REO Raceway Rockport, IN

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

REO Raceway Rockport, IN

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Doubt there are many members near here, but what the hell… :D

They’re having a big off road trophy race today. They had a 3 hour enduro short course race(the last one was 4 hours)at noon and then started all other regular racing at 3:30 or so.

The Enduro Races are pretty cool. You get a 5 man team at $30 a person and then you each switch drivers and batteries every 10 minutes. You start with a brand new Slash. The only thing you can change is the esc plug. The trucks are auctioned off after the race. They went for about $140 today which is pretty cheap for a Slash that has 3 hours on it. They used Strikes last time and they went for like $50, but had the 2.4rx in them which I could use for my M8. Wish I could have made it. I would have bought several just for the rx and turned around and sold them as rollers. Oh well…

They also have trophy races in all the other normal off road classes today. 1/8th E and gas and of course SC trucks are the biggest classes.

Over 130 entries overall just for today! There is an oval trophy race tomorrow which is going to be another huge turnout. I didn’t do the off road and I’m glad because they’ll be there til 1 a.m. at least.

If you live anywhere near here or are ever passing thru you should come by. Great shop and tracks. Indoor off-road and oval + a huge outdoor off road course.

They are getting ready to rebuild both buildings and double the size of the tracks. There’s a lot of debate over how the oval will be set up because SC trucks are the funnest and biggest class, but a 100 ft track is overkill and will turn it into a drag race(which is exactly what we want to avoid). The best part right now is that power is a very small part of the equation.

Here are a couple of cell phone pics a couple of buddies sent me of the crowded pit areas. These are just the main pits and don’t even show the secondary. Great to see such a huge turnout in a small market like this. Wed and Fri night oval. Sat noon off road. PM me if you have any specific questions or interests. Big turnouts all the time and great competition. Hope to see you there! :D

http://www.reoraceway.com/
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: REO Raceway Rockport, IN

If anyone is interested in 1/8th scale gas or E, this should be another big turnout. Over 130 entries a couple of weeks ago just on Saturday and another 100 the next day.

http://www.reoraceway.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2376

And now they've added a 1:1 car to the track. Should be fun! :lol:

http://www.reoraceway.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2371
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

At least Jay took out the "triple of turn marshal death" that was on the backstretch.

Last time I was up there, probably 2 years ago they had a triple that was almost the whole length of the back wall. If you crashed in there it could take a while to get turned over, unless someone was willing to take a truggy to the head.

Come on, off road is fun, you should give it a try. The locals there are pretty darn fast though.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

markt311 wrote:At least Jay took out the "triple of turn marshal death" that was on the backstretch.

Last time I was up there, probably 2 years ago they had a triple that was almost the whole length of the back wall. If you crashed in there it could take a while to get turned over, unless someone was willing to take a truggy to the head.

Come on, off road is fun, you should give it a try. The locals there are pretty darn fast though.
I think that triple was there the first time I went up there. Looked pretty dangerous. He's changed it about 3-4 times in the last year. He's got some serious equipment. The new buildings are going to be huge. I think he's starting construction in March. ...and yes, I need to get off my ass and do some off-road. Just wish there was more interest in 2wd buggy here. :roll:
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

These guys re-configure the indoor and outdoor off-road tracks more than any place on Earth(probably). I guess that's one of the benefits of the owner being an industrial contractor. I just happened upon this video and thought it was funny. I can't believe I didn't already know about it. :lol:

[youtube]aUmHXA5GVbE&feature=grec_index[/youtube]
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

A couple of pics of the outdoor oval before it was in use. Last Summer was kinda crazy and I didn't get an opportunity to race on it. I look forward to it though.

Ken

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

That looks like a real nice place. I think that is about 2 hours away. How far is that from Santa Claus?
Those are my toys and no I will not share!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Probably less than 30 minutes.
Ken

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Definitely going to check that place out in the near future.

Rhino, did you make it over to PT this past weekend?

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

askbob wrote:Definitely going to check that place out in the near future.

Rhino, did you make it over to PT this past weekend?
No I really wanted to but I had to end up working.
Those are my toys and no I will not share!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

mmmmmmm, paperclip oval 8)

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Charlie don't surf wrote:mmmmmmm, paperclip oval 8)
The indoor oval is even tighter. 4-4.5 second laps. It's a blast. :D

Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Here's a video from November of the 17.5 CORR A Main on the indoor off-road track. Once they smooth out it's some pretty fun looking racing. As you might be able to tell I'm getting an itchy trigger finger for some racing, although I prefer the ovals. :mrgreen: They're going to have several big races on the outdoor off-road track this year.

[youtube]6w5wwJuqSKA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Some video from the new (longer :| ) oval at REO. Rick brought my idea of a "hat cam" to fruition. 8) Box stock Slashes and look at the fun! :D Big money race coming up March 4th. :wink: I'd guess 40+ entries in the Slash class alone. :mrgreen:

[youtube]Vn2xvDi2Mj4[/youtube]
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

The outdoor track is re-worked and ready for the season if anyone is close by. Big turnouts and friendly crowd. A bit 1/8th heavy for my taste, but I may go up and run some of the 1/10th classes occasionally. Rain is never an issue since they just move indoors in case you're planning a trip. If anyone does, let me know and I'll try and make it too. :D

http://www.reoraceway.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3226
Ken