Facebook users on 10talk

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Are you active on FB (r/c groups)?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:47 am

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 56

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Facebook users on 10talk

Post by Lowgear »

Is this the largest/oldest purely vintage R/C forum on the net? I've never looked but I image it is or definitely one of them. I just feel it would be more of a help than a hindrance if we marketed ourselves that way. We're kind of pigeon-holed with the current name and theme. Like mentioned, I'm sure it would help but wouldn't be the cure-all. That will take a number of changes put together to potentially increase activity.

In the world of forums, this free phpBB software is as archaic and basic as they come. If it were me I would change the name, and convert this board software to IPB. It appears as if TamiyaClub just did the latter of the two. It requires additional costs, and will be very time consuming but definitely worth it in the long run with the myriad of features, security, configuration, and benefits it supplies. It's basically just keeping up with modern times which is ironic in regards to the content here. :P

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Other than Tamiya Club, yes, I would have to believe we are the largest and oldest vintage based r/c forum out there.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I use Facebook almost daily. But I only use it for the Messenger portion and to visit Old School RC and view beach posts. 8) If there is a way to actually organize posts on FB, I haven't found it yet and that drives me crazy. I really don't like the chaos that is FB. But as others have said before me, society has shifted to a desire to instantly have everything all in one place, a one stop shop. Order and organization and patience to wait to get what you want is a thing of the past. That's the reason I really like 10talk: Its a group of dedicated members who seem to enjoy the effort of hard work and helping out. It also seems lately that vintage RC popularity is declining. I don't think many newbies are interested in restoring a vintage buggy nearly as much as buying a new (insert Brand name here) and bashing half an hour later. I'd like to see 10talk grow, but I don't want to loose any of the charm we currently have either.

To quote a wonderful movie: "Maybe this really is, as good as it gets." :(
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

matt1ptkn wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 am It also seems lately that vintage RC popularity is declining. I don't think many newbies are interested in restoring a vintage buggy nearly as much as buying a new (insert Brand name here) and bashing half an hour later. I'd like to see 10talk grow, but I don't want to loose any of the charm we currently have either.

To quote a wonderful movie: "Maybe this really is, as good as it gets." :(
I'm also a member of a vintage computing forum, and there we have a rather large influx of youngish people who want to build their own 'vintage' PC (think early 2000s to mid-2000s), while the word 'vintage' for other, older members means '1980s-1990s'. Sometimes the younger ones later get interested in the "ancient" "dinosaur" stuff. Of course you get a lot of relatively dumb questions such as "Why doesn't Windows 3.x support AGP cards or plug-and-play?" and "Why can't I use my iPod on a 286?"... :lol:

(Christ, I sound like some old 80-year old man sitting on a bench going "In my time..." :P )

Here it's similar, the older members like stuff from the late 1970s to the early 1990s, even though late 1990s cars are vintage by all means by now...

It also goes in waves, sometimes more popular (and more new members), sometimes less.

As for Facehugger, it seems more and more like the new AOhelL, therefore I'm not on it and its invasive alien weewees are mostly blocked in my browsers.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I just got approved for the new 10talk FB page! :mrgreen: It will be a bit of a learning curve to figure out who everyone is, since now I can see real faces and not just avatars. :idea:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I like the idea of leveraging social media as a showcase to drive new folks to this site. There are other vintage-related RC sites with several thousand members. There must be some potential new members in those groups and in other general RC groups as well.

Over the past few years, my son and I have become more involved with scale rock crawlers. Over at rccrawler.com, they have periodic vendor-sponsored giveaways and you have to be a supporting member (Minimum $20 yearly) to participate. As I understand it, it's very successful at bringing in new members and bumping existing members up to the supporting level. I know this isn't a new idea or anything, but it seems to work for them, so I thought I'd mention it. I mean, who doesn't like free stuff?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

matt1ptkn wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am It will be a bit of a learning curve to figure out who everyone is, since now I can see real faces and not just avatars. :idea:
This..... :oops:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

scr8p wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 pm Ok, for those of you on FB, the group is up and running. Feel free to sign up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577868832464163/?multi_permalinks=1907381959512847&notif_t=like&notif_id=1500936226380880
Why would you do this?!

This makes me so sad. You do not realize it yet (and it may take a few years before you fully see and comprehend it), but you just expedited and ensured a very slow, painful death for this forum. Things will not work out in the way that you are hoping. In fact, I will bet any RC car in my collection that the exact opposite of what you desire will occur. I have seen it happen with far too many other forums in recent years. The administrators of those forums thought that they could use Facebook to drive traffic to the forums. Instead Facebook wound up taking even more traffic from the forums. Now those forums are ghost towns, and chaotic, infantile posts fill the Facebook pages.

Very, very sad...
Something clever goes here...

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Yeah, someone started a FB group for our VW forum a few years ago, and so began the slow death of the forum itself... They had the same good intentions as here.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

ChisaiKuso wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 am
scr8p wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 pm Ok, for those of you on FB, the group is up and running. Feel free to sign up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577868832464163/?multi_permalinks=1907381959512847&notif_t=like&notif_id=1500936226380880
Why would you do this?!

This makes me so sad. You do not realize it yet (and it may take a few years before you fully see and comprehend it), but you just expedited and ensured a very slow, painful death for this forum. Things will not work out in the way that you are hoping.
I'm afraid I agree with the above... not sure this was the right thing to do at all for the forum... :shock: :shock: :shock:

... as well as for my own self too... I don't have a fb account anymore (closed it a couple of years ago as it was too chronophagiac, not sure if the word exists but I guess everyone can understand what I mean) and I certainly won't open one again anytime soon.

:cry:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

As someone that has been here since day one, this place is already on a downward decent. Has been for years. If you've only been a member here for a few years, maybe you are unable to see it. But Lonestar..... you should.

On a forum with over 5,000 registered members, 53 have answered this poll. About the average amount of votes in our monthly contest. Now, I haven't looked into it, but I'm curious...... if you were to take the total amount of posts per month on the site and then count up how many different members made them, I would bet it's nowhere near 53. Even in this thread, some said they don't really post much on here anymore but they vote in the contest every month. An then there are guys that enter the contest and I never see them log on again until the following month's contest.... or never.

I would also add that we have had an RC10Talk FB page for like 2 years now where everyday I would highlight someone's build and link the post back to here. Stuff like that. That page has 500 or 600 members on it. Almost no one use it to post their own stuff, or really commented on what I posted. They just click "like" (if they even do that), and go on with their day.

I have no idea how many new members we've received on the forum from of it. But I highly doubt we lost any because of it.

So my question is now..... for the ones that seem dejected by my actions, are you going to not come around or post less now because you don't like my decision?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Just add the word Traxxas somewhere... Problem solved

:lol:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Yeah, if I had showcased Slashes everyday that page would be jumping. :lol: