aussie DIRT & TRACK magazine's

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

caesar
Approved Member

Re: aussie DIRT & TRACK magazine's

Post by caesar »

It was a 4 hour round trip to pickup but worth it. I got a couple of doubles, what numbers do you need Alex?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

caesar wrote:It was a 4 hour round trip to pickup but worth it. I got a couple of doubles, what numbers do you need Alex?
Mate,

My list is as follows:

33 - 36, 43, 46, 47, 54, 55, and the stillborn issue 63. All except 63 were in that lot, weren't they... :cry: :oops: :mrgreen:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

caesar
Approved Member

Post by caesar »

Haven't got any of those, just 52 an 62.

Yeah the set was complete from 28 to 62

Cheers
Rob

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Good onya for getting those Rob. Too bad for me it was pickup only. Just a quick 16 hour round trip to Ballarat from here. :mrgreen:

Alex, was issue 63 only ever a bunch of notes and pictures, or was it printed and finished with a cover? I take it that it never saw the newsagencies. It'd be pretty cool to nab it.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

1300GT wrote:Alex, was issue 63 only ever a bunch of notes and pictures, or was it printed and finished with a cover? I take it that it never saw the newsagencies. It'd be pretty cool to nab it.
Apparently, from my discussions about it with Tony Gray, editor at the end, the magazine was finished, but never went to press. Not sure if it still exists in any form... I'll have a word with him next time I see him.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Ok. Thanks for the info Alex.

What are your thoughts on the magazine as a whole? Being honest I felt it had become a pale shadow of it's former self. The earlier issues were chock full of great info and reviews. From what I remember, by issue 59 it was mainly reviews without much, if any technical information. I guess that's why I sold my entire (minus the last three issues) set to Mr Chang. Looking back now I think I should have kept them. But at least they're safe with "Willy".

I'm not knocking any of the editors or writers here either. Keeping a magazine running must be a hell of a job and without people writing new and interesting articles the end result is obvious. Just wondering what your, or any other's thoughts are?
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

1300GT wrote:Ok. Thanks for the info Alex.

What are your thoughts on the magazine as a whole? Being honest I felt it had become a pale shadow of it's former self. The earlier issues were chock full of great info and reviews. From what I remember, by issue 59 it was mainly reviews without much, if any technical information. I guess that's why I sold my entire (minus the last three issues) set to Mr Chang. Looking back now I think I should have kept them. But at least they're safe with "Willy".

I'm not knocking any of the editors or writers here either. Keeping a magazine running must be a hell of a job and without people writing new and interesting articles the end result is obvious. Just wondering what your, or any other's thoughts are?
From speaking with Tony about it, I think he said at the time they were only reviewing cars that were provided by manufacturers, and that's why there's mostly GV, Smartech, and the like - the RTR market. They couldn't afford to get the cars for the magazine, as by that stage there wasn't much money in it at all, and I don't think the importers of Tamiya or Kyosho were that quick to provide review cars (In my opinion, this pretty much followed through to Racing Lines a few years ago, when all they seemed to review - and give glowing reviews for - was Smartech cars).

Getting the last two editions I have out of the bookshelf shows this pretty clearly in the cars reviewed:
- Duratrax x1
- Traxxas x1
- GV x3
- Colt x3
- a toy-grade tank
- Smartech x2
- Yokomo x1

Note: The only strange one in that list was the Yokomo MR4-TC Mini, but that would have been paid for personally rather than supplied.

True, there are still good articles in the two issues, including more of Tony's excellent lexan painting artistry, preparation of carbon fibre, how to make your own foam bumpers, and even the first of a series on collecting Tamiyas (not bad for 2003), but the writing was certainly on the wall when you see that in issue 62 there was only 11 different advertisers (hobby shops, manufacturers, importers, etc.), and one of those was advertising subscriptions in the magazine!!!

Just some of my thoughts.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

caesar
Approved Member

Post by caesar »

These have popped up on the bay for a second time, would love them but I think they are priced way to high

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261830464126?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

caesar wrote:These have popped up on the bay for a second time, would love them but I think they are priced way to high

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261830464126?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Wow, $250!!!! What a mighty price!! Luckily for me I have all of those, hey.... :wink: :lol: 8)

Alex
Osiris is the key.

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

i'd bite for half that price, but otherwise :/
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

proffesso wrote:i'd bite for half that price, but otherwise :/
Hmmmmm........
Osiris is the key.

caesar
Approved Member

Post by caesar »

I just bought that set of 1 to 25 from ebay, They were re listed multiple times and it finally got to a price that I could almost justify, so I pulled the trigger. All I need now to complete the set is 26 and 27

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

caesar wrote:I just bought that set of 1 to 25 from ebay, They were re listed multiple times and it finally got to a price that I could almost justify, so I pulled the trigger. All I need now to complete the set is 26 and 27
Hmmm... do I break up my near complete set to make a quick buck?????

If you get a chance mate, can you PM me what the 1-25 collection went for?

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

I gave serious thought to helping you out with these....
P1180398.JPG
...but Number 26 has the review of the Daytona, and Number 27 the Club10, so I might just have to keep them.... sorry mate!

I did see this absolute bargain ad. in Number 26, though....
P1180400.JPG
Soooooo happy things have changed! Only $3.75 for a Tamiya 1150..... at that cost, it takes $90 to ballrace a TL01!!!! :shock:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Incredible_Serious wrote:at that cost, it takes $90 to ballrace a TL01!!!! :shock:
That explains why my Thundershot never had ball bearings and why I never won a race with it... Well, that and the fact that I have the concentration of a poorly trained circus monkey... :?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken