What do you consider to be 'vintage' ???

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: What do you consider to be 'vintage' ???

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Kyoshojoe wrote:I could care less if someone is a literary genius, but dont spout statistics or argue the meaning of something based on feelings is all im getting at. look it up and back it up, otherwise its just wiki washy.
Quite frankly sir, I couldn't care less about how intelligent you try to sound. I'm quite certain that those who pose arguments like this on internet forums are the same people who sit back and roll their eyes at human beings interacting in real life while they sit in their corner alone with their intellect. I hate to sound mean here, but if you think that any member here cares about the true meaning of the word "vintage" more than the intended conversation then you're sorely mistaken.

That being said, I do enjoy a good debate as long as it's not political or religious. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Quite frankly sir, I couldn't care less about how intelligent you try to sound. I'm quite certain that those who pose arguments like this on internet forums are the same people who sit back and roll their eyes at human beings interacting in real life while they sit in their corner alone with their intellect. I hate to sound mean here, but if you think that any member here cares about the true meaning of the word "vintage" more than the intended conversation then you're sorely mistaken.
im sure you speak for everyone. and im glad you know me so well, And if I may correct you as to what the o.p. intended, the post was "what do you consider to be Vintage". No mention of old. As I stated The meaning of the word vintage, at least according to webster and the MLA, has nothing to do with specificaly how old it is but rather that it and other items like it are tied to a specific era or date in the past. If you refer to a race or show or any form of competition and are going to use vintage as a descriptor you will set up categories and classes and establish rules and guidelines to suit the needs of your event. can you tell me how old vintage wine is. When you order wine or brandy you might ask what vintage it is, or in layman terms, what year they harvested the grapes. I can go on but as you so kindly put it I have a corner to go sit in. I agree you are an excellent debater and the use of put downs and insults definatly helps prove your point. I am sorry that I was so presumptious to think that the truth was set in stone, but rather that it is determined by majority rule. I guess I should learn to agree with whats posted regardless of accuracy so as not to upset anyone by questioning their unfounded facts and statistics. I dont need invisible friends en mass to bolster my ego or self worth so dont expect me to run with the pack. Its funny how peeps think im trying to sound smart. How would a dumb person know how to sound smart if they werent intelligent enough to know what smart is. so you say my posts are wrong? I simply posted the definition that I looked up and related it to rc cars. Im sure a well run vintage race would have rules about dates and such. there are thousands of shades of 1 color, each a different name, but they are all the same color. Facts and specifics are all that really mater in text not feelings. so go ahead champion the sheeple and speak for them all you want but at the moment you are only one voice that I hear. tell me im wrong then prove it. If you think im being an @#%^%^ thats fine, ill sleep fine knowing you dont like me. I never intended to offend anyone by simply posting a definition and specifics or by making the observation that it seemed as if no one even looked up the word and just assumed it meant old and started discussing how old something has to be to be vintage. How old does a wine have to be to be considered vintage? true men are able admit they are wrong and are open to all considerations. If i am wrong, then I apologize and would ask that my mistakes be explained to me with facts and evidence so I can learn and correct my knowledge base. If you cant do that then just stay silent and keep the presumtions and insults to yourself. It is rude and childish, not to mention low-class.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I apologize if you found my comments personal, but you also solidified my argument by once again bringing up the dictionary meaning of the word vintage. If you would bother to read the posts of the others in this thread you would clearly see that he is not seeking the true definition of the word, but rather it's relationship to the r/c world. I truly do apologize for my statements regarding your personal life. I was waiting for my spicy nuggets to finish their journey through the toaster oven and might have been a bit cranky. I wish you well in your pursuit of perfection. :)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

K JOE, can you break up your posts? Meaning... Some spaces, maybe a few more pauses or using the enter/return key?

When I see you post something, it is one big long sentence and I just skip over it. I am sure you have something useful to read but I just can't do it man. Hard on the eyes and not to proper to follow when reading.

See

What

I

Mean.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: I was waiting for my spicy nuggets to finish their journey through the toaster oven and might have been a bit cranky. :)
Right behind ya, some Jalapeno cheddar chunks and an ice cold Bud Classic just crying for me!! (One in the fridge, one in the oven)
Space
Space

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Looks like my old thread has seen some resurgence of late.

Kyoshojoe, the term vintage (at least in r/c circles) has basicaly been used by many around the world to single out a 'group' or 'class'.
Never was my initial post aimed at describing what exact age a car needs to be before it fits into this 'category' but rather what era. It's always been about a given period really.

For the most of us it would seem the 80's and early 90's fit well within this 'class' and the idea was to open up discussion on what folks on this forum consider to fit within it. Essentially what years of manufacture.

Personaly I'm not sure the term 'vintage' really describes the era all that well but it's a term which we all seem to be stuck on.

So really, how important is it to you exactly what meanings can be lifted from a dictionary anyway? It was never about the word itself mate.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Ya Im not really paying attention to grammar. Im sorry if my posts come across mean and callous, Im trying to present a valid point and back it up with evidence and facts.
K JOE, can you break up your posts? Meaning... Some spaces, maybe a few more pauses or using the enter/return key?

When I see you post something, it is one big long sentence and I just skip over it. I am sure you have something useful to read but I just can't do it man. Hard on the eyes and not to proper to follow when reading.
You are absolutely right, it was late and I was typing away not really trying to be term paper grammar proof. This just goes to show the importance of proper writing.

I find it Kinda funny how no one says im wrong, they just insult me like they know me. I was a bit surprised by the response. I guess thats how some people react to the truth. Plain and simple you can not tell how old something is just by using the descriptor "vintage". It must have parameters to establish what kind of vintage, beyond that it only means tied to the past.

We as a population of over 7 billion people on this planet, have established standardized measures, weights, definitions, etc. in order to facilitate accurate communication and minimize misinformation.

Im not the grammar police and im sorry if I have offended, it was not my intention. If you read my posts I do not insult nor descriminate. I was quite surprised reading through the thread to find that apparently no one took the time to look up the word even though the title is about the meaning of a word.

from here on out I will regard "vintage" as the RC10 era and all else is either old or modern. It seems as that was the answer everyone wants.
I apologize if you found my comments personal, but you also solidified my argument by once again bringing up the dictionary meaning of the word vintage.
i did not "find" the comments personal, they were purposely written to offend me. there is no question there. I do accept your apology and i dont take it personally and actually think this is all hillarious and infated.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: I wouldn't be so sure about that my friend. :wink: I think vintage and nostalgia are close mates and when you see an ad from today 20 years from now it will warm your heart and bring back some fond memories of some "vintage" R/C. Just food for thought. :D

Well I won't know for sure until the time comes but that's the strong feeling I get now. The reason being is since I've had very little interest in the hobbies modern offerings for many years now, I won't have much nostalgia about any of it when it all eventually becomes vintage. I'll always continue to have the same feelings and interest for the golden age stuff though. So that's why I don't necessarily think saying I'm into vintage R/C is the best phrase to use. It's just too broad and generalized of a definition when my sole interests lie within a niche time period of the hobby.

At the end of the day though it really doesn't matter. :) It was just something I kept thinking about which bugged me enough to post about.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Here's my take on "vintage". It's a great keyword to use when selling anything. Apart from that, "vintage" should have a date attached. A 1988 vintage rc car versus a vintage rc car can mean very different things. Without a date attached, it has no good meaning other than a great keyword to sell items on eBay.

And actually I gotta say the rustler comment made a bit of sense- vintage rustler while still not having a date attached is an early one, where they still make a modern with compatible components. However, this is where the "what do YOU consider vintage?" part comes in...to me...a Rustler is not a "vintage" rc car. I would not have one in a "vintage" collection. However, I am totally fine with calling it a "1994 vintage" Rustler

And again, this is my take and my opinion only
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The first person ever to get in a "fight" with Ken :lol: interesting. What vintage was being sampled to enable this? Websters definition of "vintage" may be rooted in wine and spirits, and under those parameters, may refer to last years bounty. In context to RC10talk (and RC in totality...which I'm certain your aware of...otherwise your handle might be RustlerJoe) the nomenclature refers to a period between 1979 and 1994 respectively. You can't really be arguing truth or accuracy of verbage...in the English language...without considering context. Because its English.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Reggie my thoughts exactly.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Charlie don't surf wrote:The first person ever to get in a "fight" with Ken :lol:
I have read and reread Kens posts and can't find a single innuendo either. Something is amiss! :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I'd like to make one final post here and be done with that whole matter on my end. While I do apologize for the low-blow on the personal comment, it's not really directed at just you.

Explanation:

I've been a member here for several years and about once a year a new member comes along who seems to be more interested in arguing or belittling other member's posts than discussing and enjoying R/C. My problem with this is that I've seen many good members go away because of the intellectual bullying that occurs when they try to post a project or point of view. I find it strange because there are plenty of sites on the net that are made just for that purpose, but this is not one of them. It's a very friendly atmosphere here and I hate to see any member come in and poison the water. Just my 2¢.
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

It's times like these that I'm reminded of something a wise man, Peter Griffin, once said........

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... To me everything from 1989 and back is Vintage. Everything from 1990 to present isn't. Pretty simply. :mrgreen:
102 RC vehicles and counting...