Project: LS1 Chevette

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22
Approved Member

Re: Project: LS1 Chevette

Post by romulus22 »

The guy tuning the car has HP tuners. The computer was throwing an operating systems code or something along those lines. After he did some researching he found out someone had done some tuning with EFI live and it has put a lock on the settings or something. Basically it's trying to run with no MAF sensor or 02 sensors right now.

I think that's what I've gathered what's going on. It's all mumbo jumbo to me. He has a truck ECU he is going to set up for my car. Then he's going to do something to mine so I can sell it and recoup my money.

It has a stock cam, and I've deleted the EGR. All the evap stuff is deleted too just hasn't been pulled from the intake yet. But you are correct. I did have some open vacuum lines at the moment. Plugged them with my fingers and the car still only idles for a short bit. Once the ECU thing is fixed I'll go through and cap all the vaccum ports up. Thanks for reminding me

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

I have seen these scanners before, that display engine parameters on your smartphone,

This one does Apple, Android and Windows phones.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Wifi-ELM327-OBD-II-Car-OBD2-Scanner-Diagnostic-Support-Android-IOS-/282247215503?hash=item41b73eb98f:g:uBIAAOSwKOJYIAly

This one for Android.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-WiFi-V2-1-Car-Diagnostic-Wireless-Scanner-Tool-For-Android-New-/152257666475?hash=item2373439dab:g:iOQAAOSwXSJXOYkn

This one is more expensive, and is Bluetooth, it powers down to stop battery drain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00H9S71LW&linkCode=as2&tag=thegeaobscha-20&linkId=T7TYWQTJ2KXSB4KQ

Here is a 7 inch tablet with WiFi and Bluetooth to use as a dash,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172352245935?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=471174697613&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wow, check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLbEzEHscOI
[youtube]LLbEzEHscOI[/youtube]

I see he has gauges for Coolant Temp and Revs, I wonder if you can do Speed as well?

This one has Speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMYZNal9Wpk&spfreload=5
[youtube]GMYZNal9Wpk&spfreload=5[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRl3m2UmkM4
[youtube]NRl3m2UmkM4[/youtube]
Does anyone have any experience with them?

:)

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

I tried this app on my Android Phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrchops.android.digihud&hl=en

While I couldn't get it to do a Heads Up Display, my phone is not bright enough,

I was able to use the phone just like a dash board for Speed.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Hey Dave thanks for those links, I had never seen such a product before. Only thing I don't like is it isn't a live connection. I still don't know what route I'm going with yet. Starting to lean back towards traditional gauges since my cluster is already shaped to hold round gauges. I'll just deal with no speedo.

Back to some progress. I've finished putting in the last two relays and fixed my steering. Having never modified a cars steering before I had no clue how much lowering the steering rack would affect the bump steering. I didn't try measuring it but I would have called it undrivable..... The bump steer is pretty un noticeable now while bouncing the nose. Just need to give it a final alignment and call it done.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Todd/Romulus22,

Neither had I until I started researching it,

if your car needs to be inspected, I would say you need a speedo.

It is best to ask questions first and get it right the first time.

Saves having to take it back for a second inspection.

What is the law like where you are?

In Adelaide they are tough!

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

I run a bluetooth OBD2 adapter similar to the ELM327 you pictured. I just leave it plugged in all the time, and it's got a list of stats as long as my arm that I can choose from, that update constantly while I drive. It's pretty neat. Plus, of course, it will list any engine codes your car throws at you, and you can turn off the check engine light from the app also.
Good stuff.

I can post some screen shots of different things on there if you'd like.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

R Cane wrote:I run a bluetooth OBD2 adapter similar to the ELM327 you pictured. I just leave it plugged in all the time, and it's got a list of stats as long as my arm that I can choose from, that update constantly while I drive. It's pretty neat. Plus, of course, it will list any engine codes your car throws at you, and you can turn off the check engine light from the app also.
I use one of those too, for my Pontiac Torrent. With Torque Lite, it can view and clear codes and shows a pretty good variety of data info from the car. I bought the Pro version because it lets you log data, and monitors even more readings. I also use it to read trouble codes for my parents' vehicles, when needed. But I read that it might not be a good idea to leave it plugged in all the time, as it consumes a bit of electricity and could potentially drain your battery if the car is parked long enough, and because it's always broadcasting via Bluetooth, it's a potential security hole. Bluetooth can and has been hacked into.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Guys,

RCane, I am interested in seeing some screen shots.

Are you using the app on your smart phone?

The first 2 are WiFi, so you would set a Local Area Network with a

user name and password, and that would be more secure?

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Thanks for the offer R Cane, I'm pretty confident I'll be going traditional gauges. But feel free to post pictures for others who may be interested. Heck it still peaks my interest even though I probably won't go that route. I hate technology as much as wiring. I haven't owned a computer in probably 7-8 years. I just use my phone for the Internet, call, and occasional text.

And here's another video. Bought some vacuum plugs, wired in the MAF sensor, still needs some computer tuning work but at least it runs now.

Time to fry the tires :lol:

[youtube]BQXrNh8aW7k[/youtube]

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I was hoping for a bit of this......

[youtube]CfFTOUfhOu8[/youtube]
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

RC10th wrote:I was hoping for a bit of this......
I stuck a stock wheel on and will need a 1" spacer minimum to clear the wheel tubs. Going to mount those so I can do a nice smokey burnout without destroying my expensive brand new tires.

Car is running and driving great now. Just cleaning things up at the moment like wiring and small details. Hopefully last piece I need to make is some adjustable heim joint end rear control arms. Parts are on order. Sitting stationary the car spins the tires smooth. If I'm rolling and I get into it and it starts spinning I get some wheel hop. Thinking that eliminating the soft rubber bushings and some stiffer shocks should eliminate all wheel hop.

Another side note is the car is super smooth even with the solid engine and trans mounts. If I had a big lumpy cam it may be a different story but stock engine it feels like any normal car.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Good to hear it runs and drives good, looking forward to some videos. Are you going to work the LS1 a bit or just leave it stock?

Hows the acceleration feel?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

I think E ventually it will get an overhaul. Good heads, cam, intake, throttle body. I'm going to make some passes at the track next season to get a good starting point and evaluate how far I want to take it versus how much I want to spend.

Right now if I roll into it, it pulls very hard. It's shocked a couple friends so far. I'm still hopeful I'll get an 11.5 or better out of it. I think after I get my wheel hop taken care of and mount the slicks on a prepped track it's a pretty reasonable goal. If you do the HP/LB on a quarter mile calculator an 11.5 is playing it very safe. So we'll see in time.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

8)

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Remember that wheel hop I was talking about. This time is did it bad. Nearly ripped the suspension out from under the car.

Here's the passenger control arm mount.

And what the rear control arm is supposed to look like.

It's not supposed to look like this

Went ahead and cut out some of the passenger side floor of the affected area. The drivers floor stayed intact due to all the metal work I did for my seat and new floor. I'm still going to redesign the control arm mounts on both sides. Just going to copy the passenger side over. Just need to wait on my heim joints to see if this 2"x3" tubing I have will work or not.