Which Brushless Combo?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Which Brushless Combo?

Post by vintage AE »

I just recently won a rolling RTR B4 for $51.oo USD off of ebay, :mrgreen: and I have been thinking about putting a brushless combo system in it. I don't think I will be racing it, although I have been asked by the local RC community if I wanted to. I have never raced B4, oh that's a good one. I have only farted around with friends bashing my vintage RC10s.

Anyway, I have been leaning towards the Novak GTB combo :?: , although the LRP Vector/Sphere looks appealing too. I initially thought that I didn't really need to go that hardcore and just get something like the LRP Eraser/AI combo or the Novak Havoc combo.

Surely there are some opinions on this one :D

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Which Brushless Combo?

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

You certainly can't go wrong with any that you mentioned, but I have 2 Castle systems and love 'em. You can get the Sidewinder 5700 for about $132 shipped on ebay and the Mamba Max 5700 for about $170. The Sidewinder is all you really need. Outta control fast. The Max can run 3s Lipo which gives it even more power. With a B4 knowing what I know now I would just get a Sidewinder. Both speed controls can be programmed thru your computer and run brushed/brushless motors and any kind of battery. They are the best overall value in my opinion.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I bought the Associated LRP Eraser Sport 13.5 Turn Brushless its fast and reliable but the Castle Creations mamba max seems to be the norm I have two friends that have them their powerful. the 5700 is just as fast as the 7700 just more controlable
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

hey theytookmythumb,

thanks, those are pretty good prices, that must be armerican dollars, eh. I will definitely look into those as options.

I am glad you brought up the batteries, because I wasn't thinking about LiPo batteries...I haven't made the transition yet and don't know too much about them :oops: . I hear that they are not as rugged and probably shouldn't be used for bashing, but who am I to say. I was thinking of using a Reedy 3600 Wolfpack.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

vintage AE wrote:hey theytookmythumb,

thanks, those are pretty good prices, that must be armerican dollars, eh. I will definitely look into those as options.

I am glad you brought up the batteries, because I wasn't thinking about LiPo batteries...I haven't made the transition yet and don't know too much about them :oops: . I hear that they are not as rugged and probably shouldn't be used for bashing, but who am I to say. I was thinking of using a Reedy 3600 Wolfpack.
Those will be fine. I'm just saying that if you happen to now, or decide to switch the cut-off is built in. Hell, I'd wait anyway. They get cheaper by the day. The packs are decent, but the chargers are still a bit hi. You can get a Duratrax Onyx 230 for about $80 US and a decent large capacity pack for $75. That's still pretty high when you can still get great deals on NiMh. As for durability you can get hardcase models, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Just saw my ad last night (from the mail), Novak Havok brushless systems for $120...www.hobbypeople.net I dont know if they do international shipping.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

JK Racing wrote:Just saw my ad last night (from the mail), Novak Havok brushless systems for $120...www.hobbypeople.net I dont know if they do international shipping.
that's a good price, I'll look them up.

although, I maybe able to get a good deal on the GTB combo at my favorite local hobby shop, PM Hobbycraft...I'm willing to spend a little more for quality. Not to say the other saren't good. Have you heard anything on the Havoc yet :?:

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

looks like the hobbypeople do ship internationally, I'm going to talk to my local hobby guy first. :D

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

how do the losi excelorin 1/10 scale systems stack up against the other brushless offerings?
I found the speed-T truck for $250. That has the brushless speedo, motor, spektrum rx and decent spektrum tx(with EPA, perfect as a backup) all included. Seems like a decent package deal except for all the extra packaging(ie the truck) that I don't need.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

aconsola wrote:how do the losi excelorin 1/10 scale systems stack up against the other brushless offerings?
I found the speed-T truck for $250. That has the brushless speedo, motor, spektrum rx and decent spektrum tx(with EPA, perfect as a backup) all included. Seems like a decent package deal except for all the extra packaging(ie the truck) that I don't need.
personally, I don't know much about how it stacks up, maybe some of the other know.

as per the truck...they way you word it reminds me of when I had a Honda Civic, where the stereo was more than the car, so funny.

spektrum does make good stuff though...is this an offer :?:

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

JK Racing wrote:Just saw my ad last night (from the mail), Novak Havok brushless systems for $120...www.hobbypeople.net I dont know if they do international shipping.
If their in Canada they do fast shipping to. nice people I bought a airplane kit from them.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

aconsola wrote:how do the losi excelorin 1/10 scale systems stack up against the other brushless offerings?
Perhaps a little too new to be sure, but so far they seem to working reasonably well from what I have heard. Some adjustability with a programming card, no darn blinkity lights, can also do more with a PC like the Castle. One area that the Novak GTB is a little behind on, I don’t know about the new Havok. The Losi sensored motors in particular seem pretty strong, I've seen several Novak guys switch to those motors.

Perhaps y2kgtp can chime in, but I think the Speed T is a sensorless seup. Sensorless is popular for goofing around, but sacrifices some when it comes to consistent starting, low speed control, handling getting knocked backwards. Seems to be worse with higher turn/slower winds, less of an issue with hotter motors strangely enough.

For a package price that would be pretty attractive, even leaving the truck out.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

according to their main page, free ground shipping on orders over 150
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSB0101!1002
place in cart to get the 239.95 price

I think I'm going to pass as I need a sensored esc for the spec motor my track will be using.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

bearrickster wrote:
If their in Canada they do fast shipping to. nice people I bought a airplane kit from them.
Hobby People is based here in SoCal...went to their warehouse sale last year...no vintage, but did get some killer deals

Seems to be worse with higher turn/slower winds, less of an issue with hotter motors strangely enough.
I didnt notice any cogging with my 4600 MM sensorless set up.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

dubfreak
Approved Member

Post by dubfreak »

i have 4 mamba max esc in my rc ,in my tc4 factory mm with 7700kv it amazing , in my comp rig crawler mm with a cobalt puller 7t brused and so much torq just what you need when crawling for me castle creations do realy good stuff warenty is good 1 year (i know novak is 120 days thats not long) but i recomand castle creation as my first choise

frank