Monster Truck for Kiddo

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Re: Monster Truck for Kiddo

Post by Timmahhh »

I ended up getting an Axial SMT10 to drive around with my 2 yr old daughter, and I love it. It is very slow, but that is actually a good thing for me since its less likely to hurt her from going too fast when she tries to catch it, and its easier to teach her on (so far she just steers)... For a little bit older of a kid, that would still be fun, but being in the clod price range might mean getting just the one, and eventually it may seem slow.

I can't recommend traxxas, because I can never recommend traxxas...

Have you considered one of the soon to be released Kyosho Rampages? They should have named it something else probably, but that would be a really fun truck to play around in the yard, and I think its only a little over $200 RTR. I also think a pumpkin and lunchbox would be cool too since they are kits, and fun to drive.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Wow, great feedback in short time! That's why this is the best RC forum on the "interwebs"! :)

I think I'm leaning toward one 'Pede and one 'Foot.

I've never owned a Pede... what are the common parts that I should have on hand to keep us rockin' on Xmas day if something breaks?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

A gear set isn’t the worst thing to have on hand. Front end caster blocks and steering blocks, I’d upgrade as you go to the rpm stuff. The trucks are really quite tough.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Perfect. Thanks!

Does anyone know of any online distributors that stock Tamiya parts trees? I don't see anything at Tower, Amain, or Horizon... only kits. Do parts all have to be sourced through TamiyaUSA these days?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

ive ordered from them and they werent bad, I havent seen them elsewhere
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I had this discussion with a guy just the other day. A stampede is what I recommended for his 8 y.o. As mentioned here many times, Relatively inexpensive, durable as anything I've ever seen and cheap and easy to work on when you do eventually break one. Upgrade to lipo? The esc is compatible. Upgrade later to brushless? The transmission can handle it. Not to mention, they are FUN to drive and very forgiving. That said, I had endless hours of fun with my Lunchbox as a kid. Many, many moons ago... :lol:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

For a 25 year old platform they just plain work. I know it’s not something Traxxas would do, but if they offered it as a kit- I’d say hands down it’s the best basher period. Unfortunately you loose the building part, but it’s still a solid and fun truck. Tamiya can’t touch it for speed, handling, and parts support. Tamiya are fun but they aren’t in the same class
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I agree 100%. I've been looking at the new Vaterra chevy crawler and I was very disappointed that it now comes only as a rtr. Building the truck from a kit is half the fun. That being said, I wasn't into building rc's until my early teen years, so for a kid under 10, a rtr might be a good choice.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I say: get 2 sawback gmade kits and slap monstertruck tires on them. 4x4 good looks cheap and strong

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Gmade has some awesome-looking scale crawlers, but they're a little spendy and above Kiddo's initial skill level. Maybe in a few years...

We've decided to get him a 2wd Pede to get him started.

I'm still trying to decide what to get myself to bash with him. The kid in me still screams Clod, but I'm also tempted to convert an Axial Deadbolt to a monster truck. I think I'll hold off on both for a while to keep cost down a little.

I'm still toying with just getting a Blackfoot to cruise with his Pede, or just getting two Pedes to avoid having to stock parts for two different models.