Castle Sidewinder ESC issue

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlesmtb
Approved Member

Re: Castle Sidewinder ESC issue

Post by Charlesmtb »

I really appreciate all the feedback guys. This forum has been a great tool in my re-entry into the hobby. I'm going to do some research and see if I can run a 3s lipo with my sidewinder3 if geared properly. I have a top shaft and V2 slipper already in my shopping cart.

Any suggestions on brand of lipo? I'm probably just going to get a replacement for my venom 7c, but if I can exchange it I'm still going to have to run venom lipo. When buying a lipo battery what should I be looking for? I am already set to run EC3 plugs so I'd like to stay with that. I've learned my lesson with my ESC and KNOW I want a performance battery not an entry level. 3s? 2s? I'm running the standard battery tray and really would like to keep that setup. I know I'll probably have to make modifications to the bulkhead.

What's the deal with the batteries with the top bullets/hardpack/multi port communication plug? I tend to see them on ROAR approved packs.

Thanks guys

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Charlesmtb wrote: 3s lipo with my sidewinder?
no. not now.

Charlesmtb wrote:Any suggestions on brand of lipo?
Any brand that your LHS doesn't sell.

Hobbyking turnigy series are good value for money (don't go nanotech, only bad expeeriences with them).
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Tamlok
Approved Member

Post by Tamlok »

I run SPC batteries and have not had any issues.
http://spcracingbatteries.com/index.php?route=common/home

The mAh is the capacity of the battery, the bigger the number, the more run time. I use 5000 mAh.
The "C" rating is the discharge rate. The higher the number, the more power the battery can deliver at once. I use 40C. There is a ton of info on "C" rating. I would just search it and read.
I only run hard packs. They offer protection for the battery vice a soft pack that can get damaged.
The bullet connectors eliminate the EC3/Deans/Traxxas/whatever connector you are using. They are wired to the ESC and eliminate the extra connection (like soldering in a NIMH pack). Look at the picture below.
The "communication" plug is a JST XH3 balancing connector. This is used when charging a LIPO to balance the cells. This is a must, I balance every time I charge, prolongs the life of the battery.

I will take a picture later of my 10T to show you what I had to do to get the pack to fit.

Do you have charger capable of charging LIPOs?
Attachments
lipo.jpg

Charlesmtb
Approved Member

Post by Charlesmtb »

Looking forward to your picture. I purchased a charger that had the capabilities of charging both LIPO and Nimh. Knowing that one day I would make the jump to LIPO. But judging by the comments I've been getting about the battery my LHS sold me I'm assuming the charger is crap also. It's a Prophet sports plus Dynamite 50W charger. And I can't afford to buy a new one right now. So I'm gonna make it work.

Thanks,

Tamlok
Approved Member

Post by Tamlok »

Here are 2 pics of the re-re Worlds Car with LIPO (one standard pack and one shorty pack) and 2 pics of my truck. The re-re has a different rear bulkhead and battery cups to accommodate the bigger lipo packs. As you can see, I had to trim the rear bulkhead and cut the battery cup up front. I recommend cutting the bottom of the rear bulkhead, the top of my cracked so that's why mine is that way. Here are the part numbers for the newer style if you don't want to cut (the new style has no material on the bottom where the battery sits). Pretty sure the rear bulkhead is the same on the truck, someone else verify? The original manuals (10T and Worlds) list the same part numbers for the bulkhead.
rear bulkhead - 6323
battery cup - 6333

That charger should work just fine.
Attachments
rc10worldscf7.jpg
6002-3Q_L_lg.jpg
IMG_20160909_200902.jpg
IMG_20160909_200821.jpg

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I wouldn't go 3S yet. Honestly the 2S with that motor is going to be way more than you've ever experienced before, trust me on this.

As for battery brands - until a couple years ago I was running Gens Ace exclusively because they were rated highest and best for discharge curves etc. And they are really really good batteries but getting harder and harder to source.

So I switched to the Turnigy ones and honestly, I can't tell the difference. I've been running a 6000 mah 60C battery in my T4 and RC10 buggies and it just flies. Run times are insane (well over 30 mins at mostly full throttle) and it just makes for a tire shredding and grin inducing fun time!

Just order them at hobbyking.com and call it a day.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Charlesmtb
Approved Member

Post by Charlesmtb »

Well done boys! You've all outdone yourselves again. Til' we meet again. Going to order the slipper and batteries this week and update my "attic find" thread with images.

Enjoy your weekend!!!!!!!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

No worries. To make your life easier - here is the battery I'm using currently.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20585__Turnigy_nano_tech_6600mah_2S2P_65_130C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack.html

Great battery and cheap relative to the 'name brand' ones out there.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've had good luck with Gens Ace and Turnigy batteries, but I only have a half-dozen cars...some other guys here have a lot more experience with various brands.

I agree, don't put 3S through that vintage car...2S LiPo and a 11 - 13.5T motor will give you all you can handle, most likely.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3