Facebook users on 10talk

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Are you active on FB (r/c groups)?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:47 am

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 56

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: Facebook users on 10talk

Post by mk-Zero »

Maybe we need a "what's this worth?" section :lol:

Sadly, it would probably help increase traffic, but I'm not sure it would be the "right kind" of traffic :roll:

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Might bring some of the BIN prices on eBay back to reality though.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I would just institute a rule that your "quote" is a bid. Don't go saying something is "worth" $2k when nobody in their right mind would pay that include the person quoting it. It would bring the pricing down to reality
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I was only half joking about the "what's it worth" section. For sure would increase traffic, and who knows, some of the ppl might even be so taken by our collective charm that they stick around :lol:
Some of us my get some good deals out of it too. We could just open the BST section up to newbs and have a topic for "appraisals."

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I was kidding too. Don't go getting people interested in this :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mk-Zero wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 amthe "right kind" of traffic :roll:
That right there was always a big thing with me years back. I never wanted to do to much promoting of the board for that fact. I didn't want this place turning into Rctech with 1,000 noobs and their Traxxas T-maxxes and slashes. If guys were signing up on here I hoped they found us because they were searching for vintage stuff. Was that kind of a dick move? Maybe. Would we be in a better place had we promoted the hell out of this place? I don't know..... it's tough to say.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I'll probably get boo hoo'd for the idea but why not combine clod talk and rc10 talk again and promote it as more of a vintage rc forum in general?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That would definitely increase traffic but probably wouldn't be in this places best interest. ClodTalk has turned into kind of a mess in my opinion over the years.

One thing that I think is a hindrance here is that people assume this is solely a vintage RC10 message board. That's what it started out as, and that's what it's still conveyed as even though it's all-encompassing to vintage R/C in general. I think we would benefit from a name change, and marketing ourselves as THEE place for vintage R/C on the net. RC10Talk.com would still bring you here of course as to not lose any established link traffic.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I agree on maybe rebranding it to vintage RC cars, there's a lot more going on here than just RC10's, might as well use that to our advantage.

And although probably not popular, I think it would be worth trying to open up the BST section and allowing people to ask what their crap is worth... if it doesn't go well then at least we know for sure and we can go back to how it is now.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

mk-Zero wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 am
And although probably not popular, I think it would be worth trying to open up the BST section and allowing people to ask what their crap is worth... if it doesn't go well then at least we know for sure and we can go back to how it is now.
I'd definitely be gone if it went that way. It's bad enough on Facebook with those questions and sketchy deals. Just my $.02
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:34 am
mk-Zero wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 am
I'd definitely be gone if it went that way. It's bad enough on Facebook with those questions and sketchy deals. Just my $.02
Not sure about "being gone", but I certainly agree with the sentiment of my SpeedRacer friend here.... opening up the BST section to those sorts of posts is not going to get people to stay on the forums..... all you'll (most likely) get is an influx of "how much is my XXXXXXX worth" posts, some zero feedback / post / history sales attempts, and no extra forum contributors. The 50 post rule is (in my opinion) great, as it means people have to go some way towards proving they're at least capable of appearing like they care for the board... now THAT'S a sentence!!!!

Not meaning to have a go at you, though, mk-zero..... :wink:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Opening up the BST? I see a whole lot of headaches with that. I think the closest I would come to that would be to maybe shorten the time and number of post requirements to gain access. Cut them in half or something..... but only for those with ebay accounts so we can see their feedback ratings. Not gonna let it turn into a free for all.

Merging Clodtalk and 10talk. I think we are way too spread out these days to try and go back to that. Before 10talk started, there was no buggy section or anything like that over there. It was just guys posting pictures and talking about their vintage buggies/trucks in the general forum (off-topic forum) from what I remember. And there were only maybe a dozen or so guys doing it at the time. It wasn't a deal where we had to be separated because those discussion got way too big and we needed to branch out. A couple guys asked Bill if he could set up a place just for us to discuss the vintage stuff. And one day POOF!..... there it was.

Changing the name. Years ago I thought the name no longer encompassed what we had going on here. Like back in '08 when the Non-rc10 forum was broken up into separate forums. But at the same time, I kinda think I would have a hard time changing it. I mean, you can probably Google any kind of vintage r/c thing and rc10talk would come up in your search. So would it really be necessary?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

scr8p wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:06 am Opening up the BST? I see a whole lot of headaches with that. I think the closest I would come to that would be to maybe shorten the time and number of post requirements to gain access. Cut them in half or something..... but only for those with ebay accounts so we can see their feedback ratings. Not gonna let it turn into a free for all.

Merging Clodtalk and 10talk. I think we are way too spread out these days to try and go back to that. Before 10talk started, there was no buggy section or anything like that over there. It was just guys posting pictures and talking about their vintage buggies/trucks in the general forum (off-topic forum) from what I remember. And there were only maybe a dozen or so guys doing it at the time. It wasn't a deal where we had to be separated because those discussion got way too big and we needed to branch out. A couple guys asked Bill if he could set up a place just for us to discuss the vintage stuff. And one day POOF!..... there it was.

Changing the name. Years ago I thought the name no longer encompassed what we had going on here. Like back in '08 when the Non-rc10 forum was broken up into separate forums. But at the same time, I kinda think I would have a hard time changing it. I mean, you can probably Google any kind of vintage r/c thing and rc10talk would come up in your search. So would it really be necessary?
Damn! Three from three! 125% agree!

Sure, changes *may* make things more popular..... but does popularity necessarily make things BETTER?

We don't need another general purpose rc site.... RCTech works well enough for that.

Love the place, wouldn't change a thing..... well, maybe us convicts can steal it a set of nice shiny wheels.... :wink:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The biggest question to ask is are we doing well enough to keep going as we are?

My recent poke around clod talk was actually filled with surprise as most sections only had one or two posts from this year, the rest were from 2016 and some as far back as 2013! In saying that there were quite a few posts that I would liked to have replied to and noticed a few RC10 and other various vintage posts.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Alright, fair enough guys on the BST thing, was just throwing it out there. 8)