Tamiya obsession cools

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Saito
Approved Member

Tamiya obsession cools

Post by Saito »

I've been a diehard Tamiya fan since the early 80's and now in the past few years, I've found that brand-obsession cooling off so to speak. I still love the Tamiya kit building experience, the boxart, the personality of their older models but I've certainly gained respect for other makes now. I hated the RC10 as a kid. It got a lot of print in RC Car Action. I got tired of seeing article after article on it. RC10 truck conversion, Rc10 oval tracker, rC10 toaster oven conversion etc. etc. I was glad the JRX2 came out just to read about something different.

Then about 5 years ago, I got one. and another and another and another and yet another. While I still appreciate Tamiya's excellent build quality, the quality of materials and sheer superior design of the RC10 finally hit home. I've restored dozens and dozens of old Tamiyas and I hate old dried out ABS. Turns to dust upon disassembly. Not only are the RC10's nylon 6/6 parts tougher, but a quick boil in water revitalizes them. Now that I know more about design, manufacturing and materials, I really get how the RC10 is the greatest off road racer ever.

I built some Kyosho re-releases too. Now I dig that the re-res are better than the originals but the fore-thought in design alone is impressive. I never thought I'd branch out of my Tamiya cave but its actually happened. Although in retrospect, Tamiya, for a massive force in the hobby, did have great quality compared to many manufactures back then like Marui, Royal, etc. Anyone else find changing taste in their end of the hobby?

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya obsession cools

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Thanks for the inspiring words. The situation kinda reminded of a guy I knew who claimed the state he lived in was the best and he'd always live there. I asked if he'd ever left the state and he said no. So, I asked, if he'd never left the state to experience any of the other states, how could he know his was the best? I guess for a while I was that guy. I still like my "Tamiya" home state. I learned a lot of life lessons there. But now there are other "states" I like too, like Associated and Kyosho.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

We all know RC began and ended with the JRx2 :-)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You know it's good when the company namesake goes to work for Kyosho :lol: :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Well, we all have a price :lol: He was just ahead of the curve. Every dotcom company is started with the intent to sell it now. Proving again Gil was a genius, from 5 link to foreshadowing the future.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Cool post,love the simple yet effective way the rc10 is layed out makes working on them so much easier.. Tamiya is the boxart king.. Each brand have there place an time in every hobbyist life I think ,an we are all smart enough to see the good in every brand... Recently did a lunchbox an clod an I enjoyed the builds in a different way,though I was too impatient with the bodies an ended up doing both a couple of times :mrgreen: // Did a re re worlds after an used some vintage parts to make it more original an I was right back in the swing of ae simple yet effective design.. Got one of the tyrell F1 from tamiya coming so be back to tamiya again soon... :lol:

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Well put bully. I was always impressed with molding precision that Tamiya's had (not a suprise considering the quality of their plastic model kits). Its just now, I see that "engineering" ABS doesn't have near the strength or longevity that Nylon 6/6 or glass reinforced plastics do. I also see beauty and forethought that went into the RC10 on the design-level. Something as simple and smart as not molding the suspension arm pivots into the gearbox casing makes a big difference when it comes time to fix accident damage.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Interesting stuff. I remember when the DF01 buggies came out with those pliable two-piece arms. I thought that maybe Tamiya had begun to catch on to just how rock hard and brittle-feeling the Hot Shot cars' arms were. Of course I suppose they started making changes by using that blue nylon for the Thundershot series.

Associated stuff seemed rather tight at times, kind of, file-to-fit if you will. The end result was slop free arms if you put the time in. Did Tamiya ABS have built-in slop for ease of assembly or did the parts contract after cooling out of the mold?

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I have loved Tamiya kits ever since I saw the sand scorcher spitting dirt. I think we can all agree that their materials weren't always the best and a lot of their designs are over engineered. I think I like them just for their diversity. From a fast attack to the bruiser to a king hauler, there is just too much cool stuff. In recent years there hasn't been much that tickled my taint but there always seems to come up with something cool. A few years ago it was the RSR Porsche 911. Last year was the anniversary Porsche that I liked so much that I bought three. I think this year it looks like the rally bug has caught my eye. I'm sure next year it will be something else.

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

I still love Tamiya kits, at least the old ones and the re-releases. They've honestly "given" me more in life than any other product I've ever purchased. There's the argument that their variety, flaws and quirkiness give them "soul" although, I prefer to think of it as character. To me, a buggy gains "soul" when its well run and loved over the years, and getting behind the transmitter is like slipping on a familar, comfortable pair of shoes. But I digress.

I guess I'm glad the blinders have come off over the last decade for me. Its good to gain some perspective as well as appreciation for other makes. Tamiya still grabs my interest from time to time like the rally bug you mentioned and the Konghead, but I'm not sure they'll get added to the collection at this point. Besides, I need a JRX2 :wink: .

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

shodog wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm Last year was the anniversary Porsche that I liked so much that I bought three. I think this year it looks like the rally bug has caught my eye. I'm sure next year it will be something else.
Maybe even something else this year..... "47362 Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 Black Edition (TA02SW)".....

The rally bug has caught my eye as well.... but then, I still haven't got around to getting an original MF-01X!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 pm
Maybe even something else this year..... "47362 Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 Black Edition (TA02SW)".....
Alex
Meh! The only thing new about that Porsche is the sticker set and box. That being said, I'lll still probably get one.