Reason for "cab-forward" modern bodies?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Reason for "cab-forward" modern bodies?

Post by yellowdatsun »

mk-Zero wrote:I don't think I'm missing the point of anything, and frankly it's a bit close-minded to think there is only one "correct" way to enjoy a sport. There are different, equally valid ways. When I'm driving my '44, I care about honing my skills as a driver and turning fast lap times, and beating up on 1/8 scale buggies, and don't give 2 you-know-whats about how much it looks like a "real" buggy. When I mess with RC10's, I enjoy the vintage aspect, and designing and testing new components, and trying new things... the tinkering aspect. With my Axial, I do enjoy the fact that it looks "correct" when I drive it.

By the same token, my quad looks *nothing* like any real aircraft, but I enjoy flying it. Am I missing the point of something there too? :roll:

Hey, it's just an opinion, we each have one, and neither is wrong. I prefer scale looks over faster lap times, hence why I made a B3 body fit my B4. I too would be interested in seeing a controlled experiment on whether the cab-forward bodies make any real difference. I the realm of racing, maybe they do at the very top level. At local racing events, I doubt there's any advantage, because there are SOOO many other variables. One tiny mistake on only one corner would negate their usefulness I'd wager.

As for the quad, at first I couldn't understand why your 4-wheeler was flying, haha! But seriously though, the quad-hex-copters were never designed to look like a real plane. They were never derived from one. It's not like a Cessna body morphed into a quad over 20 years. That's basically what happened to buggies though. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a quad-copter, especially with the POV goggles, but those ain't cheap.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The lap time advantage isn't a legitimate reason. That advantage would only exist against racers not using a cab forward body. If everyone has the same body the advantage is nullified. The class as a whole is just slightly faster.

There are loads of other things that can make these cars faster that are outlawed because they hurt the spirit it of the sport.

Cab-forward bodies are more stable in jumps and add traction which makes the buggies easier to drive. That's why lap times are faster vs. more realistic body styles. They help make drivers with lower ability feel like they're better drivers.

More talented drivers will still win the race. They'll look even better doing if all the ugly cab-forward bodies are banned.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Phin wrote:The lap time advantage isn't a legitimate reason. That advantage would only exist against racers not using a cab forward body. If everyone has the same body the advantage is nullified. The class as a whole is just slightly faster.
Right, which is why I wouldn't want to go back to a realistic looking body on my 44.3. In other words, you "have" to run these bodies now.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

mk-Zero wrote:
Phin wrote:The lap time advantage isn't a legitimate reason. That advantage would only exist against racers not using a cab forward body. If everyone has the same body the advantage is nullified. The class as a whole is just slightly faster.
Right, which is why I wouldn't want to go back to a realistic looking body on my 44.3. In other words, you "have" to run these bodies now.
Not if they were banned. ;)

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Coelacanth wrote:
terry.sc wrote:
LosiXXkid wrote:
That seriously looks like ass. Actually, that looks like a buggy with a rollcage for a diaper.
LOL!!
*** POWDER - KING ***