Brushless setup t4.2

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

village idiot

Brushless setup t4.2

Post by village idiot »

Hi guys I'm looking for some input on a good brushless setup I'm new to the racing scene and I'm not to sure if I'll like or have to much time to race but I'm looking to upgrade my stock t4.2 for those occasions when I am able to race so I don't want to break da bank I'm looking for a sub 200 bux setup if that is possible and also a sensored the tracks I've been to around me are all loose tracks hope someone can point me in the right direction any advice is greatly appreciated
Rc10 OS max 18cv-rx powered
T4.2
Jato 3.3
Revo os21tm powered
Erevo tekin powered
Summit tekin powered

alien3t
Approved Member

Re: Brushless setup t4.2

Post by alien3t »

stock 17.5 blinky class. or something mor eopen to run stock or mod. or just want ot run mod class?

for blinky 17.5 i love my Reedy 800z blackbox. usually 90-100 for esc. 17.5 can get Turnigy from hobby kingfor around 40 bucks Roar race legal. I am running Reedy Mach 2's and love tham. but they run around 100.

Or if mod. Reedy has a new black box 1000 coming out for downt to a 5.5t Turnigy again has mods around 40bucks. (Turnigy is Hobby King house brand)

Or speed passion i like. cna get a 17.5 set up for 100 for esc and motor. or there high end for 130 with motor mod still under $200.

village idiot

Post by village idiot »

it would be better for me to run a mod motor as there was only 2 guys who were running stock rigs that i spoke to and they were in same boat as me looking for a good brushless set up as they're rigs were brand new also if i was to go mod what would be the best ill be on 2s on very loose tracks so what kv range should i really be looking at sorry for the noobish questions i am new to this racing deal and the more i read about motor/esc's the more confused i get
T4.2
Jato 3.3
Revo os21tm powered
Erevo tekin powered
Summit tekin powered

Tamlok
Approved Member

Post by Tamlok »

What size motor do you have in your truck now?

I can vouch for Speed Passion if you are looking for a sensored setup. I have the Reventon Pro with a 13.5 in my B2 buggy and it is plenty fast. I am looking at putting the Reventon R with a 17.5 in my Worlds Car. You can get the R with motor and programmer box for about $100.

If you are looking for a sensorless setup, take a look at Castle Creations, $100 for the combo. I have a Sidewinder 3 with 5700kv motor in my 10T and it is ridiculous. The Castle Link cable ($20) lets you hook up to your computer and to fine tune the settings. Right now I have it dialed down so it doesn't backflip when I pull the trigger. You can download the Castle software on your computer and run it in demo mode to see what it has to offer.

Check with your track and see what is popular. Nothing like investing in a ESC/motor package and find out there aren't enough trucks to make a heat. The track I run at has a Sportsman class (run what you brung), so it wouldn't matter the setup you have. Not the best competition, but fun.

village idiot

Post by village idiot »

i have the stock setup that comes with the t4.2 the reedy 3300kv motor and XP SC600 esc so basically i want something that is modded but not to stupidly powerful to flip the truck evrytime i punch the throttle but no one i saw at the tracks was running stock thats y i was thinking modded motor but i dont want summin thats all balls to the wall and flips my truck i want something i can put the power down but control at the same time i mean i just dont have enough experience with brushless setups to pick hats right and whats wrong and i dun wanna waste $$$ on the wrong setup thats just not going to wok for me
T4.2
Jato 3.3
Revo os21tm powered
Erevo tekin powered
Summit tekin powered

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

WHat gearing do you have in the truck. a 3300kv is kinda like a 11.5/12.5t era kinda motor. I know in the sc10 was a dog with lipo. but changed the gearing. i think it was 18/81 and was a whole new truck.

village idiot

Post by village idiot »

i got the stock set up as it came out of the box ill try the gearing i did add 5000wt diff oil today when i rebuilt diff i know i have 18 and 16 tooth pinions but havent got any spurs laying arround ill grab a few and take it out this weekend and maybe ill bump into the guys and see what they running and then ill have a general idea of what ill need to get to keep up lol
T4.2
Jato 3.3
Revo os21tm powered
Erevo tekin powered
Summit tekin powered

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

From what i see int he manual. looks like stock is 18/87. in the suggestive gear ratio chart, they suggest 19/84 for the 3300kv. just check temps of motor as you do it. But yeah. stock gearing in my brushed sc10 rtr left it dropped in the brushless combo and wasnt much faster. changed gearing and a whole new truck.

village idiot

Post by village idiot »

thanks bud ill grab a few spurs and annother pinion and ill get it out this weekend and see how much better it runs and if itll keep up :~) if not then it would have to be a modded motor?
T4.2
Jato 3.3
Revo os21tm powered
Erevo tekin powered
Summit tekin powered