Facebook users on 10talk

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Are you active on FB (r/c groups)?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:47 am

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 56

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Re: Facebook users on 10talk

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I'm up in here every morning either lurking or logged in. I'm on the dumper though. And I bet tons of us are surfing the forum on the dumper in the morning. Then I lurk in around lunch time, sometimes before. I should probably get fired and now probably will. I almost did up a Facebook account way back as Frank Stallone but I didn't hit the final button.

There is no way that Scr8p's (whatever he did to activate more of a 10Talk thing on FB) "desicion" cast doom on the forum. It's cyclical. Me, my RC stuff is so jackpiled and I've been up to my ear lobes at work, wife popped out a little girl (now 1.5 yrs old) looking to move across the state, possible "career" change.........I've got plenty of build ideas and parts and stuff. It's the time and space thing. You won't catch me over on FB and I'll prob be missing out on some pretty sweet sh!t, but that's who I am so there you go.

Getting the vintage vibe out there is good for the hobby and if FB helps recruit some enthusiasts, hey that's cool I guess.

The real blow I think came from the Photobucket ordeal. So many "legacy" builds pictureless......a shame. And it takes some real dedication and forum loyalty for folks to fix their picture links.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

romulus22 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:29 pm
My lack of posting isn't due to lack of interest in the site. I feel it's more of I don't have much to contribute. My knowledge is far limited to most about many of the models on here compared to many of you. I try to check out nearly every new thread as they are created. And I enjoy many of the builds and enjoy reading the post from your alls "family" you have built here. I don't want to be the guy that just says, "cool build" over and over. So I say it to myself quietly, and laugh at the odd funny conversations.
Well said! This is me as well. I probably have as many RC projects on the bench and in various stages of completion as anyone else, but my stuff isn't on the same level as most on here. Therefore I typically enjoy watching and reading and throwing a comment or two out from time to time. Sometimes I would like us to have a "like" button, just so the OC would know I really appreciate his work, but without having to clog up his thread with jargon. :D
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

A "like" button would be a nice feature to have (though I don't believe it's possible). I think people get a little dejected when they post updates of their builds and they don't really get any responses. I myself used to take the time post something, but anymore I find that I read the text and look at the pics then just move on. Something I got to work on.... just like leaving feedback. :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

for sure. I kinda cringe when I reply to a thread and i'm at a loss for some pertinent reply and I end up saying 'great build'. I would hate to have no feedback, so at least I try to reply to builds occasionally.

I also don't have the patience to take pics along the way usually so I get ahead of myself and don't take pics, then pretty much stop building halfway through when other crap comes up....

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 am I get ahead of myself and don't take pics, then pretty much stop building halfway through when other crap comes up....
Believe it or not, but taking pics actually HELPS complete a build and resist the urge to start a new project... because it keeps you remembering the amount of work you've put in a project already and that it'd be silly to drop - regardless of whether you make these pics public or not....

Although i certainly agree finishing projects requires much harder efforts than starting new ones... :roll:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

scr8p wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am A "like" button would be a nice feature to have (though I don't believe it's possible). I think people get a little dejected when they post updates of their builds and they don't really get any responses. I myself used to take the time post something, but anymore I find that I read the text and look at the pics then just move on. Something I got to work on.... just like leaving feedback. :lol:
Speaking of the "like" button (another reason I hate Facebook), here is an interesting read. I am not saying that it is a great read, but the author makes several very valid points.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/03/how-the-like-button-ruined-the-internet/519795/
Something clever goes here...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

ChisaiKuso wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:07 am
scr8p wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am A "like" button would be a nice feature to have (though I don't believe it's possible). I think people get a little dejected when they post updates of their builds and they don't really get any responses. I myself used to take the time post something, but anymore I find that I read the text and look at the pics then just move on. Something I got to work on.... just like leaving feedback. :lol:
Speaking of the "like" button (another reason I hate Facebook), here is an interesting read. I am not saying that it is a great read, but the author makes several very valid points.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/03/how-the-like-button-ruined-the-internet/519795/
That was an interesting read, and I have to agree with the author's opinion. "Likes" work well for the lowest common denominator. It's like pop music these days; what makes the most money, what's most profitable, what's "liked" the most is the watered-down stuff that appeals to the masses. Anything tending toward mainstream will usually get the most likes; anything really divergent is largely overlooked.

Not everyone is motivated by what appeals to the masses or how much their stuff is "liked"...I consider thread views to be my "Like" indicator...maybe that's old-school but I don't think we need a "Like" button.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Sadly society is like sheep, one following the other. Once you finally break out of that cycle and start actually thinking for yourself and having your own opinions it really opens your eyes to how backwards society is going.

Just because the media or mainstream tells you something is good doesn't mean that it is.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I'm not saying I'm a "hardcore like button" guy. Really don't even use it on FB, or other forums I belong too. But occasionally, someone will type something that I fully agree with and I'll click like if I have nothing further to add.

As I said earlier, I need to get back to commenting on build threads...... Like button or not.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:02 pm

I consider thread views to be my "Like" indicator...maybe that's old-school but I don't think we need a "Like" button.
Is that still visable to PC viewers? I always had the same thought. Although I always figured 50% of the views were from myself :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

romulus22 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:32 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:02 pm

I consider thread views to be my "Like" indicator...maybe that's old-school but I don't think we need a "Like" button.
Is that still visable to PC viewers? I always had the same thought. Although I always figured 50% of the views were from myself :lol:
Yes, you can sort topics in any particular section by clicking the "Sort" button at the bottom-left, below all the topics...sort by Views > Descending:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.4 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.4 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

I like the idea of the 10talk group on facebook. Whether or not everyone agrees, things in general are moving away from forums and towards social media... but!... rc10talk still provides a great value to the vintage rc community by having a searchable database of builds and info. To sustain or grow activity would mean working in conjunction with facebook etc (and finding some good photo hosting options). Im sure a lot more people browse this forum than post. It may be hard for some people to be more active in a place thats unfamiliar, so if activity is a goal, anything that would seem inviting to new members contributing would help.

As far as likes vs content and/or goofing off, everyone has their comfort zone. I personally tend to joke around a lot when it comes to rc, because its what i do for fun and i try not to take it too seriously. There are times where i feel like people go to far with joking, or are too serious, and im sure people have thought the same of me. Not every place has to be the same for seriousness though, and that gives people options

With that being said, i wish people could like this post, because i think its pretty good. Lol

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I wonder if we should make an RC10talk page on Facebook? We could post up one thing every day and link new members back to this forum? Just an idea for a bit of marketing! :idea:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

slotcarrod wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm I wonder if we should make an RC10talk page on Facebook? We could post up one thing every day and link new members back to this forum? Just an idea for a bit of marketing! :idea:
We've had a 10talk "page" up and running for like 2 years where we did just that. Orange (Sean Sanchez) and myself. We would highlight current builds, the build of the month winners, etc. He started doing it less, then I kinda got tired of being the only one doing it, so it kind of sits dormant.

What I activated the other week was a 10talk "group". It will be more user friendly for anyone. The goal is kind of the same, get thinks posted on there and linked back to here. Just got to get more guys willing to do it.