The Track, Gaithersburg MD anyone?

Post about upcoming or past events.
AllenB.5979
Approved Member

The Track, Gaithersburg MD anyone?

Post by AllenB.5979 »

I'm just wondering if anyone on rc10talk is a patron of "The Track" on Oakmont in Gaithersburg, MD. I've been going there for many many years. Mimi the owner is just one of the best people I've ever met. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get over there for a few years. I will be back!

Here is a picture of myself as a kid standing on the first track they had back in like 93' or 94'.

Now Mimi has replaced the carpet with a clay off-road track that looks amazing. I know someone on here knows about this place.

Post a reply!
They asked me what I was thinking!? I simply told them... I wasn't. :roll:

howaboutme
Approved Member

Re: The Track, Gaithersburg MD anyone?

Post by howaboutme »

I visited the place for the first time about a month or so ago. I'm new to the hobby and to racing and wanted to take a look for myself. The place is pretty cool. I understand it has a great history and has survived father time. My impression is that it's pretty intimidating as the racing is pretty intense with a lot of experienced racers. There isn't enough people to get a sportsman class too often there so one just has to dive right in! I talked to some people there and all seem very nice and eager to help. Once I get my buggy completed, I'd love to do some turns in the early part of the day before all of the fast guys show up as to not embarrass myself... :D

I still need to visit Adrenaline...and then compare.
- Jack

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

howaboutme wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 pm I visited the place for the first time about a month or so ago. I'm new to the hobby and to racing and wanted to take a look for myself. The place is pretty cool. I understand it has a great history and has survived father time. My impression is that it's pretty intimidating as the racing is pretty intense with a lot of experienced racers. There isn't enough people to get a sportsman class too often there so one just has to dive right in! I talked to some people there and all seem very nice and eager to help. Once I get my buggy completed, I'd love to do some turns in the early part of the day before all of the fast guys show up as to not embarrass myself... :D

My experience has always been that the large majority of racers are good people and are willing to help. Just remember you have a right to learn just like they had to at one time. Don't be intimidated. Get out there and get the practice. In the event that you do come across a jerk that acts like you shouldn't be there I guarantee Mimi and her staff will have your back. Just remember being fast doesn't mean they own the place!
Question. Did you happen to notice if she had her 1/24th slot track up and running? I've been meaning to call her and ask but I haven't got around to it. I'm a heavy slot racer too. I haven't been there since she remodeled and I'm curious. It looked on the videos like it was pushed in the back. I hope not!

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

AllenB.5979 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 pm
howaboutme wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 pm I visited the place for the first time about a month or so ago. I'm new to the hobby and to racing and wanted to take a look for myself. The place is pretty cool. I understand it has a great history and has survived father time. My impression is that it's pretty intimidating as the racing is pretty intense with a lot of experienced racers. There isn't enough people to get a sportsman class too often there so one just has to dive right in! I talked to some people there and all seem very nice and eager to help. Once I get my buggy completed, I'd love to do some turns in the early part of the day before all of the fast guys show up as to not embarrass myself... :D

My experience has always been that the large majority of racers are good people and are willing to help. Just remember you have a right to learn just like they had to at one time. Don't be intimidated. Get out there and get the practice. In the event that you do come across a jerk that acts like you shouldn't be there I guarantee Mimi and her staff will have your back. Just remember being fast doesn't mean they own the place!
Question. Did you happen to notice if she had her 1/24th slot track up and running? I've been meaning to call her and ask but I haven't got around to it. I'm a heavy slot racer too. I haven't been there since she remodeled and I'm curious. It looked on the videos like it was pushed in the back. I hope not!
Yep, the slot car track is there...You should stop back in, a lot of big races going on there. Why the hiatus?
- Jack

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

howaboutme wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 pm
AllenB.5979 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Yep, the slot car track is there...You should stop back in, a lot of big races going on there. Why the hiatus?
I've moved around a lot. I'm somewhat back in the area. About 2 1/2 hours away out in Delaware. I'm used to making trips to race so that's no big deal but my collection has taken a bit of a hit over the last couple years. I'm taking time and money to put together some competitive stuff for my return. I will be back soon. :twisted:

Check out my build thread and gallery post if you like. I'm in for build of the month also. Check us out!

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41329

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=41323

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=41395

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Ah yes! I've seen your threads. I got it now. Yes, you have some very nice cars. I remember commenting on how nice your spread was for the picture. :D

As for the track, my understanding from talking to the folks there is that during the summer, the attendance drops. Apparently, everyone heads elsewhere, probably to outdoor tracks. I may use that as my learning time...

I see you have a touring car or two, check out 180 raceway in Baltimore. They do onroad carpet and are hosting a TCS race soon.
- Jack