Now that's some TALL gearing!

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Now that's some TALL gearing!

Post by XLR8 »

An SC10 posted on ebay. The description says it's geared to be fast. I donno but I would say it's geared to melt. :lol:
Attachments
tall gearing.jpg
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Now that's some TALL gearing!

Post by Basher67 »

:lol: Nice. I'm not familiar with the SC10's. Are the gears normally out that far from the motor plate?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

SC10 is a B4 with long arms and a longer chassis. Like the B4, normally there's a large spur gear and a relatively small pinion and the gears are usually closer to the motor plate. Anyway, good luck with your race tomorrow.
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks. Yeah, I figured there was more wrong than just the crazy gearing, like the lack of a slipper clutch. That whole setup looks doomed to fail. :lol: I have to admit, I've experimented with some pretty jack-assy setups over the years, but I sure never let anyone see them. :lol:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I designed a rear motor 4-link pan car once. Everyone said it wouldn't work (too much unsprung weight hanging off the back of the axle). Spent a month building it and it actually looked pretty nice (magnesium front axle beam and rear link stays). Showed it around, raced it once, handled like crap and it's in pieces in a box in the attic. Everyone was right. Total waste of time. :oops:
Doug

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:28 am I designed a rear motor 4-link pan car once. Everyone said it wouldn't work (too much unsprung weight hanging off the back of the axle). Spent a month building it and it actually looked pretty nice (magnesium front axle beam and rear link stays). Showed it around, raced it once, handled like crap and it's in pieces in a box in the attic. Everyone was right. Total waste of time. :oops:
:lol:

that SC10 sports what appears to be smaller wheels... if that mill is on the torquey side, it could maybe be a bit less overgeared than what we all think... just a bit less, but still some :lol:

Who needs a slipper when one has a ball diff anyway :mrgreen: The "overhang" (happy to be schooled on the proper wording, please :) )on the motor and top shaft are hilarious, too :roll:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

A couple summers ago a friend and I built a 1/12 pan car from scratch in an attempt to go after the 1/12 speed record which was 118mph at the time. It was powered by a Castle 1/8 buggy motor and 4s lipo that was geared almost 1:1. It was a monster! Foam tires exploded. Cap tires exploded. We replaced tires almost every run. LOL. Fastest we ever ran was 98mph. Could never get it over the magic 100 mark. No matter what we did we couldnt get the traction needed. We designed and purchased a few parts for a 4wd version but I got bit by the RC heli bug and abandoned the project. I have pics of the 2wd somewhere I should post. It was crazy! :lol:

I might revisit the project sometime

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Was it limited by aerodynamics, or did you always run out of track?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh my! An 1/8 scale motor on 4s in a 1/12 scale pan car would be like dropping an F1 engine in a go-cart. It's no wonder you couldn't keep tires on it. Speaking of tires, I reckon they can be a problem in the 1:1 world as well. Take a look at the "tires" fitted to jet and rocket engined vehicles that compete each year at the Bonneville Salt Flats. They barely even resemble tires.
For your 1/12 car, you might try a custom tire made from a rubber material that's fabric reinforced like say an automotive radiator or heater hose. Assuming the rubber is soft enough to provide sufficient grip, the fabric reinforcement might prevent it from exploding at high speed.
Anyway, yes please post pics. :D
Doug

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Here is my superspeedway gearing for my 21.5 car...
Attachments
13548935_540336206170470_940418095_o.jpg
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Looks like a speed run car in the original post. That setup would be pretty bad for anything else, but thats actually pretty standard for speed runs. Theres a whole community for that kind of stuff. Most of them are a combination of traxxas and Castle, and wiring is often some of the worst I've seen.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

mk-Zero wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm Was it limited by aerodynamics, or did you always run out of track?
Traction was the biggest problem obviously. We tried to address it set up wise as well as aero. I had access to a waterjet at the time and probably made 15 different chassis for it of different design. Rear motor, mid motor, etc. We also had giant wings and side plates like the old dirt oval guys used to do. Surprisingly we never blew it over backwards. Thats not to say it never got airborn but never a blow over. :lol: We hit a fire hydrant at around 80+ once. That was a sight! We even tried doping the road a couple times. I was at a parking lot race one time and they were spraying the surface with root beer. We bought a sprayer and a few gallons of root beer and I sat on the tailgate while my friend drove up and down the road while I sprayed. It worked a bit but not enough.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Timmahhh wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm Looks like a speed run car in the original post. That setup would be pretty bad for anything else, but thats actually pretty standard for speed runs. Theres a whole community for that kind of stuff. Most of them are a combination of traxxas and Castle, and wiring is often some of the worst I've seen.
I think the image in the original post was from an auction for a short course truck with a typical short course body. That seems like an odd thing to use for speed runs but, hey, to each his own (RC can be very diverse hobby). The phrase we used BITD; It's as aerodynamic as a shoe box.

And I agree, it seems that if you're a "balls to the wall" all out, it can never go fast enough kind of RC'er, Castle is your motor of choice. I've no experience with that brand, are they really that powerful?

BTW, It's probably because I was born and raised in Illinois but I've noticed a lot of members here are from that state. :?:
Doug

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 pm BTW, It's probably because I was born and raised in Illinois but I've noticed a lot of members here are from that state. :?:
theres a few of us around here...
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 pm
Timmahhh wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm Looks like a speed run car in the original post. That setup would be pretty bad for anything else, but thats actually pretty standard for speed runs. Theres a whole community for that kind of stuff. Most of them are a combination of traxxas and Castle, and wiring is often some of the worst I've seen.
I think the image in the original post was from an auction for a short course truck with a typical short course body. That seems like an odd thing to use for speed runs but, hey, to each his own (RC can be very diverse hobby). The phrase we used BITD; It's as aerodynamic as a shoe box.

And I agree, it seems that if you're a "balls to the wall" all out, it can never go fast enough kind of RC'er, Castle is your motor of choice. I've no experience with that brand, are they really that powerful?

BTW, It's probably because I was born and raised in Illinois but I've noticed a lot of members here are from that state. :?:
Castle does have some powerful motors, but are a little lower tech than some other stuff available these days