FARMERS RCX EXPO EXPERIENCE SUNDAY THE NEWS,PICS AND MORE

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

farmer
Approved Member

FARMERS RCX EXPO EXPERIENCE SUNDAY THE NEWS,PICS AND MORE

Post by farmer »

Well here we are on Sunday of Farmers RCX experience
So before I get started, let me recap yes as stated on my other post Lett just told me about a RC10 remake ,so without any further adue let me tell you what he said. When he said remake I looked him straight in the face and said no way you kidding, he said nope, I said I thought all the molds and tooling were gone and he said nope. We have over half of the original tooling and that they were going through them to find out what was still cost effective and useable compared to today’s technology, with CNC machines and injection molding and what not! and explained that the old parts where machined and hand trimmed and finished and were clunky and didn’t fit the best and that they are trying to get that same type of fill for the kit and parts, with the modern day fabrication process, like square sanded corners, rough shock towers etc, etc than he said that they were also working on a way that every new part would have a irreversible marking that would make it unique to the reissue kit. What did I just hear did I really just hear this rite from Mr. VP Cliff Letts mouth, yes I did! And all I could say was no way! He just looked at me and gave me the facial expression of that’s rite. Than he said looking at me real serious said! But as far as you know its all just a rumor. So take it as you will that’s what was said to me on Saturday night at the RCX expo standing rite square in the associated booth

Well if any of you are still able to sit in your chair and read after this news. Well it just keeps getting better at least on my end with this Sunday RCX experience
Sunday I get to the show and I wanted to show my wife and daughter the vintage cars so we go straight over to the booth I had been there no more than 2 min and was explaining to my daughter what the mip 4wd was! when the guy running the booth who I talked to on Saturday touched my shoulder and said you are in luck guess who is here ,I turned around and who was there MR Gene Husting himself ,I had missed him on Saturday got there late, but fortunately for me he was there to take some pics of the old cars on display, but he forgot to put film in his camera, and he had to come back on Sunday to get the pics of the cars lol this is true, And it just so happened that I had brought my only mint goldpan chassis with hope that there would be some pro drivers that I could get some autographs from. So who better to deflower my mint pan no better than Mr Husting himself with sharpie in hand I asked for him to sign my chassis. And with shaky hands and a smile he obliged, I know that many of you may have meet him before but it was a first for me. And it was kind of bitter sweet
Watching a guy that had such a involvement with a little car that we all hold close to are heart and produced many of are childhood memories, was before me in the twilight of his life signing my chassis. Knowing that there is probably not going to be many more opportunities for people like you are me to meet this man and share a story are two of what these little cars mean to us. After shaking his hand and taking a picture with him I thanked him for his time and contribution to the hobby and watched him disappear into the crowed, It just made me think of all these people that were walking by this man and his wife, just a elderly couple walking at the RCX expo that didn’t know are possible didn’t care who this gentleman was walking amongst them. Maybe its just my age but that’s how I look at things. Hope to see him again some day.

As I was explaining to my wife and daughter who this guy was, I hear! You must be farmer? and low and behold fellow member JK RACING and his son were rite there, we acquainted are selves talked about some racing and how he had just missed Gene. We talked a lil about when he was going to make it up to Bakersfield to do some vintage racing. Was my pleasure to meet JK and his son great fellow member, And I had been here at the most only 45 mins so far. The expo was great lots of different cars, boats, planes, crawlers, tanks etc etc there was flying cars, there were lines for days of people standing in line to win a free key chain are a tee shirt, After a lunch with the wife and daughter I made one trip to the associated both to see if I could catch up with Ryan Cavalieri ,and I was in luck, Ryan was a kid the last time I had seen him in person , Jarred Tebow and Ryan use to try and ride there bikes on the R/C track after a race we use to have to kick them off all the time, Shared some race memories with him and talked about his ride with associated and the upcoming worlds, My daughters 14 year old friend who also was with us was quite charmed with Ryan it was pretty funny , young girls lol. All in all it was great expo more than I could have imagined meet people, seen things and heard great news that made this RCX expo experience one to remember
Thx Farmer
Attachments
rcx expo 081.JPG
rcx expo 083.JPG
rcx expo 084.JPG
rcx expo 086.JPG
rcx expo 087.JPG
rcx expo 088.JPG
rcx expo 089.JPG
rcx expo 091.JPG
rcx expo 094.JPG
rcx expo 095.JPG
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

farmer
Approved Member

Re: FARMERS RCX EXPO EXPERIENCE SUNDAY THE NEWS,PICS AND MOR

Post by farmer »

last ones guys enjoy
Attachments
rcx expo 079.JPG
rcx expo 076.JPG
rcx expo 080.JPG
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Very cool man! Both thread of pics are great. 8)

Oh, I hear the RC10 box stock purist clamoring at the idea of a re-re of the original 10... :mrgreen: Dang Tamiya!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Nice writeup, Farmer, and cool pics with legendary people too!

I think not too many people actually read your post, otherwise you'd have had more reactions esp. on the first paragraph :wink:

Good to put a face on a name, too!

Thanks for this :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Holy crap an RC10 remake?? Please let it be true....
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I hope the re-make lives up to the original RC-10.

I also wonder when we will be seeing a flood of original RC10's on the bay getting dumped prior to the re-makes introduction.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

the thing is, rere'ing an RC10 isn't really like remaking the Avante or the Hotshot... there are TONS of very nice RC10's available on the market today already, it's pretty much flooded already. No matter how much we'd all like to see "new is new" RC10's available, I'm not sure there'd be that much of a market given how many RC10's the people who love this car like we all do have already ;)

Paul

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

If it happens great! Also the reissue mold mark is a good idea as Hotwheels had a boom reissue market for 5 solid years with this process. I don't think it will affect genuine cars values too much though, a remake 32' Ford frame and body can cost 12-15k where a original one in rough shape can still fetch 25-30k, and if your in this for an investment your in the wrong market :lol: :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

As we all know, it sure isn't about financial attractiveness!!! :mrgreen:

Anyway, let's fuel the rumor mill a bit more with this (from a past RCX edition)

(fingers crossed...)
Paul

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I wonder how they will do it up? What I mean is, will it be available with the stealth and the latest hop ups for the last edition of the car? Or will it be original like a 6 gear but the chassis will be drilled to fit a stealth which is optional? Will be interesting to see for sure. I'd love to see one with something along the lines of the 'old is new' builds some other members have made here and full modern running gear, stealth tranny but have the original gold anodized chassis to make it properly 'vintage'. Add in 2.2" jelly bean style wheels and I think you'd really have something.

My guess is they would follow the Tamiya business model and issue a completely original kit.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i see this turning into the next mip 4x4 re-release thread. all 25 pages worth.

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Sign me up for the first serial number, RC-10 gold pan re-make. Where do I pre-pay?

Can someone also contact proline and see if they can remake some of the vintage RC-10 tires?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

It would be cool to see a reissue. However its only going to appeal to a small group of people.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, it would be nice to see re-issue stuff, I don't know you necessarily need a new kit. But it sure would be nice to see new white plastic parts, and gold pans available NIP that are easy to obtain(even though they already are, you still pay a premium). 6-gear, stealth, something else, who cares, it's all positive.

what would be REALLY cool, is for the B5 to 'look' old school with a gold anodized chassis and white parts. :mrgreen:

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

what a great experience Farmer. Thanks for sharing with us!