How light could you get an RC10?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bgruen
Approved Member

How light could you get an RC10?

Post by bgruen »

I spied a 380 sized brushless motor rated at 4400kV and it got me to thinking that the beginner Tamiya cars came with 380s... Then I stopped and realized that 4400kV is a fair amount of power and if the rest of the car was made as light as possible... Might be an interesting experiment. Any other ideas of how to "add lightness" to add to the list below?

• Classic stealth graphite RC10 with the chassis sides trimmed.
  • 380 brushless motor w/ Mamba ESC
  • Small steering servo
  • Spektrum micro receiver
  • 2000mAH 2s battery w CF mount
  • Trimmed or custom motor plate
  • Drilled / trimmed bulkhead
  • CF trans brace
  • Nylon bellcranks
  • Front shocks in the rear with a custom shorty shock tower
  • Trimmed stock rear arms
  • Wide front arms
  • Servo tape instead of hard mounts
  • Aluminum screws and nuts where possible
  • Titanium hinge pins
With brushless being as powerful as it is I kind of wonder if the hobby / industry is clinging to the 540 size just out of tradition. Straight axle pan card would greatly benefit from smaller motors due to less unsprung weight.
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: How light could you get an RC10?

Post by yellowdatsun »

Personally, I find it harder to drive light buggies and trucks. I can drive a heavier (highly modified) Slash faster than my SC5M.

Then you have to deal with racing regulations and such. Sure it may be cool to have a super light weight car, but not being able to race it kinda ruins the idea. Shelf queen also ruins all that work because the shelf won't care how light it is.

But, I'd be curious to see about the 380 motor thing. I have 380 brushless motors in a few of my 1/16 and 1/14 cars. On 3s they are downright uncontrollable, meaning it may just work in something larger. But you'll need a fan for sure.

FWIW, in the opposite direction, the 1/16 Slash comes with a stupidly oversize 550 12T motor. The brushless 380 version still outperforms it.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Just as an aside, the RC10 isn't much heavier than a B5M. I recently weighed many of my cars, and the RC10 was within a very close amount to a B5M. So all the work could be for naught, unless you just happen to want the lightest RC10 because it suits you fancy, which is fine.

Still, try the 380 motor thing, I'm curious. If you do lighten the RC10, just for play, the 380 brushless might just work. Especially if you aren't out to race it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Many of the 540-sized brushless motors are actually 380-sized motors in oversized cans...for example, this Leopard Toro 12T motor I'm using in one of my cars. The ribbed can actually houses a 380 inside.
Capture.JPG
That motor has more power than I'll ever need for a 1/10-scale car with my driving abilities, and I already had to dial down the punch a lot.

That said, there's such a thing as too light, as well. As you decrease weight and increase power, your traction and driveability will suffer, unless you also implement some way to add a lot more downforce.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

That would explain how they can cut the ribs into the can without sacrificing a 540's inner workings, because it's not a 540 inside. I have one like that too, and never thought about it being a 380. Has plenty of power though.

Now someone needs to take an actual 380 and mount it into their car.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The thought of dual brushless 380's in my Dictator has crossed my mind! :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_6035.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

4400 kv 380 motor in a 'stock' JRX2 - plenty of power without needing to lose weight. I still have the motor, actually had it in an LXT for a while. Now, I am planning on what to use it in next :)

[youtube]a34UYgJ3Omw[/youtube]
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Joe6Pack74

Post by Joe6Pack74 »

Coelacanth wrote:Many of the 540-sized brushless motors are actually 380-sized motors in oversized cans...for example, this Leopard Toro 12T motor I'm using in one of my cars. The ribbed can actually houses a 380 inside.
Capture.JPG
That motor has more power than I'll ever need for a 1/10-scale car with my driving abilities, and I already had to dial down the punch a lot.

That said, there's such a thing as too light, as well. As you decrease weight and increase power, your traction and driveability will suffer, unless you also implement some way to add a lot more downforce.
I have been checking out that motor on eBay. I have seen a few bad reviews. How has it worked for you? I am building a mid motor rc10 with a stealth GT trans and have considered that motor/esc combo.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

@ JK Racing - Man you need a wheelie bar for that set up! That was crazy! :shock:
Jeff