System...it has a Ballistic 8.5turn/5000kv motor and a Havoc 3S ESC. Any opinions on this choice? How about which tranny to pair it with? What about how to gear it? Come on guys, I need some help here. I can't consult my LHS, because those guys are lame! Every time I attempt to speak about anything vintage RC10, I get nothing...the room gets quiet and the subject gets changed. Weirdos!!!...The young guys don't know and the old guys don't care. How could you not know?! How could you not care?! This is The Car That Changed The World we're talking about here! Show some respect! I'll stop ranting now, but I'm serious, this shop is like a strange unfriendly land where they ain't got no time for our kind. They would, however, be more than happy to sell you the latest Revo or the crawler of the month. So here I am, fishing for wisdom, in a pond that I know is very well stocked. How about it...any nibbles?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

there's probably only 1 or 2 guys on this forum that have messed around building an rc10 land missles. vintage ae is one of them i believe. look around for his buildup in the rc10 buggy or truck forum.

i have no insight to offer since i don't own any brushless or lipo stuff, and don't know all that much about them.

just build something and see how it works. if you break it, fix it, and try it again. :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

both trannys will take anything over a 4.5, run it to temp, ie-run for 1min with a base gear, temp (no more than 170) run another min, recheck etc until you are under 170 when you pack dumps, and adjust your gear/timing/throttle % etc accordingly

Obsessed

Post by Obsessed »

I am super interested to see what happens in this string. It's my boys that got me back into this, and even though my own interests in building have somewhat gone rampant, their interests in driving can't take a back seat. Being 8 and 10, they are not very nostalgic about vintage RC10. They want speed. And i want durability so the cars arent getting busted up too much. And it all has to be wrapped in an RC10 package, because that's what I love to work on! It is what it is. :wink:

Actually, for nostalgia sake, I will eventually pick up a Blackfoot, AYK Viper, and Boomerang, and maybe a Frog. I haven't discussed any of this with my wife.... :shock:

I don't think any of my builds will ever be shelf queen material because I just love to see 'em go fast! :twisted: We have an acre, and I live on a culdesac, and I love tearin it up in the street with my boys.

So someone please post, I can't wait to see what is offered up. I am hoping to see some good NON-lippo suggestions. Of course there was no lipp when I was a kid, but with all the reading I have done lately it just seems to volatile and complex with my boys. I need a simple battery that can take a beating without exploding and catching on fire, not to mention something my kids can put on a charger without burning my house down! :lol:

VINTAGE10

Post by VINTAGE10 »

Obessed, thats weird...When I was a kid, my RC10 was one of three cars I had in my stable, along side my Blackfoot and my Frog! I suppose great minds do think alike :wink: I am super excited about this build too...I can't wait to head back down to the beach, and see that old school 70's-style-dune-buggy-lookin body take low flight, under some fresh modern power and components! If you've never had the chance do drive a fast RC vehicle on the beach, and you get the chance, take it. It is such an indescribable blast...I can't tell you how much fun it is to see that rooster tail flying, to carve turns, and skirt the edge of danger where the water laps up on the sand! By far my favorite place to drive RC. One note...if you go beach blasting, be prepared to tear down and rebuild EVERYTHING after every few days of running at the most. And trust me on this one please, I mean EVERYTHING! The sand knows no boundaries!...especially this super fine sand where I run most of the time. Call me crazy, but you will even find it, mostly ground to a fine powder, inside your sealed diff.........the sand defies logic, but its so much fun! :idea: ROAR Off-road Beach Nationals anyone? Sign me up! They would have to broadcast a spectacle like that on network TV!
scr8p & Charlie, thank you for the suggestions. At this point, I am still leaning toward the Novak Ballistic system...I don't think I need to be any more speed-greedy than that right now. 55,000 RPM should do it, until we iron out the gearing kinks and get it dialed. Once again, if anyone has any other specific ESC/motor/tranny/gearing suggestions please throw them at me...Knowledge Is Power!

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

ok, i guess I can add to this one :D

I have gotten mine to go 70+km/hr, + is because I have to turn around and come back. I have the Mamba Max 5700 combo dialed down as well to prevent my front wheels from coming off the ground and to spare the transmission gears.

Recently I have ordered some alloy gears, added weights to the front end, and got a better wheelie bar (lol), therefore I should be able to program the acceleration curve to linear at least. I'm hoping to tape the GPS back on it and get 85 or 90km/hr out of it.

For extra support I have in the mail a composite craft top deck, and am thinking about getting some alloy GT parts such as the front bulkhead and rear arm mounts. I have used thread lock on just about every screw now.

If you go through my post on my RC10T buggy thingy you will notice that you need to do a lot of reinforcing for bashing...especially if you jump it off the end of and over the rails of those skate boarding ramps the people stand on with the railings

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

a 6 gear, a stealth, and a MIP stealth. Recommendations.........???
i dont know much about brushless or lipo but for a 6 gear, a stealth, and a MIP stealth. i recommend a 19turn pro motor like a http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXMDY8&P=8 and a good 6 cell nimh bat... this sets up the old rc10s quick with good run time and you dont have to worry about a crazy high speed crash breaking a part you cant buy any more.. save crazy brushless lipo stuff for a b4,or t4