2wd stock buggy racing combo help

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zac_F71
Approved Member

2wd stock buggy racing combo help

Post by Zac_F71 »

I am putting together a B4.1 worlds to race 17.5T stock buggy class at my local track..

The buggy was raced, and needs a going through to be to my standards for "race ready" - I feel I scored with buying a Novak club ESC/17.5T combo for $104 shipped NIB.. but I seen Tekin just released a new RS Gen2/17.5T Redline RPM motor combo

Should I keep the Novak, or resell it and go with a Tekin?

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: 2wd stock buggy racing combo help

Post by yellowdatsun »

Years back Novak was really good, but I've heard from others that they've really taken a nosedive as far as quality goes lately. Again, it's only what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have Castle setups in 4 cars/trucks, and love them. If you don't go with Tekin, I'd highly recommend Castle.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I've gone Tekin brushless with my 1/8 scale and have had zero issues. I also do more bashing than anything so I put them thru the abuse test. Meanwhile, I've got 3 brushless 1/8 scale Novak motors sitting in the 'boatanchor' pile.

Thats just my experience though. Most of the runners locally have gone castle for the cost effectiveness but you didn't do too bad at $104 shipped IMHO. You could always run it til it drops and decide to go another route then. just my 2 cents.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

See I have read reviews that Novak has sadly gone down hill, no real tune-ability, and lack of power in racing conditions

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

In an addendum to my original Castle remarks, I can say that when I pull my B4.2 and 1992 RC10T Buggy off the track after running them, several times I have been asked, "What have you got in that thing?" They are always astonished when I tell them Castle.

People kinda bash Castle because it's not the fancy expensive sensored stuff. But I tell you what, they are super durable, super reliable, and their PC based Castle-Link software allows you to change all the parameters of the esc/motor. You just get the Link adapter for a few bucks, and plug your RC car into your computer. I have a netbook so I can do it at the track, hehe, frickin sweet. I have the Sidewinder 3 4600kv combo in both my cars. It's an extremely good setup for just over $100.

The B4.2 is very fast, and the RC10 has a really hard time NOT doing wheelies. We've had to make some changes to the RC10 because it used to wheelie ALL the way down the straight at our track, haha! Some changes vis the Castle-Link, and adding some weight to the front end. The shorty battery is already forward. We even have a front wing I run sometimes to keep the front end down. It's also geared for speed, not torque, and it still wheelies. Just way more power than the car was ever designed for. I believe 4600 equates to about 10T or so, which is quick.

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

yellowdatsun wrote:In an addendum to my original Castle remarks, I can say that when I pull my B4.2 and 1992 RC10T Buggy off the track after running them, several times I have been asked, "What have you got in that thing?" They are always astonished when I tell them Castle.

People kinda bash Castle because it's not the fancy expensive sensored stuff. But I tell you what, they are super durable, super reliable, and their PC based Castle-Link software allows you to change all the parameters of the esc/motor. You just get the Link adapter for a few bucks, and plug your RC car into your computer. I have a netbook so I can do it at the track, hehe, frickin sweet. I have the Sidewinder 3 4600kv combo in both my cars. It's an extremely good setup for just over $100.

The B4.2 is very fast, and the RC10 has a really hard time NOT doing wheelies. We've had to make some changes to the RC10 because it used to wheelie ALL the way down the straight at our track, haha! Some changes vis the Castle-Link, and adding some weight to the front end. The shorty battery is already forward. We even have a front wing I run sometimes to keep the front end down. It's also geared for speed, not torque, and it still wheelies. Just way more power than the car was ever designed for. I believe 4600 equates to about 10T or so, which is quick.
I know what you mean about Castle - I have that same combo in my Axial Wraith based monster truck, but on 3S power, and yes it's FAST.. what combo would be considered legal for 17.5T racing is my question?

I will probably toss the Novak setup I got in my RC10 Worlds RE-RE

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

You can download the ROAR rules book here, it goes into a great deal of detail about what constitutes a legal motor http://www.roarracing.com/rules.php

I have sensorless motors in a couple bashers and sensored motors in my track cars. In *my opinion* you are better off with a sensored motor in a track car because they are smoother and more predictable, which is what you want to turn good and consistent lap times. Power has little to do with it.

Zac_F71
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F71 »

I'll probably go with the new Tekin Redline 17.5T RPM/ RS Gen2 ESC combo and sell or use the Novak setup in a crawler I have..