What do you consider to be 'vintage' ???

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Re: What do you consider to be 'vintage' ???

Post by Kyoshojoe »

i sincerely apologize and I wont bother with any more posts.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Since I’m a Swede I should probably stay out of this conversati... 8)

Isn’t it so that language changes over time, and the same word can mean different things in relation to the context they are in?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

In the English language specifically, it's astounding the words and definitions that are added yearly due to context.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

gomachv wrote:Here's my take on "vintage". It's a great keyword to use when selling anything. Apart from that, "vintage" should have a date attached. A 1988 vintage rc car versus a vintage rc car can mean very different things. Without a date attached, it has no good meaning other than a great keyword to sell items on eBay.

And actually I gotta say the rustler comment made a bit of sense- vintage rustler while still not having a date attached is an early one, where they still make a modern with compatible components. However, this is where the "what do YOU consider vintage?" part comes in...to me...a Rustler is not a "vintage" rc car. I would not have one in a "vintage" collection. However, I am totally fine with calling it a "1994 vintage" Rustler

And again, this is my take and my opinion only
Nope. Mine 2.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'll comment again on this, though my early post really sums it up very briefly and succinctly.

"Vintage" is an oft-debated word, not just in RC cars, but ANY hobby or interest. The same debate comes up when you're talking 1:1 cars or drums or {insert any object you can think of here}. In my opinion, "vintage" has to exceed a certain number of years to be considered vintage, and vintage doesn't necessarily correlate with value. I would say 20 - 25 years is a minimum for anything to be considered vintage. That means that a current Traxxas model--ANY Traxxas model--will someday become vintage, once it becomes of age. Then I guess they just become "more vintage" as they continue to age. I believe "antique" refers to anything that's 25-plus years old, semantically, at least in the case of 1:1 cars...so might as well be valid for RC cars too. Where I believe "antique" and "vintage" differ is that antiques are usually valuable and desireable and exemplify a higher level of craftsmanship; while this may or may not be the case for "vintage".

So to summarize, "vintage" in my understanding, regardless of hobby or object, is something 20 - 25 years old or older, and that's it. As I've said before and often, vintage crap is still crap; vintage doesn't mean something is valuable, just that it's reached a certain oldness.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Lars, you speak English better then most locals!

Btw, this old argument again? Pft! I'll argue that on the track! In which I will drive my antique car, loaded with vintage rc's to.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Re:

Post by Hcp22 »

kaiser wrote:Lars, you speak English better then most locals!

Thanks for that compliment kaiser, even if I have a hard time believing you on that! :lol:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Dir_wolf

Post by Dir_wolf »

I would consider anything from 1981 to 1994 to be classic, and anything 1980 on down to be vintage.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Vintage depends on how old you are. If you're 15, then an RC10 B4 is vintage. If you're 40, then an RC10 World's Car is vintage. My broad take is vintage seems to generally align with what existed when you were a kid, when you look back as a grown adult.

So for example, I'm 39 years old. To me, a "vintage" car would be a DeLorean DMC or Lamborghini Countach. Something older, like a Ferrari 250GTO, is a "classic" car. Something older still, like a Ford Model T, is "antique."

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I consider this thread to be vintage. Reopened after a 6.5-year depreciation... :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3