Anyone tried this? Yellowed parts white

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Anyone tried this? Yellowed parts white

Post by mrlexan »

This is a new method. Anyone tried this: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=98012&id=22525. I might give it a go.

Maybe it's warpspeed "patented" process?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Anyone tried this? Yellowed parts white

Post by Lowgear »

Somebody here has got to try this. I want to see if it really does work.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

That's awesome, I'm going to try it...oh, wait...sunshine is required and I'm in Seattle. :? :evil:
Gary

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

RedScampi wrote:That's awesome, I'm going to try it...oh, wait...sunshine is required and I'm in Seattle. :? :evil:
I was thinking the same thing, one of the southern boys is gonna have to give this one a try for us. :lol:

I seem to recall that peroxide breaks down in the presence of light which is why it is stored/shipped in dark bottles. I wonder if there is anything but water left by the end of 8h in the sun?

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

i'll try it. i have a light brown (nope not dyed) stealth trans case. i can try it with.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

pity i saw this just now, i could have bought some from the shops today :roll:
surely something has to work :wink:

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I wonder if this would also work with a UV plant light. Might have to try it on a spare stealth case I have tonight.

Thanks!

ED

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I'm wondering if this just takes the plating off and those wheels are a nice white plastic underneath. I hope not. :wink:
Women have used the stuff for ages to bleach their hair and often they would go in the sun to accelerate the process, so there's something there. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:

Oh, and some supporting info (see the 4th bullet in the "Tips" section): http://www.wikihow.com/Bleach-Your-Hair-With-Hydrogen-Peroxide
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, the sunlight thing makes sense, as the UV strips off the extra 02, making it a great oxidizer. I would think it should do a good job. A UV plant bulb should provide the same effect as the sun.

I don't know exacty how the yellowing mechanism works. Is it simply foreign material that embeds in the nylon? if that's the case, the oxidizer will work. if the yellowing is from the UV light breaking down the carbon chain bonds within the nylon, I don't know that it will be effective.

EDIT: actually, I just looked up some chemical and aging properties of nylon, and the 2 things that tend to degrade this plastic are oxygen, and the sunlight, oddly enough.

it is inert to alkali solutions however, so this possibly might be a good method to clean it without degradation. oven cleaner?

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

alright. i have a glass in the sun with one average condition rc10t rear arm and a one side of a very brownish looking stealth case. now seeing i will loose the sun around 6:30 or 7ish in my yard it will only get about 4 hours of sun. depending on the results i may try it again tomorrow if a decent result has not been reached. i only did one arm and half of the stealth case so i can take some side by side shots after it is finished so that if there is any difference you have something to compare it too.

i used a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and tap water. the peroxide i used was very old and has been under my bathroom sink for about 5 years now. if there is any indication that this does work i will pick up distilled water and some fresh bottles of peroxide. i just did not see a point in going to the store and buying stuff if is would not work.

i will post pics tomorrow if there is anything worth posting. if this does indeed work i will test this out on some dyes parts to see what happens later on also.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

ok these did not get a full 8 hours of sunlight. more like 3. sorry was very overcast most of the day. i will do them again later this week to see if multiple treatments continues to help. but even though they did not get the full time and i was forced to use a 50/50 mix (didn't have enough to cover the truck arm without mixing.) i feel that this was a tremendous success. there was no change in the feel, finish or flexibility of the parts. only noticeable difference is the color. i may look into some uv lamps in the future and try it out that way.

if anyone else is trying this please post pics. in my pics i have the treated part next to the untreated part that it is paired with. the 2 arms matched in color before the treatment and the 2 tranny halves also matched each other. they look a lot different in person than they do in the pics. my next trials will use non diluted hydrogen peroxide.
DSC02946 (Small).JPG
DSC02947 (Small).JPG
DSC02949 (Small).JPG

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

i think share in hydrogen peroxide are going to go up :shock: good thread i will be trying this the sun has been out in Seattle for a couple of days

Paul

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

i have been reading up. the stuff i used was 3% hp. since i diluted it 50/50 we are looking at about a 1.5% solution. i am going to make some calls tomorrow to possibly save even more money. we will see how it goes. i will be looking for 35% hp which is food grade. this will save storage space and i will then be able to dilute it to the needed amount. sorry i wont be the one to try whitening parts at 35% though. that's for someone else. :lol: i may try 5% or 10% solutions later on though. anyway i noticed searching that some cleaning supplies contain higher percentages of hp. i have some parts that it would not hurt me to toss in the trash if experimenting don't go well. so we will see.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Cool results. I have some pretty beat up yellowed parts. I will try the full strength on one of those and one in the 3%.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

3% is full strength on the brown bottle stuff we all have in our medicine cabinet or bathroom. :) well of to bed for the night. i have a dyed rear pair of carriers. pumpkin orange :roll: anyway i tossed one in the solution i used today and will let it sit here on my desk until i get home tomorrow (around noonish). it will get no sunlight but also soak for about 13 hours. so we will see what happens with it. but i am not expecting much.