What is vintage? Is the timeline moving?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: What is vintage? Is the timeline moving?

Post by RCveteran »

Agreed on buying low. Eventually all of us of a certain age though will be old and headed to the other side and the market will come down for all of this. The nature of any collecting.

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 am Vintage, antique, etc... It's all convoluted. Whatever terminology you choose to go with is up to each individual as there's no set standards when it comes to an age timeline in the world of R/C. Me personally, I've tried to stop using those terms altogether when referring to where my main interests in the hobby lie. When anybody asks me or I talk about my involvement in the hobby, I just say that I'm solely into R/C from around prior to the mid 90s. Yeah that doesn't sound as fancy as saying I'm into "vintage R/C" but it leaves no confusion or guessing to what I exactly mean.

Now changing gears, a good majority of my R/C stuff I consider as an investment. I usually make money on anything R/C related I ever sell. How do I do it? I simply don't buy anything that I know I can't turn for a profit down the road. Even parts I need for projects. If you're patient enough, you can buy just about anything in this hobby for far less than its actual worth. I don't have a steady income, and this method has gotten me out of a lot of jams in the past with paying bills. Buy low, sell high! :P
I use a similar method, though less planned out. I can't pass up a deal, so it leaves no money leftover for higher priced stuff. Then I see more deals, and I have to look around to find what I don't actually need, so I can sell it to buy them.

Speed Chaser
Approved Member

Post by Speed Chaser »

There should be a poll or something for this topic to see what most people on this site consider vintage

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I just scored a B4.1 Worlds's car with box never run. I am holding on to it and will report back in 20 years to this thread with collector results :D That said, I don't mind the B4's, they still look like a proper 2wd buggy to me. I have a B5M and B6 and while technically better I suppose something falls off for me when they start looking like they do. I am sure kids today feel differently though.

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

RCveteran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am I just scored a B4.1 Worlds's car with box never run. I am holding on to it and will report back in 20 years to this thread with collector results :D That said, I don't mind the B4's, they still look like a proper 2wd buggy to me. I have a B5M and B6 and while technically better I suppose something falls off for me when they start looking like they do. I am sure kids today feel differently though.
This is one of the main reasons I'm having a hard time getting back into racing in the mid motor era. I have a B4.1 also, and I agree, the B4 series is the last of the associated cars that look like a buggy should, with the motor in back. I guess Associated's switch to metric with what seems like a heavier influence from TT is also a factor slowing me down in picking a mid motor car. It used to be easy, just get the newest AE car. Some parts, or at least hardware from my parts stash will still work, and it seems like a logical step from my last car. Now the only carryover is the logo on the decals.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I just assumed the B4.1 would be metric. Learn something new everyday. Hmmm, wonder if I could merge a B4 with an aluminum tub.