TRANSPONDER HELP

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R/Cat
Approved Member

TRANSPONDER HELP

Post by R/Cat »

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for the VONATs and wanted to know if the following transponder is appropriate for most tracks including Wolcott Hobbies track. I believe its the most common one used and is the "standard" one most racers are running but it's not cheap so I want to be sure before I order it. Thanks for the help.

MYLAPS RC4 3 WIRE PERSONAL TRANSPONDER RC AMB 10R120 NEW

alien3t
Approved Member

Re: TRANSPONDER HELP

Post by alien3t »

iirc the 2 wire is more versatale than the 3 wire. its also more, and usually harder to get

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The 3 wire transponder is fine as long as all the tracks you are going to race at uses the very latest Mylaps lap counting system as it doesn't work with any other system. Over here a lot of clubs haven't upgraded to the new RC4 decoder as Mylaps charge £1300 for the privilege, so the 3 wire transponder doesn't work at a lot of our tracks.

The 2 wire Mylaps transponder will work with every version of the Mylaps system, but if all the tracks you are going to run on uses the RC4 system then you can save some money with the 3 wire one.

Personally I use MRT PTX transponders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRT-mPTX-Transponder-/282083376568
They work with all systems, cheaper to buy and if it fails MRT will repair or replace it at a discount while Mylaps tell you to go buy a new one.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

terry.sc wrote:The 3 wire transponder is fine as long as all the tracks you are going to race at uses the very latest Mylaps lap counting system as it doesn't work with any other system. Over here a lot of clubs haven't upgraded to the new RC4 decoder as Mylaps charge £1300 for the privilege, so the 3 wire transponder doesn't work at a lot of our tracks.

The 2 wire Mylaps transponder will work with every version of the Mylaps system, but if all the tracks you are going to run on uses the RC4 system then you can save some money with the 3 wire one.

Personally I use MRT PTX transponders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRT-mPTX-Transponder-/282083376568
They work with all systems, cheaper to buy and if it fails MRT will repair or replace it at a discount while Mylaps tell you to go buy a new one.
Great info, thanks guys! I actually had my eye on an MRT transponder a while ago but wasn't sure it would work. Now that you confirmed it I just ordered one. Thanks again.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The MyLaps 2 wire Hybrid will work at all tracks, the 3 wire will not.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

I've had two mylaps pt's fail and both were sent back to mylaps and were replaced at no cost to me.. Supposed to be a life time warranty on them if your the original purchaser and have a copy of the receipt.. I bought mine from Amain and they were sent back to mylaps Australia and both were replaced no problem...

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

yellowdatsun wrote:The MyLaps 2 wire Hybrid will work at all tracks, the 3 wire will not.
Thanks for the info. I chose an MRT transponder because of the $40-45 price difference which is significant for me. Can I mount it inside an enclosed plastic chassis or does it need direct exposure to the lap counter?

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Should be fine mate :mrgreen:

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Not sure about that one, but I took my MyLaps one out of it's holder and sticky taped it directly to the chassis.