Tekin FX-R ESC

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...
lin6499
Approved Member

Tekin FX-R ESC

Post by lin6499 »

I need a brushed ESC and am interested in FX-R ESC because it is compact.

wonder if it is suitable for a 1/10 EP buggy or not.
Anybody has experience with it?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Tekin FX-R ESC

Post by Coelacanth »

That looks like a nice brushed ESC, works down to a 12T motor, which is pretty powerful for brushed. But at nearly $100, it's way more expensive than I figured.

I'm not sure how much bigger it is, but a Hobbywing 60A brushed ESC has similar specs, for a whopping $21.00:

http://www.rcmart.com/quicrun-brushed-electronic-speed-controller-p-38913.html?cPath=1560_51

EDIT: Here's a comparison of physical specs:

FX-R: 28 x 20 x 10mm / 18g
Hobbywing: 36.5 x 32 x 18 / 39g

Looks like you'll pay quite the premium for just over 1/3 smaller size.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I'd go hobbywing, if it was my money.

I have a similar esc (Tekin) in my rock crawler, came as a set with a 30T motor. Works good, reverse is kinda wonky though. Kind of an all-or-nothing deal. In my experience Hobbywings have been good to me. I have at least 4 of them.

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

Yep, I do need a compact ESC even though I will have to pay much more for just over 1/3 smaller size.

The thing is the FX-R ESCs are mostly mounted to rock crawlers, which I don't have.

All I have are 1/10 buggys.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

can I ask why you need 'brushed' vs. brushless?

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

klavy69 wrote:can I ask why you need 'brushed' vs. brushless?

Todd
Most of my RC cars are vintage, dont think they can handle a powerful brushless.

a smaller brushed ESC will work fine and fit in.

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

Easy response to that is don't use a "powerful" brushless setup.

Most any of these vintage ride can handle a mild 17.5 and I know surely they can all handle a 21.5 or 25.5 setup.

I have Hobbywing Justocks and eco power 17.5's in most of my cars. Blinky is the key cause I do feel the boosted ESC's could cook a vintage gearbox

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Given the Tekin is made for rock crawlers, I'd doubt it could handle a faster buggy motor. They're designed for 30-35T motors, you're likely running half that, meaning much more power. The Tekin doesn't even have a heat sink. You'll likely pay the extra money, and blow the esc.

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

abailey21 wrote:Easy response to that is don't use a "powerful" brushless setup.

Most any of these vintage ride can handle a mild 17.5 and I know surely they can all handle a 21.5 or 25.5 setup.

I have Hobbywing Justocks and eco power 17.5's in most of my cars. Blinky is the key cause I do feel the boosted ESC's could cook a vintage gearbox

I know what you mean, but I need a small esc for my custom-made RC car.

There's no room for a regular size brushed/or brushless esc.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The FX-R is a great buggy ESC. It was never designed for crawlers, it's just useful for them due to its small size. It is a lower budget version of the FX-R Pro which has an unlimited rating, the FX-R uses the same control board, but less FETs. The FX-R will handle brushed motors down to 12 turns,
It has only become a crawler ESC as that is currently the only market for high end brushed ESCs today.

I run the FX-R, both in crawlers and buggies, and they work fine in both types of cars. If you need a small brushed ESC there's nothing else that is so small. Although if you can fit the Hobbywing 1060 into the buggy that would be my recommendation.

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

yellowdatsun wrote:Given the Tekin is made for rock crawlers, I'd doubt it could handle a faster buggy motor. They're designed for 30-35T motors, you're likely running half that, meaning much more power. The Tekin doesn't even have a heat sink. You'll likely pay the extra money, and blow the esc.
Thanks for your comment

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

terry.sc wrote:The FX-R is a great buggy ESC. It was never designed for crawlers, it's just useful for them due to its small size. It is a lower budget version of the FX-R Pro which has an unlimited rating, the FX-R uses the same control board, but less FETs. The FX-R will handle brushed motors down to 12 turns,
It has only become a crawler ESC as that is currently the only market for high end brushed ESCs today.

I run the FX-R, both in crawlers and buggies, and they work fine in both types of cars. If you need a small brushed ESC there's nothing else that is so small. Although if you can fit the Hobbywing 1060 into the buggy that would be my recommendation.

great. I do appreciate your help.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I think it would help us all give you the right advice if we knew exactly what it was going into. You mentioned "custom 1/10 car", but that leaves a LOT of room to play with. You may not want to spill the beans, but it would help determine what's right for your setup.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Good point, yellowdatsun. Back in the day, our vintage cars had MASSIVE ESCs and servos and receivers...I find nowadays that adding modern ESCs and receivers leave TONS of room. I honestly never felt like I needed something even smaller. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

lin6499
Approved Member

Post by lin6499 »

It's about Kyosho Optima with mid motor conversion.

I'll upload some pictures later on.