Goodwood Festival of Speed England - fullscale

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Goodwood Festival of Speed England - fullscale

Post by DerbyDan »

Loving the Porsche photos V12! :D

I've been to the Festival of Speed two or three times now - always a good event.. but without doubt, the Revival meeting at the Goodwood circuit was better, the emtheisis on that event is to recreate the period when the circuit was open prior to its was re-opening - so 1940s to 1960s. In order to get into the paddock area where you see, hear & smell the cars up an personal you need to be dressed in period clothes - the atmosphere as a result is fab! Everything about the event is dressed up so you really get that stepping back in time feeling.... from the side exhibits, buildings, catering stalls etc etc - even the amulances that you see by the side of the track are period correct (I guess modern ones are present but hidden out of view)

Also a big feature are the vintage aircraft that land & take-off from the centre of the track - in reference to the circuits original use as airfield for the RAF during the 2nd World War. The centre area of the circuit is still operated as a private aerodrome.

[youtube]rnc78LW7V1U[/youtube]

I've also been to LeMans twice - kinda feels like a British invasion of LeSarthe, but its a fab event! Nothing like sitting by the side of the track at 3am in the morning - half cut & half asleep listening to the sound of the variety of race cars still circulating.

V12
Approved Member

Re: Goodwood Festival of Speed England - fullscale

Post by V12 »

Well, if you like Porsche photos, I will have some update but need to sort and resize them. Maybe at the weekend or early next week. Just was visiting the Porsche factory museum and have more photos from there. My favourite Porsche car, the Porsche 917K Team Salzburg which was winning the 1970 Le Mans race was the main reason for the visit there. But there are some other nice cars as well.

BTW if someone like Can-Am cars, I had been at a Classic Race some weeks ago and have photos about Can-Am cars as well. Meanwhile being my favourite race-cars with Group-C.

Regarding Goodwood, I think I might prefere going to Festival of Speed as my interest is more 1960s to 1980s. If there is any interest in visiting and meeting at Goodwood, maybe next year?

I heard there is a fantastic Classic race at Spa, maybe another interesting choice. But whatever Vintage or Classic meeting, I really want to get into the paddock. Just watching at the track is not interesting to me.